Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS)

Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS)

Richard Sargent
Administrator
GemTalk is pleased to announce the availability of Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS). This provides a starter GBS license that allows personal and commercial use of GBS, including production, with a Community-licensed GemStone server.
https://gemtalksystems.com/announcements/2018/08/community-license-for-gbs/

GBS provides various browsers to facilitate development of your GemStone/S server application code. But, it also supports replication of objects between the server and client memory spaces. This allows for exceptionally rich applications that take advantage the full capabilities of both tiers.

Re: Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS)

gcotelli
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the update.

Now that we have 64 bits versions of VA Smalltalk for Linux and Windows, is there some plans to provide a 64 bits aware GBS/VA Smalltalk version that is on par with the VW version?

Regards,
Gabriel

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 5:27:03 AM UTC-7, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the update.

Now that we have 64 bits versions of VA Smalltalk for Linux and Windows, is there some plans to provide a 64 bits aware GBS/VA Smalltalk version that is on par with the VW version?

We have no short-term plans for a 64-bit implementation of GBS for VA Smalltalk. Such plans will be driven by customer need.

Regards,
Gabriel

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 at 2:23:51 PM UTC-3, Richard Sargent wrote:
GemTalk is pleased to announce the availability of Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS). This provides a starter GBS license that allows personal and commercial use of GBS, including production, with a Community-licensed GemStone server.

GBS provides various browsers to facilitate development of your GemStone/S server application code. But, it also supports replication of objects between the server and client memory spaces. This allows for exceptionally rich applications that take advantage the full capabilities of both tiers.

Re: Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS)

Mariano Martinez Peck-2

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 3:31 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 5:27:03 AM UTC-7, Gabriel Cotelli wrote:
Hi Richard,
Thanks for the update.

Now that we have 64 bits versions of VA Smalltalk for Linux and Windows, is there some plans to provide a 64 bits aware GBS/VA Smalltalk version that is on par with the VW version?

We have no short-term plans for a 64-bit implementation of GBS for VA Smalltalk. Such plans will be driven by customer need.

Hi Richard,

I do understand the "driven by customer needs" and it makes sense to me.

I just wonder if you have customer needs to at least support 32 bits version of newer VA versions such as 9.0 and 9.1? (yes, the ones with new VM).
As far as I can read on https://gemtalksystems.com/products/gbs-va/  the latest supported version is 8.6.3.  Maybe that's less effort than supporting 64 bits?

I haven't use GBS before but I did use GemConnect for C as well as plain GemStone for several years. If there is something we can help from Instantiations side for this to happen, just let us know. We would like to have GBS working with latest release and even more with 64 bits!

Best,

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Re: Community licensing for GemBuilder for Smalltalk (GBS)

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Hi Mariano,

I provided a copy of our GBS test suite to Seth when we were debugging some problems with 9.0. If he has incorporated that into your test suites, then GBS has been tested against 32-bit 9.x. Even if he hadn't, I have confidence it will work, but we haven't certified it yet from our perspective. We don't have an automated test runner for the matrix of VA releases supported versus the GemStone server versions supported, so testing and certifying versions is an appreciable effort that we've been avoiding until our customers start asking for 9.x support.

The 64-bit version will require a substantial rewrite, just as we did when we supported 64-bit VW. The 5.x code base is not the place to start for that effort.

I've copied Martin on this, too.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

I provided a copy of our GBS test suite to Seth when we were debugging some problems with 9.0. If he has incorporated that into your test suites, then GBS has been tested against 32-bit 9.x. Even if he hadn't, I have confidence it will work, but we haven't certified it yet from our perspective. We don't have an automated test runner for the matrix of VA releases supported versus the GemStone server versions supported, so testing and certifying versions is an appreciable effort that we've been avoiding until our customers start asking for 9.x support.

The 64-bit version will require a substantial rewrite, just as we did when we supported 64-bit VW. The 5.x code base is not the place to start for that effort.

I've copied Martin on this, too.

Greetings Richard,

Thanks for your response and the update. Much clearer now. Please allow me one more question. Let's say I have VA 9.x 32 bits with a GBS 5.4.4 for VA 32 bits. As far as I can read here [1] I should be able to use up to 3.4.x, which means a GemStone 64 bits. As said, I never used GBS, but I guess for that to happen in our scenario it must be via RPC because linked sessions wouldn't work. Is this correct?

If that's true, then I guess I can give it a try to:

a) GemStone 3.4.2 (latest)
b) GBS 5.4.4 (configuring RPC sessions)
c) VA 9.1 (latest)

And run your GBS test suite.

Does that sound good?

Thanks!

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018, 06:06 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email] wrote:

[...]

That is correct. Linked sessions are run on the same server as the gem (not necessarily the same as the stone). We only support GBS for VA Smalltalk under Windows and the 64-bit server line doesn't run under Windows. So, RPC it must be.

If that's true, then I guess I can give it a try to:

a) GemStone 3.4.2 (latest)
b) GBS 5.4.4 (configuring RPC sessions)
c) VA 9.1 (latest)

And run your GBS test suite.