Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Marten Feldtmann-5
Hey,

I currently work with 9.00 and an local repository.
From time to time I export my stuff to my normal 8.6 based emsrv repository.

And from time to time I import from that 8.6 emsrv repository to a 6.01 local repository and I found (sometimes), that methods
from 9.00 contains a character (in the methodName or the first character of that method source) with numerical value 2.

So these method can not be compiled and the stuff can not be loaded.

Marten

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Wayne Johnston
Could it be the same thing discussed before - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Z9YPFD7OWvE

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Marten Feldtmann-5
Yes, thats it ... hmm, then I have to transfer my stuff somehow different to this old OS/2 repository ...

Marten

Am Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2017 12:51:45 UTC+2 schrieb Wayne Johnston:
Could it be the same thing discussed before - <a href="https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Z9YPFD7OWvE" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Z9YPFD7OWvE&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Z9YPFD7OWvE&#39;;return true;">https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/va-smalltalk/Z9YPFD7OWvE

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Marten Feldtmann-5
This means, that this also happens with vastgoodies ... not a nice idea ...

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Marten Feldtmann-5
To summarize: over the time the users of older VA version will not be able to retrieve newer versions from vastgoodies, right ???? The only help for Windows users is to exchange some distributed files !?

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Marten Feldtmann-5
The only way to transfer files in these cases is to export to ASCII and then file-in ?

Re: Compatibility with older mgr.dat files ... character with numerical value 2

Seth Berman
Hi Marten,

I don’t follow..but I might be misunderstanding some subtle issue.  Assuming old versions of VAST have had the newer library primitive dlls (>=8.6.2) copied to their ‘bin’ dir...then they should be able to read the newer source, as well.  What specific use case are you referring to?