Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Juli Permana

I'm newbie on VAST programming and find difficult in making script because I don't have a refference manual about commands and functions used by VAST script. Is there any refference on commands and functions used by the script ? Help me please ...

Re: Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Seth Berman
Hi Juli,

I think I need some clarification on your meaning.
When you say "script" and "commands and functions" used by it, are you asking how to write VA Smalltalk in the same manner as one would do with a scripting language (i.e. bash, perl...)?

-- Seth

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:26:21 AM UTC-4, Juli Permana wrote:

I'm newbie on VAST programming and find difficult in making script because I don't have a refference manual about commands and functions used by VAST script. Is there any refference on commands and functions used by the script ? Help me please ...

Re: Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Marten Feldtmann-2
When talking about "script" programming under VA you seem to work with the VA Organizer and that stuff: the answer is easy and the result is difficult: it a normal Smalltalk source code text editor and you may type in all stuff, that is available in your image. The term "script" is one of the marketing things belonging to the IBM history of this product.

You may - perhaps - have a better overview when working with the "Applications Browser" (Menu -> Tools -> Browse Applications).

Am Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2014 06:26:21 UTC+2 schrieb Juli Permana:

I'm newbie on VAST programming and find difficult in making script because I don't have a refference manual about commands and functions used by VAST script. Is there any refference on commands and functions used by the script ? Help me please ...

Re: Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Juli Permana
Hi Seth, thank you for your attention.
Yes that's what I mean. I gave example such when I want to convert text variable to numeric variable, I wrote the code just like this:
a3 := (self subpartNamed: 'txtNoVoc') object asNumber
where "txtNoVoc" is a text-part with character type.
My question is where I can find the manual refference about the command/function "asNumber", how to code it (syntax of commands/functions), as well as: asString, ifTrue:[] / ifFalse:[], isNil, nil, AbtDatabaseConnectionSpec, conSpec connectUsingAlias:, etc.

PT TASPEN (PERSERO)
Kepala SPIDA Surabaya,
JULI PERMANA A.
NIK. 1685

Hi Juli,

I think I need some clarification on your meaning.
When you say "script" and "commands and functions" used by it, are you asking how to write VA Smalltalk in the same manner as one would do with a scripting language (i.e. bash, perl...)?

-- Seth

On Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:26:21 AM UTC-4, Juli Permana wrote:

I'm newbie on VAST programming and find difficult in making script because I don't have a refference manual about commands and functions used by VAST script. Is there any refference on commands and functions used by the script ? Help me please ...

Re: Commands and functions refference of VAST script

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Juli,

for such basic questions I would suggest you consult the online help [1], the old IBM Visual Age Programmer's Reference [2] or a professional training [3] + [4] + [5].
This way you will become familiar with VASmalltalk's IDE with much less headache and will have success in your projcet a lot faster.

[1]http://www.instantiations.com/docs/FAQ/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm
[2]http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27000344&aid=1
[3]http://kmhitech.com/training/
[4]http://www.simberon.com/smalltalk_courses.htm
[5]http://www.objektfabrik.de/Dienstleistungen/schulungen.html (provides english lessons too)

Cheers!
Sebastian

Am 26.06.2014 23:05, schrieb Juli Permana:
[...]

Shame on me, I am very sorry about that but this might be the best source for your first steps:

http://www.jarober.com/blog/st4u.ssp
Considering your usecase you might want to start here:
http://www.jarober.com/blog/blogView?content=st4u_va_parts

Sebastian

Am 26.06.2014 23:26, schrieb 'Sebastian Heidbrink' via VA Smalltalk:
[...]

Thank you Sebastian Heidbrink and Marten Feldtmann. I hope thats can help my difficulties.

PT TASPEN (PERSERO)
Kepala SPIDA Surabaya,
JULI PERMANA A.
NIK. 1685