Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi,

I like the idea of the Commander library https://github.com/dionisiydk/Commander
I am trying to understand how to use it, but I struggle to understand it as documentation includes quiete complex examples: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Commander/Commander.html

I believe that it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows:

1. create a command CmdOne including methods,
2. create a activator ActOne including methods,
3. create a context CtxOne including methods,
4. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with one item (CmdOne instance?)
5. create command CmdTwo with some methods
6. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with two items

Then next section could describe how to make a UI on top of this.

Learning it by exploring Calypso is too complex, because it involves more objects and I actually do not see how to do the previous steps.

I will be happy to help with the documentation.
My question is: How can I proceed the mentioned steps?

Thanks,
Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Juraj.

Yes. documentation needs to be improved. I made only pass on it.
Now there is new Commander version. The code still in dev branch. The basic idea is same but some names are changed and internally it is based on ClassAnnotation's. It became more simple and flexible.
This week I should release new Calypso version. And after I will work on documentation for both projects. Commander will be first. And next week I will have update on it.

I like the idea of the Commander library https://github.com/dionisiydk/Commander
I am trying to understand how to use it, but I struggle to understand it as documentation includes quiete complex examples: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Commander/Commander.html

I believe that it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows:

1. create a command CmdOne including methods,
2. create a activator ActOne including methods,
3. create a context CtxOne including methods,
4. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with one item (CmdOne instance?)
5. create command CmdTwo with some methods
6. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with two items

Then next section could describe how to make a UI on top of this.

Thank's for initiative. It is exactly what I will do.

Learning it by exploring Calypso is too complex, because it involves more objects and I actually do not see how to do the previous steps.

I agree, current version is a bit complicated inside. But it is already fixed. And there will be update soon.

I will be happy to help with the documentation.
My question is: How can I proceed the mentioned steps?

I would appreciate for your help. I will call you for review next week.

Best regards,
Denis

Thanks,
Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi Denis,

Thank you. Let me know. I will be happy to help.

Juraj

On Dec 5, 2017, at 18:43, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks a lot Juraj.
This is great to have a client :) and we will work on the new version
of the documentation.

Stef