Quantcast

Community in the IDE

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Community in the IDE

laurent laffont
Hi,

an idea I haven't found the courage to implement but may not be hard and can have an impact (at least fun to code). 

- Write / put a chat server on seasidehosting|INRIA|whatever
- Pharo image includes a chat client per default
- uses Author as nickname

So as soon as we open an image we are connected to other users. Can be interesting in courses as students are directly connected to *real* developpers while learning (and students love to chat :).

So we can exchange snippets instantly, ask questions, ...

Someone ?

Cheers,

_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Max Leske
No time, sorry. But I definitely second that!

Max


On 17.09.2010, at 10:30, laurent laffont wrote:

Hi,

an idea I haven't found the courage to implement but may not be hard and can have an impact (at least fun to code). 

- Write / put a chat server on seasidehosting|INRIA|whatever
- Pharo image includes a chat client per default
- uses Author as nickname

So as soon as we open an image we are connected to other users. Can be interesting in courses as students are directly connected to *real* developpers while learning (and students love to chat :).

So we can exchange snippets instantly, ask questions, ...

Someone ?

Cheers,
_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Stéphane Ducasse
+1

Stef

On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Max Leske wrote:

> No time, sorry. But I definitely second that!
>
> Max
>
>
> On 17.09.2010, at 10:30, laurent laffont wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> an idea I haven't found the courage to implement but may not be hard and can have an impact (at least fun to code).
>>
>> - Write / put a chat server on seasidehosting|INRIA|whatever
>> - Pharo image includes a chat client per default
>> - uses Author as nickname
>>
>> So as soon as we open an image we are connected to other users. Can be interesting in courses as students are directly connected to *real* developpers while learning (and students love to chat :).
>>
>> So we can exchange snippets instantly, ask questions, ...
>>
>> Someone ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Laurent Laffont
>>
>> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/
>> http://magaloma.blogspot.com/
>> _______________________________________________
>> Pharo-project mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
>
> _______________________________________________
> Pharo-project mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

George Herolyants-3
Implemented in some commercial Java IDE. Never tried, but sounds great! :)

_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Göran Krampe
On 09/17/2010 12:58 PM, George Herolyants wrote:
> Implemented in some commercial Java IDE. Never tried, but sounds great! :)

I have thought about going further - a publish/subscribe system for
"development events" where you decide what events you want to publish
and what you want to receive. Then you could get immediate feedback if
someone *right now* is modifying a class you wrote, or if someone is
publishing a new version of a package you are using etc etc.

regards, Göran

_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

laurent laffont
2010/9/18 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>
On 09/17/2010 12:58 PM, George Herolyants wrote:
Implemented in some commercial Java IDE. Never tried, but sounds great! :)

I have thought about going further - a publish/subscribe system for "development events" where you decide what events you want to publish and what you want to receive. Then you could get immediate feedback if someone *right now* is modifying a class you wrote, or if someone is publishing a new version of a package you are using etc etc.

I like the idea.

Do someone know a working IRC client (or have the courage to don his superhero costume and make it working to save our lives :) on Pharo ? So we can use #pharo-project channel on irc.freenode.net.

Cheers,

 

regards, Göran


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Mariano Martinez Peck


2010/9/18 laurent laffont <[hidden email]>
2010/9/18 Göran Krampe <[hidden email]>

On 09/17/2010 12:58 PM, George Herolyants wrote:
Implemented in some commercial Java IDE. Never tried, but sounds great! :)

I have thought about going further - a publish/subscribe system for "development events" where you decide what events you want to publish and what you want to receive. Then you could get immediate feedback if someone *right now* is modifying a class you wrote, or if someone is publishing a new version of a package you are using etc etc.

I like the idea.

Do someone know a working IRC client (or have the courage to don his superhero costume and make it working to save our lives :) on Pharo ? So we can use #pharo-project channel on irc.freenode.net.

I know there was. I think Edgar use to have it in SqueakFUn or similar....not sure where, maybe this:

http://map.squeak.org/package/895674d5-0063-49f9-890d-03a69d45b157

http://squeak.preeminent.org/irc-help/irc-help.html
 

regards, Göran


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project


_______________________________________________
Pharo-project mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharo-project
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Benjamin Van Ryseghem
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
In reply to this post by laurent laffont
Hello guys, 

I've done a very simple Pharo Messenger that you can test here: 

Gofer new 
        squeaksource: 'PharoInstantMessenge'; 
        package: 'PIM'; 
        load 

For launching the server: 
      ChatServerLauncher launch: aPortNumber. 

For launching the client: 
      WindowsManager default openInWorld. 


I will see if I can found a server to put the image :) 


Thanks in advance for your feedbacks, 

Ben
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Tudor Girba
Cool initiative.

I gave it a try, but could not get it to work. What I did was to start it on port 8000, and then try to connect to localhost / 8000 (in the dialog).

What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
Doru


On 22 Feb 2011, at 17:35, Benjamin wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> I've done a very simple Pharo Messenger that you can test here:
>
> Gofer new
>         squeaksource: 'PharoInstantMessenge';
>         package: 'PIM';
>         load
>
> For launching the server:
>       ChatServerLauncher launch: aPortNumber.
>
> For launching the client:
>       WindowsManager default openInWorld.
>
>
> I will see if I can found a server to put the image :)
>
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks,
>
> Ben

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Here, if I click on Connection, it works.


Ok I see what you did wrong (it's my bad ...)
The connection crappy UI don't show that you have to put a nickname yet :s


Try with a nick :)

Ben




On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Cool initiative.
>
> I gave it a try, but could not get it to work. What I did was to start it on port 8000, and then try to connect to localhost / 8000 (in the dialog).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 22 Feb 2011, at 17:35, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I've done a very simple Pharo Messenger that you can test here:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>        squeaksource: 'PharoInstantMessenge';
>>        package: 'PIM';
>>        load
>>
>> For launching the server:
>>      ChatServerLauncher launch: aPortNumber.
>>
>> For launching the client:
>>      WindowsManager default openInWorld.
>>
>>
>> I will see if I can found a server to put the image :)
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks,
>>
>> Ben
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
>


Screen shot 2011-02-22 at 6.59.01 PM.png (79K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba
I've improved the COnnection Window UI, so if you wanna retry now, I hope it should work ^^


Thanks in advance,

Ben

On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Cool initiative.
>
> I gave it a try, but could not get it to work. What I did was to start it on port 8000, and then try to connect to localhost / 8000 (in the dialog).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 22 Feb 2011, at 17:35, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I've done a very simple Pharo Messenger that you can test here:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>        squeaksource: 'PharoInstantMessenge';
>>        package: 'PIM';
>>        load
>>
>> For launching the server:
>>      ChatServerLauncher launch: aPortNumber.
>>
>> For launching the client:
>>      WindowsManager default openInWorld.
>>
>>
>> I will see if I can found a server to put the image :)
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks,
>>
>> Ben
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Community in the IDE

laurent laffont
Hi Benjamin,

I've tried it:
- if I don't put a # in front of nickname => MNU
- if I don't put right host or port, I cannot deconnect (strange because I'm not connected)
- I don't think that WindowsManager should be a singleton

but I managed to make it work and I think it's a great idea.

Laurent. 

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've improved the COnnection Window UI, so if you wanna retry now, I hope it should work ^^


Thanks in advance,

Ben

On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:44 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Cool initiative.
>
> I gave it a try, but could not get it to work. What I did was to start it on port 8000, and then try to connect to localhost / 8000 (in the dialog).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 22 Feb 2011, at 17:35, Benjamin wrote:
>
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I've done a very simple Pharo Messenger that you can test here:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>        squeaksource: 'PharoInstantMessenge';
>>        package: 'PIM';
>>        load
>>
>> For launching the server:
>>      ChatServerLauncher launch: aPortNumber.
>>
>> For launching the client:
>>      WindowsManager default openInWorld.
>>
>>
>> I will see if I can found a server to put the image :)
>>
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedbacks,
>>
>> Ben
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "What is more important: To be happy, or to make happy?"
>
>



Loading...