Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi,

I like the idea of the Commander library https://github.com/dionisiydk/Commander
I am trying to understand how to use it, but I struggle to understand it as documentation includes quiete complex examples: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Commander/Commander.html

I believe that it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows:

1. create a command CmdOne including methods,
2. create a activator ActOne including methods,
3. create a context CtxOne including methods,
4. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with one item (CmdOne instance?)
5. create command CmdTwo with some methods
6. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with two items

Then next section could describe how to make a UI on top of this.

Learning it by exploring Calypso is too complex, because it involves more objects and I actually do not see how to do the previous steps.

I will be happy to help with the documentation.
My question is: How can I proceed the mentioned steps?

Thanks,
Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Juraj.

Yes. documentation needs to be improved. I made only pass on it.
Now there is new Commander version. The code still in dev branch. The basic idea is same but some names are changed and internally it is based on ClassAnnotation's. It became more simple and flexible.
This week I should release new Calypso version. And after I will work on documentation for both projects. Commander will be first. And next week I will have update on it.

I like the idea of the Commander library https://github.com/dionisiydk/Commander
I am trying to understand how to use it, but I struggle to understand it as documentation includes quiete complex examples: https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Commander/Commander.html

I believe that it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows:

1. create a command CmdOne including methods,
2. create a activator ActOne including methods,
3. create a context CtxOne including methods,
4. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with one item (CmdOne instance?)
5. create command CmdTwo with some methods
6. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with two items

Then next section could describe how to make a UI on top of this.

Thank's for initiative. It is exactly what I will do.

Learning it by exploring Calypso is too complex, because it involves more objects and I actually do not see how to do the previous steps.

I agree, current version is a bit complicated inside. But it is already fixed. And there will be update soon.

I will be happy to help with the documentation.
My question is: How can I proceed the mentioned steps?

I would appreciate for your help. I will call you for review next week.

Best regards,
Denis

Thanks,
Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi Denis,

Thank you. Let me know. I will be happy to help.

Juraj

On Dec 5, 2017, at 18:43, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks a lot Juraj.
This is great to have a client :) and we will work on the new version
of the documentation.

Stef

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I like the idea of the Commander library
> https://github.com/dionisiydk/Commander
> I am trying to understand how to use it, but I struggle to understand it as
> documentation includes quiete complex examples:
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoBookWorkInProgress/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Commander/Commander.html
>
> I believe that it would be useful to have a tutorial that shows:
>
> 1. create a command CmdOne including methods,
> 2. create a activator ActOne including methods,
> 3. create a context CtxOne including methods,
> 4. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with one item
> (CmdOne instance?)
> 5. create command CmdTwo with some methods
> 6. execute <I do not know what> and you obtain a collection with two items
>
> Then next section could describe how to make a UI on top of this.
>
> Learning it by exploring Calypso is too complex, because it involves more
> objects and I actually do not see how to do the previous steps.
>
> I will be happy to help with the documentation.
> My question is: How can I proceed the mentioned steps?
>
> Thanks,
> Juraj

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov
Hi Juraj.

You can find new version here https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure. It is still draft version but in general all parts are covered now.

[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Denis Kudriashov wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure

Cool! Can't wait to read :) One small question: why
"Booklet-Infrastructure"? That doesn't seem to match up to "A booklet on the
infrastructure of the Calypso tool suite"…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov
Hi

Denis Kudriashov wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure

Cool! Can't wait to read :)

And feel free to pull requests.

One small question: why
"Booklet-Infrastructure"? That doesn't seem to match up to "A booklet on the
infrastructure of the Calypso tool suite"…

It's question to Stef :). I just updated prepared chapters.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov

Hi

Denis Kudriashov wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure

Cool! Can't wait to read :)

Also notice, the Calypso chapter is in wrong state. Do not try read it. Next year I will push it

And feel free to pull requests.

One small question: why
"Booklet-Infrastructure"? That doesn't seem to match up to "A booklet on the
infrastructure of the Calypso tool suite"…

It's question to Stef :). I just updated prepared chapters.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi Denis,

thanks! I will read it soon.

You say that Calypso chapter is in wrong state. What chapters are up-to-date? I guess that Chapter 3 is what you updated recently, right?

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 28, 2017, at 07:03, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

Denis Kudriashov wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure

Cool! Can't wait to read :)

Also notice, the Calypso chapter is in wrong state. Do not try read it. Next year I will push it

And feel free to pull requests.

One small question: why
"Booklet-Infrastructure"? That doesn't seem to match up to "A booklet on the
infrastructure of the Calypso tool suite"…

It's question to Stef :). I just updated prepared chapters.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Commander feedback

Denis Kudriashov
Only Calypso is not ready.

Hi Denis,

thanks! I will read it soon.

You say that Calypso chapter is in wrong state. What chapters are up-to-date? I guess that Chapter 3 is what you updated recently, right?

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 28, 2017, at 07:03, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

Denis Kudriashov wrote
> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/Booklet-Infrastructure

Cool! Can't wait to read :)

Also notice, the Calypso chapter is in wrong state. Do not try read it. Next year I will push it

And feel free to pull requests.

One small question: why
"Booklet-Infrastructure"? That doesn't seem to match up to "A booklet on the
infrastructure of the Calypso tool suite"…

It's question to Stef :). I just updated prepared chapters.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Commander feedback

Juraj Kubelka
Hi Denis,

I finally read Section 3. I left two comments where I do not understand why something happens. I will appreciate a further explanation :-)

I have found out that the code in the Calypso chapter does not work. I was able to change some of them. Do you want me to commit what I was able to change? Well, you should check if the changes are correct.

Cheers,
Juraj

On Dec 27, 2017, at 13:20, Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hy Juraj,

Do not spend time in Calypso part and even do not read it :). It is super outdated and very draft. I am now working on it.

I will look you changes soon.

[...]

And thank's a lot, Juraj.

Very impressive review :). I will answer questions later

[...]

Thank you Denis.

I was able to create two Calypso commands that generate abstract and concrete accept: methods.

Cheers,
Juraj