Community Development (a suggestion)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Since there is a major push in both Squeak and Pharo to be clear about what's loading where, and get more and more projects loadable; and the community is fixing projects that we don't own...

I propose:
1. Everyone make your SqS repos globally writable unless you have a reason not to.
2. SqS admins, send an email to all the repo admins requesting this.

Motivation: I've been fixing many projects as I try to load them, as a service to the community, but I am not necessarily taking on being responsible for their long-term maintenance.  Right now, the process seems to be:
1. Upload fixes to my own repo
2. Email the project admin (if they are even still findable)
3. Post to the mailing lists with the new link
4. Wait for a response

Not only is this more complicated than it has to be, but creates confusion.  For example, I fixed ExternalWebBrowser to work in Pharo, but couldn't upload it to the project repo.  Now I fixed the ConfigurationOf.  Where do I put it?  If I put it in the usual places, it will now point to my personal repository.  It doesn't seem right to hijack someone else's project this way.  And it's confusing for users - why are there two ExternalWebBrowsers and ConfigurationOfs on squeaksource?

Thanks.
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Community Development (a suggestion)

Frank Shearar
On 2010/05/20 16:56, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Since there is a major push in both Squeak and Pharo to be clear about what's
> fixing projects that we don't own...
>
> I propose:
> 1. Everyone make your SqS repos globally writable unless you have a reason
> not to.
> 2. SqS admins, send an email to all the repo admins requesting this.
>
> Motivation: I've been fixing many projects as I try to load them, as a
> service to the community, but I am not necessarily taking on being
> responsible for their long-term maintenance.  Right now, the process seems
> to be:
> 1. Upload fixes to my own repo
> 2. Email the project admin (if they are even still findable)
> 3. Post to the mailing lists with the new link
> 4. Wait for a response
>
> Not only is this more complicated than it has to be, but creates confusion.
> For example, I fixed ExternalWebBrowser to work in Pharo, but couldn't
> upload it to the project repo.  Now I fixed the ConfigurationOf.  Where do I
> put it?  If I put it in the usual places, it will now point to my personal
> repository.  It doesn't seem right to hijack someone else's project this
> way.  And it's confusing for users - why are there two ExternalWebBrowsers
> and ConfigurationOfs on squeaksource?

My own are very very idle (even though I do plan to resuscitate them):

* http://www.squeaksource.com/SipStack
* http://www.squeaksource.com/ImageMap

They're now world-writable.

It's been too long since I last used SqS, and I see there are some new
features. I'm not too sure though on the new settings. "Send emails to:
address:" - is that an email address to which commits are sent? For
instance, for trunk/inbox, these are set to squeak-dev?

frank