Comparison by example

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

I'm opening a new thread with idea by Johan and Hannes to write an
example app on all three web frameworks. Here is a copy of that thread
and first Hannes proposal:

Johan: For comparing, it would be really good to have the same
application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the
experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love
to help out on that one.

Janko: Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an
idea, what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for
sure declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.

Hannes proposal:
---------------
Maybe a sample application which is combination of both your suggestions
:-).

A kind of more elaborate ToDo list (cf. the Seaside example in the tutorial)

Features:

- Multi-user
- The users see a list of ToDo items and sees to whom they are assigned.
- In a chat area they can discuss about the items and reassign them
  accordingly.
- Some views/reports (current tasks, my tasks, finished tasks, task in
  a particular month).

If you want more

- A wiki in addition
- A glossary (special terms in the reports are automatically
  hyper-linked to a glossary entry)

Best regards
Hannes

P.S. I am sure that other people have better ideas.
I have no idea how much time this takes to implement in Aida/Web. In
Seaside it is quite an effort.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Seaside] Comparison by example

Janko Mivšek
Hannes,

What I'd like to ask you is to continue detailing your proposal, so that
we will have just exact enough blueprint for this example app. Not too
much, not too few, just enough :)

Best regards
Janko

S, Janko Mivšek piše:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm opening a new thread with idea by Johan and Hannes to write an
> example app on all three web frameworks. Here is a copy of that thread
> and first Hannes proposal:
>
> Johan: For comparing, it would be really good to have the same
> application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the
> experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love
> to help out on that one.
>
> Janko: Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an
> idea, what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for
> sure declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
> multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
> basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
> cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.
>
> Hannes proposal:
> ---------------
> Maybe a sample application which is combination of both your suggestions
> :-).
>
> A kind of more elaborate ToDo list (cf. the Seaside example in the tutorial)
>
> Features:
>
> - Multi-user
> - The users see a list of ToDo items and sees to whom they are assigned.
> - In a chat area they can discuss about the items and reassign them
>   accordingly.
> - Some views/reports (current tasks, my tasks, finished tasks, task in
>   a particular month).
>
> If you want more
>
> - A wiki in addition
> - A glossary (special terms in the reports are automatically
>   hyper-linked to a glossary entry)
>
> Best regards
> Hannes
>
> P.S. I am sure that other people have better ideas.
> I have no idea how much time this takes to implement in Aida/Web. In
> Seaside it is quite an effort.

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Seaside] Comparison by example

garduino
2011/6/23 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm opening a new thread with idea by Johan and Hannes to write an
> example app on all three web frameworks. Here is a copy of that thread
> and first Hannes proposal:
>
> Johan: For comparing, it would be really good to have the same
> application written in the three frameworks by experts and have the
> experts compare them. Hey, if I find the time (oeps) I would even love
> to help out on that one.
>
> Janko: Agreed! And I'm hardly waiting for someone to come out with an
> idea, what to build for such comparison. I have one, but you will for
> sure declare me biased again .. :) A so called real-time web example: a
> multi-user chat. As that one on GMail, for instance. Another would be a
> basic CRUD example, which is so common pattern, filling that 90% of
> cases, to show, how the frameworks cover the people's most basic needs.

Seems that I arrived some minutes later to this new thread, but in any case
I'm copying here the same things I wrote in the other thread:

Build a real world application to compare it's also a good idea.

I my own experience, with my own customers, the far more asked
solution is allways related with different sort of ERP's.

A good step in this way in my opinion is the work of the guys of
SmallPOS (http://www.squeaksource.com/SmallPOS/)

Things as invoices, stock, current accounts, billing, bank, finances,
production chain, etc, with plenty of relationship between
data (aka objects) and lot of different sort of forms (as
master-detail, grids, paging, search over the grids, filtering, etc).

The capability of supply to the final user the facility of build it's
own reports is also a thing I miss from the old Visual FoxPro
frameworks I used to work with in the past. One of the best I knew is
this one: http://www.promatrix.com/index.php were the
developer can find not only a framework else a good number to
"generators" (Automatic building of common things in a standardized
way). This is (was?) the main goal of a tool that I started with a
friend of me several years ago that I so called SDA (Smalltalk
Developer Assistant). As usual, the need of pay the bills go against
of the free time to invest in these sort of projects.

Just my 2 cents.
Germán.