CommandShell

laurent laffont
Hi,

I'm trying to load CommandShell into Pharo.

I have the error:

This package depends on the following classes:
  PluggableTextController
  PluggableTextView
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these definitions:
  ShellWindowView

Do you know where I can find  PluggableTextController and  PluggableTextView ? Or maybe we can use other classes to make it compatible with Pharo

Re: CommandShell

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Laurent,

I have been getting snagged on this for a while now:

    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.pharo.devel/15680

CommandShell itself is of no interest to me (at least not yet), but I load it to get pipes.  I think this could be fixedm, or at least improved, by simply not trying to open the shell on initialization.

Bill

I'm trying to load CommandShell into Pharo.

I have the error:

This package depends on the following classes:
  PluggableTextController
  PluggableTextView
You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these definitions:
  ShellWindowView

Do you know where I can find  PluggableTextController and  PluggableTextView ? Or maybe we can use other classes to make it compatible with Pharo

Cheers,

Laurent Laffont

http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
http://magaloma.blogspot.com/

Re: CommandShell

David T. Lewis
On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 09:30:51AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to load CommandShell into Pharo.
>
> I have the error:
>
> This package depends on the following classes:
>   PluggableTextController
>   PluggableTextView
> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these
> definitions:
>   ShellWindowView
>

> Do you know where I can find  PluggableTextController and  PluggableTextView
> ? Or maybe we can use other classes to make it compatible with Pharo

Hi Laurent,

Sorry for my late response, but the errors that you are encountering are
just missing MVC classes. CommandShell has both a Morphic and an MVC user
interface, but MVC has been removed from Pharo. I think that you can just
ignore the the errors, and the Morphic UI should still work properly.

Yes I should split CommandShell into separate packages in Montecello
so you can just load what you want. But I have not done this yet for
CommandShell or OSProcess.

Dave

Re: CommandShell

Stéphane Ducasse
I'm sure people can help if you need.

On May 27, 2010, at 6:07 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 09:30:51AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to load CommandShell into Pharo.
>>
>> I have the error:
>>
>> This package depends on the following classes:
>>  PluggableTextController
>>  PluggableTextView
>> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these
>> definitions:
>>  ShellWindowView
>>

>> Do you know where I can find  PluggableTextController and  PluggableTextView
>> ? Or maybe we can use other classes to make it compatible with Pharo
>
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Sorry for my late response, but the errors that you are encountering are
> just missing MVC classes. CommandShell has both a Morphic and an MVC user
> interface, but MVC has been removed from Pharo. I think that you can just
> ignore the the errors, and the Morphic UI should still work properly.
>
> Yes I should split CommandShell into separate packages in Montecello
> so you can just load what you want. But I have not done this yet for
> CommandShell or OSProcess.
>
> Dave

Re: CommandShell

laurent laffont
Hi Dave,

I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all isMorphic ifFalse ... stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to adapt to Pharo new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when back at home).

Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't know how to handle differences on world menu and preferences.

For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm sure people can help if you need.

On May 27, 2010, at 6:07 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 09:30:51AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to load CommandShell into Pharo.
>>
>> I have the error:
>>
>> This package depends on the following classes:
>>  PluggableTextController
>>  PluggableTextView
>> You must resolve these dependencies before you will be able to load these
>> definitions:
>>  ShellWindowView
>>

>> Do you know where I can find  PluggableTextController and  PluggableTextView
>> ? Or maybe we can use other classes to make it compatible with Pharo
>
> Hi Laurent,
>
> Sorry for my late response, but the errors that you are encountering are
> just missing MVC classes. CommandShell has both a Morphic and an MVC user
> interface, but MVC has been removed from Pharo. I think that you can just
> ignore the the errors, and the Morphic UI should still work properly.
>
> Yes I should split CommandShell into separate packages in Montecello
> so you can just load what you want. But I have not done this yet for
> CommandShell or OSProcess.
>
> Dave

Re: CommandShell

David T. Lewis
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all isMorphic ifFalse ...
> stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to adapt to Pharo
> new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when back at home).
>
> Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't know how to
> handle differences on world menu and preferences.
>
> For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?

Hi Laurent,

Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes, especially the
menu registration fixes.

I do want to keep this working on MVC and on other Squeak images. What
I really need to do is repackage CommandShell and OSProcess so that
everything is not all in two giant packages. I originally "packaged"
these many years ago before Squeak had real packages and Monticello,
so I basically separated things into two completely separate SAR packages
that could be independently maintained (even though CommandShell and
OSProcess were intended to work together). That was quite a project
at the time, but it is badly out of date now, so I need to go back
and make this stuff work properly with Metacello configurations.

Dave

Re: CommandShell

laurent laffont
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all isMorphic ifFalse ...
> stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to adapt to Pharo
> new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when back at home).
>
> Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't know how to
> handle differences on world menu and preferences.
>
> For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?

Hi Laurent,

Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes, especially the
menu registration fixes.

For menu registration, add

CommandShell class>>#menuCommandOn: aBuilder
<worldMenu>
(aBuilder item: #'Command Shell')
parent: #Tools;
action:[self open];
help: 'Smalltalk simulation of a Unix command shell '.

and comment / remove Preferences in CommandShell class>>#initialize.

Laurent

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:56:45PM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 09:04:37AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> > > Hi Dave,
> > >
> > > I've managed to make it running in Pharo (remove all isMorphic ifFalse
> > > stuff, change menu registration, a little work is needed to adapt to
> > Pharo
> > > new settings system). It works (I can publish a package when back at
> > home).
> > >
> > > Now I suppose you want to keep it running on Squeak, I don't know how to
> > > handle differences on world menu and preferences.
> > >
> > > For the MVC part, is there some value in keeping it ?
> >
> > Hi Laurent,
> >
> > Thanks, I would be very interested in seeing your changes, especially the
> > menu registration fixes.
> >

> For menu registration, add
>
> CommandShell class>>#menuCommandOn: aBuilder
> <worldMenu>
>  (aBuilder item: #'Command Shell')
> parent: #Tools;
> action:[self open];
>  help: 'Smalltalk simulation of a Unix command shell '.
>
> and comment / remove Preferences in CommandShell class>>#initialize.

Laurent,

Thank you, much appreciated.

Dave

Re: CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
laurent laffont wrote
It works (I can publish a package when back at home).
Did you ever publish this anywhere? I didn't see it on SqS and I need it!

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: CommandShell

laurent laffont

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

laurent laffont wrote:

> It works (I can publish a package when back at home).

Did you ever publish this anywhere? I didn't see it on SqS and I need it!

It seems no.

Laurent.

Thanks.
Sean

Re: CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
After loading CommandShell-dtl.50 (and .45, which works in Squeak 4.1), when I evaluate:
    (PipeableOSProcess command: 'ls') output

I get a NonBooleanReceiver error when AttachableFileStream>>upToEndOfFile calls #atEndOfFile, which returns nil.

Sean

p.s. I also tried loading the latest Pharo package from the CommandShell repo
Cheers,
Sean

Re: CommandShell

David T. Lewis
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:55:17PM -0800, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> After loading CommandShell-dtl.50 (and .45, which works in Squeak 4.1), when
> I evaluate:
>     (PipeableOSProcess command: 'ls') output
>
> I get a NonBooleanReceiver error when AttachableFileStream>>upToEndOfFile
> calls #atEndOfFile, which returns nil.
>
> Sean
>
> p.s. I also tried loading the latest Pharo package from the CommandShell
> repo

Regardless of whether you are using a Squeak or Pharo image, I always
suggest using the latest versions of OSProcess and CommandShell from
SqueakSource. I develop in Squeak, but have tried to maintain compatibility
with Pharo. If something does not work it Pharo, it's a bug.

Dave

Re: CommandShell

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
David T. Lewis wrote
If something does not work it Pharo, it's a bug.
Forgot to mention I'm on Pharo 1.1.1 with 4.2.5 Mac VM.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean