Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, a folder

   Packages_compatibility

as a sibling to

   Packages

would be fine. There might be several compatibility packages.

On 5/14/15, David Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could we remove SqueakCompatability from the Core-Packages.pck.st?  That way
> we can ensure that our core packages follow the Cuis philosophy.
>

>> On May 14, 2015, at 9:07 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/14/2015 5:52 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>>> Thank you for the clarification, Juan.
>>>
>>> I am aiming at semi-automated porting, i.e. to come up with a recipe
>>> of activities to do the port https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-NeoCSV.
>>>
>>> I want to redo it, as Sven has posted a new version last week end.
>>>
>>> Replacing
>>>
>>>      isCharacter
>>>
>>> with
>>>
>>>     is: Character
>>>
>>> is fine.
>>
>> But in Cuis it would be '$a class == Character' or '$a isKindOf:
>> Character'. A reasonable alternative is to simply add #isCharacter to
>> SqueakCompatibility.pck.st.
>>
>>> Then I'd like to apply the same recipe to his NeoJSON package.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Hannes
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Juan Vuletich-4
Yes, I like this idea.

What do others think?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 5/14/2015 2:45 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Yes, a folder
>
>     Packages_compatibility
>
> as a sibling to
>
>     Packages
>
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
>
> would be fine. There might be several compatibility packages.
>
> On 5/14/15, David Graham<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Could we remove SqueakCompatability from the Core-Packages.pck.st?  That way
>> we can ensure that our core packages follow the Cuis philosophy.

>>> But in Cuis it would be '$a class == Character' or '$a isKindOf:
>>> Character'. A reasonable alternative is to simply add #isCharacter to
>>> SqueakCompatibility.pck.st.

>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Phil B
Sounds good to me.

dsg

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

dsg
Sounds fine to me, but I'm wondering if it would be a good time to
create a separate github repo for non-core packages?  It would be nice
to have a central place for packages which are not ready or don't belong
in core.

On Sat, 2015-05-16 at 10:50 -0500, David Graham wrote:
> Sounds fine to me, but I'm wondering if it would be a good time to
> create a separate github repo for non-core packages?  It would be nice
> to have a central place for packages which are not ready or don't belong
> in core.

We already have an index of non-core packages.  Centralizing into one
repo would defeat the whole point of git.

dsg

On 5/16/2015 1:19 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-05-16 at 10:50 -0500, David Graham wrote:
>> Sounds fine to me, but I'm wondering if it would be a good time to
>> create a separate github repo for non-core packages?  It would be nice
>> to have a central place for packages which are not ready or don't belong
>> in core.
>>
> We already have an index of non-core packages.  Centralizing into one
> repo would defeat the whole point of git.

Sorry, for clarification I wasn't trying to suggest that we put every
package made for Cuis into a single repo, just the commonly used ones.
Maybe just move what is now Packages into separate repo ?  In all
honesty, I don't have a strong opinion here, just brainstorming ways to
help grow the community and potentially lighten Juan's workload.

What I'd really like is to make all the legacy stuff like OSs, files,
and git go away. :)

On 5/16/2015 4:48 PM, David Graham wrote:

> On 5/16/2015 1:19 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
>> On Sat, 2015-05-16 at 10:50 -0500, David Graham wrote:
>>> Sounds fine to me, but I'm wondering if it would be a good time to
>>> create a separate github repo for non-core packages?  It would be nice
>>> to have a central place for packages which are not ready or don't
>>> belong
>>> in core.
>>>
>> We already have an index of non-core packages.  Centralizing into one
>> repo would defeat the whole point of git.
>
> Sorry, for clarification I wasn't trying to suggest that we put every
> package made for Cuis into a single repo, just the commonly used
> ones.  Maybe just move what is now Packages into separate repo ?  In
> all honesty, I don't have a strong opinion here, just brainstorming
> ways to help grow the community and potentially lighten Juan's workload.
>
> What I'd really like is to make all the legacy stuff like OSs, files,
> and git go away. :)

:)

BTW, I just did a commit, with a new folder CompatibilityPackages.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Hannes Hirzel
Juan,

the new CompatibilityPackages has

- SqueakCompatibility

- VMMaker
- Balloon

in it. For SqueakCompatibility it is obvious that they are there. But
what about the other comparatively large packages. A README.md file
would clarify the situation why they are there.

--Hannes

On 5/17/2015 8:10 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Juan,
>
> the new CompatibilityPackages has
>
> - SqueakCompatibility
>
> - VMMaker
> - Balloon
>
> in it. For SqueakCompatibility it is obvious that they are there. But
> what about the other comparatively large packages. A README.md file
> would clarify the situation why they are there.

Yes, we'd write some. At least, right now, let me say that that folder
is for SqueakCompatibility.pck.st, and any other packages that depend on
it. VMMaker, for instance, is a verbatim copy of current VMMaker for
Squeak, without a single line of code changed. But this is open for
discussion.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> --Hannes
>
> On 5/16/15, Juan Vuletich<[hidden email]>  wrote:

>>> Sorry, for clarification I wasn't trying to suggest that we put every
>>> package made for Cuis into a single repo, just the commonly used
>>> ones.  Maybe just move what is now Packages into separate repo ?  In
>>> all honesty, I don't have a strong opinion here, just brainstorming
>>> ways to help grow the community and potentially lighten Juan's workload.
>>>
>>> What I'd really like is to make all the legacy stuff like OSs, files,
>>> and git go away. :)
>> :)
>>
>> BTW, I just did a commit, with a new folder CompatibilityPackages.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Hannes Hirzel
Juan

I created an issue for this

https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/issues/57

which contains your note

--Hannes

On 5/19/15, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> On 5/17/2015 8:10 AM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Juan,
>>
>> the new CompatibilityPackages has
>>
>> - SqueakCompatibility
>>
>> - VMMaker
>> - Balloon
>>
>> in it. For SqueakCompatibility it is obvious that they are there. But
>> what about the other comparatively large packages. A README.md file
>> would clarify the situation why they are there.
>
> Yes, we'd write some. At least, right now, let me say that that folder
> is for SqueakCompatibility.pck.st, and any other packages that depend on
> it. VMMaker, for instance, is a verbatim copy of current VMMaker for
> Squeak, without a single line of code changed. But this is open for
> discussion.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>

>> --Hannes

>>> :)
>>>
>>> BTW, I just did a commit, with a new folder CompatibilityPackages.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compatibility packages folder? (was Re: isXXX methods? (was Re: 4 additions to core?))

Casey Ransberger-2
I really like that our squeak compat pack is solid enough to load VMMaker. I think the current arrangement makes good sense.

Git does have the overhead of "downloading the world" on an initial checkout, but keeping everything versioned together seems the best plan to me, at least right now.

--C