Compactor not working > News?

philippeback

I have been trying the latest Pharo VM since there was compaction support brought in.

But it doesn't seem to work as advertised.

Any status update on this?

Phil

Re: Compactor not working > News?

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Phil,

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 7:43 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been trying the latest Pharo VM since there was compaction support brought in.

There has always been compaction support.  The original version wasn't very good, both slow and unable to fully compact (unless the heap is very regular).

> But it doesn't seem to work as advertised.

That's extremely vague.  Can you be more specific?

> Any status update on this?

I have made the new compactor the default after getting a test suite to pass at  Cadence.  I've been using the new compactor without issue since getting the suite to pass.  Levente has reported some crashes in saving Monticello packages.  I have not seen anything like this.

> Phil

Re: Compactor not working > News?

EstebanLM

in my case is working as expected (it compacts :P)

Esteban

> On 2 Mar 2017, at 09:36, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Phil,
>
>> On Feb 22, 2017, at 7:43 AM, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have been trying the latest Pharo VM since there was compaction support brought in.
>
> There has always been compaction support.  The original version wasn't very good, both slow and unable to fully compact (unless the heap is very regular).
>
>> But it doesn't seem to work as advertised.
>
> That's extremely vague.  Can you be more specific?
>
>> Any status update on this?
>
> I have made the new compactor the default after getting a test suite to pass at  Cadence.  I've been using the new compactor without issue since getting the suite to pass.  Levente has reported some crashes in saving Monticello packages.  I have not seen anything like this.
>

>> Phil

Re: Compactor not working > News?

philippeback

Ok, I'll pick the latest windows VM and see what it gives.

Phil