CommandLineHandler surprises

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

I am reading the Deep Into Pharo book. I have been playing with the
CommandLineHandler. I have been surprised by some of its behavior.
Though I have used Pharo a long time. I have not played with it from the
command line. I am a very long time Linux user and am very comfortable
on the command line.

When according to the book I execute:

./pharo Pharo.image --list

It will provide me with a list of the available handlers.

I did not expect it to open up an image for me. That is not what I
expected or wanted. I did not intend to use an image at this time. I am
on the command line and expecting to see results there. Not for a new
window to pop up.

As of yet I have always opened up Pharo on the command line. I have yet
to use PharoLauncher, but do intend to do so soon. So I am comfortable
with  Pharo opening up a new window and image from the command line.

However it is very unintuitive and seemingly unnecessary to open up an
image for these command line handlers. I naively think they should
simply return the results. Now if that requires opening a headless image
for a moment and close, then fine.

--list
--help
--version
--copyright
eval
printVersion

Some other handlers I do not know if opening an image is the correct
default. I have not spent the time learning them yet.

Thanks.  Shalom Aleichem.

Jimmie

Re: CommandLineHandler surprises

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Jimmie,

Of course it opens an image, else nothing would work ;-)
I suspect you mean it opens a UI ?
That should not happen, it depends on what your ./pharo actually is or does.
In any case, rest assured, using it on the command line works perfectly.

On the first Linux server that I log in to:

$ cat ~/pharo/bin/pharo
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# some magic to find out the real location of this script dealing with symlinks
DIR=`readlink "$0"` || DIR="$0";
DIR=`dirname "$DIR"`;
cd "$DIR"
DIR=`pwd`
cd - > /dev/null
# disable parameter expansion to forward all arguments unprocessed to the VM
set -f
# run the VM and pass along all arguments as is
"$DIR"/"pharo-vm/pharo" --nodisplay  "$@"

$ ~/pharo/bin/pharo ~/pharo/build/Pharo.image --list
Currently installed Command Line Handlers:
    Fuel            Loads fuel files
    config          Install and inspect Metacello Configurations from the command line
    save            Rename the image and changes file
    update          Load updates
    printVersion    Print image version
    st              Loads and executes .st source files
    test            A command line test runner
    clean           Run image cleanup
    eval            Directly evaluates passed in one line scripts

$ ~/pharo/bin/pharo ~/pharo/build/Pharo.image eval '123 factorial'
12146304367025329675766243241881295855454217088483382315328918161829235892362167668831156960612640202170735835221294047782591091570411651472186029519906261646730733907419814952960000000000000000000000000000

HTH

Sven

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 19:59, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am reading the Deep Into Pharo book. I have been playing with the CommandLineHandler. I have been surprised by some of its behavior. Though I have used Pharo a long time. I have not played with it from the command line. I am a very long time Linux user and am very comfortable on the command line.
>
> When according to the book I execute:
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image --list
>
> It will provide me with a list of the available handlers.
>
> I did not expect it to open up an image for me. That is not what I expected or wanted. I did not intend to use an image at this time. I am on the command line and expecting to see results there. Not for a new window to pop up.
>
> As of yet I have always opened up Pharo on the command line. I have yet to use PharoLauncher, but do intend to do so soon. So I am comfortable with  Pharo opening up a new window and image from the command line.
>
> However it is very unintuitive and seemingly unnecessary to open up an image for these command line handlers. I naively think they should simply return the results. Now if that requires opening a headless image for a moment and close, then fine.
>
> --list
> --help
> --version
> --copyright
> eval
> printVersion
>
> Some other handlers I do not know if opening an image is the correct default. I have not spent the time learning them yet.
>
> Thanks.  Shalom Aleichem.
>
> Jimmie

Re: CommandLineHandler surprises

Jimmie Houchin-5
Yes, I did not express myself well. What I am meaning is that I do not
expect to have a UI window for the image pop-up. But it does, every time.

The difference that I can find is that I have been downloading VMs from
http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/

These VMs have only a "pharo" and not a "pharo-ui". So ./pharo always
opens an image in a UI window.

When I do
wget -O- get.pharo.org/stable+vm | bash

Then it generates a pharo and a pharo-ui script.

This is probably the problem that I am having is that the manual
downloads from the website are not like the zeroconf scripts and so
there are no explicit UI and Headless scripts.

These zeroconf VMs with their differing scripts do exactly as
advertised. Are the generated scripts different for different Linux
distros? Is there a reason for the zipped downloads on the website to
not include them?

I tried the "get" handler and had it install XMLParser. Very nice.

Thanks and Shalom Aleichem.

Jimmie

On 01/27/2016 01:21 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> [...]

> The difference that I can find is that I have been downloading VMs from
> http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/
>
> These VMs have only a "pharo" and not a "pharo-ui". So ./pharo always opens an image in a UI window.
>
> When I do
> wget -O- get.pharo.org/stable+vm | bash
>
> Then it generates a pharo and a pharo-ui script.
>
> This is probably the problem that I am having is that the manual downloads from the website are not like the zeroconf scripts and so there are no explicit UI and Headless scripts.
>
> These zeroconf VMs with their differing scripts do exactly as advertised. Are the generated scripts different for different Linux distros? Is there a reason for the zipped downloads on the website to not include them?

They are not that different. The 'secret' is the --nodisplay VM option, that's all. If you know what you are doing, there is actually something to say for not using the .sh wrapper scripts.

> I tried the "get" handler and had it install XMLParser. Very nice.

Good !

Yes, once it works this is all very slick.

> [...]
>>>
>>> As of yet I have always opened up Pharo on the command line. I have yet to use PharoLauncher, but do intend to do so soon. So I am comfortable with  Pharo opening up a new window and image from the command line.
>>>
>>> However it is very unintuitive and seemingly unnecessary to open up an image for these command line handlers. I naively think they should simply return the results. Now if that requires opening a headless image for a moment and close, then fine.
>>>
>>> --list
>>> --help
>>> --version
>>> --copyright
>>> eval
>>> printVersion
>>>
>>> Some other handlers I do not know if opening an image is the correct default. I have not spent the time learning them yet.

EstebanLM

On 27 Jan 2016, at 23:03, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

yes, the “get” command is one of the lastest cool additions (not because I added it ;) )
but the capability of express

./pharo Pharo.image get Seaside3

(for example)
is very convenient :)

Esteban

Jimmie

Re: CommandLineHandler surprises

Jimmie Houchin-5
The one thing I didn't know and it didn't work was the attempt to get multiple items.

./pharo Pharo.image get XMLParser NBSQLite3

failed. It got the first and ignored the second.

I was just playing and thought I would give it a try. :)

I look forward to seeing what a command line Pharo can be. The best in command line and the best in full UI development, environment and applications. Exciting times.

Shalom Aleichem

Jimmie

On 27 Jan 2016, at 23:28, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:

The one thing I didn't know and it didn't work was the attempt to get multiple items.

./pharo Pharo.image get XMLParser NBSQLite3

failed. It got the first and ignored the second.

yes… I never added that :)
can be easily added, though…

Esteban

On 27 Jan 2016, at 22:56, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Another surprise.

./pharo Pharo.image update

blows up. Both in the stable 4 and 5 and latest (alpha) versions. On the
Pharo 4 version it maxed at 1gb ram and the Pharo 5 versions maxed at
3.8gb ram and both maxed out a cpu thread. The Pharo4 version never
quit, I had to kill. The Pharo5 version core dumped.

Just wanted to let you know.

Shalom Aleichem

Jimmie

On 01/27/2016 12:59 PM, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am reading the Deep Into Pharo book. I have been playing with the
> CommandLineHandler. I have been surprised by some of its behavior.
> Though I have used Pharo a long time. I have not played with it from
> the command line. I am a very long time Linux user and am very
> comfortable on the command line.
>
> When according to the book I execute:
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image --list
>
> It will provide me with a list of the available handlers.
>
> I did not expect it to open up an image for me. That is not what I
> expected or wanted. I did not intend to use an image at this time. I
> am on the command line and expecting to see results there. Not for a
> new window to pop up.
>
> As of yet I have always opened up Pharo on the command line. I have
> yet to use PharoLauncher, but do intend to do so soon. So I am
> comfortable with  Pharo opening up a new window and image from the
> command line.
>
> However it is very unintuitive and seemingly unnecessary to open up an
> image for these command line handlers. I naively think they should
> simply return the results. Now if that requires opening a headless
> image for a moment and close, then fine.
>
> --list
> --help
> --version
> --copyright
> eval
> printVersion
>
> Some other handlers I do not know if opening an image is the correct
> default. I have not spent the time learning them yet.
>
> Thanks.  Shalom Aleichem.
>
> Jimmie

Re: CommandLineHandler surprises

Jimmie Houchin-5
You are right, I just easily added it. :)
Tested it and it works.

Now I just need to go read up on how to "Contribute to Pharo" and become a productive citizen. :)

Shalom Aleichem

Jimmie

On 01/27/2016 04:32 PM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> [...]

--help
--version
--copyright
eval
printVersion

Some other handlers I do not know if opening an image is the correct default. I have not spent the time learning them yet.

Thanks.  Shalom Aleichem.

Jimmie

Re: CommandLineHandler surprises

EstebanLM

> On 27 Jan 2016, at 23:38, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another surprise.
>
> ./pharo Pharo.image update
>
> blows up. Both in the stable 4 and 5 and latest (alpha) versions. On the Pharo 4 version it maxed at 1gb ram and the Pharo 5 versions maxed at 3.8gb ram and both maxed out a cpu thread. The Pharo4 version never quit, I had to kill. The Pharo5 version core dumped.

yes, we are aware.
but that’s not a problem of the command line tools but the update process: it is broken since ages and IMO, we should just remove it (at least hide it).

Esteban