Community Supported Packages

12

Re: Community Supported Packages

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
I like the idea of a tiny Squeak 4.2 with a large number of contributed
packages. While it would be great to be able to load every single of
these packages into the same image (that would certainly be a
FunSqueak!) this seems to conflict with the idea of supporinting both
Seaside 2.8 and Seaside 3.0. Unless we adopt a namespace solution, but
even then it won't be that easy.

Most Linux distributions allow the definition of virtual packages which
can be mapped to multiple actual packages, only one of which can be
loaded at a time. This would be used to select between two different
(but compatible) XML parsers, for example. It could be used to select
between Seaside 2.8 and 3.0, but these are probably not compatible (or
there would be no interest in getting the older version, right?).

Another use of virtual packages is already handled by configurations -
to be able to just say "KDE" and have dozens of needed packages loaded.
We can use this to make it easier to have a web development or an Etoys
or a Croquet version of 4.2.

-- Jecel

12