Compatability and Version

KenDickey
Greetings,

While we are discussing package dependencies, I thought to bring up an old concept: Compatibility Numbers.

The basic idea is that one updates a version number with each release, but one only increments a compatibility number when there is an INcompatible change to an API.

Software can know the past (and deal with it) but not the future. Checking  compatibility of required package dependencies is a quick and cheap sanity check.  If the compatibility number of a package is higher than some software knows about, then it can pop up a warning or take some other action.

While I don't really want to introduce version numbers for packages, I do like compatibility numbers.

Does this sound like overkill or a useful convention?

$0.02,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Compatability and Version

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Ken,

It looks useful to me. So, each package should have a version number,
having the convention that major version allows incompatibilities, while
minor version changes must be back compatible. I addition, each package
should specify which packages it depends on, and which major version
numbers of them are supported.

Is all this what you mean?

I think it would be good. It would require some dev. effort. I'm a bit
short of time lately... :(

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich