CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

fniephaus
Hi all,

I'm not sure this is already known, but
CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral reproducibly
crashes the VM on macOS. I tried it with an older VM from last year
and the latest bleeding edge (202012050134).

Best,
Fabio

Re: CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabio,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not sure this is already known, but
CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral reproducibly
crashes the VM on macOS. I tried it with an older VM from last year
and the latest bleeding edge (202012050134).

I just tried it on macOS in a bleeding edge VM and see a failing test (Error: subscript out of bounds: 38 from testValuePaneModify) but no crash.  When you run under a debugger what stack trace do you see?

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Fabio,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 3:09 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 3:08 PM Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Fabio,

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM Fabio Niephaus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm not sure this is already known, but
CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral reproducibly
crashes the VM on macOS. I tried it with an older VM from last year
and the latest bleeding edge (202012050134).

I just tried it on macOS in a bleeding edge VM and see a failing test (Error: subscript out of bounds: 38 from testValuePaneModify) but no crash.  When you run under a debugger what stack trace do you see?

Ah, I'm using the SistaV1 bytecode set.  Are you using ClosuresV3?

And the test should be rewritten to do e.g. self object initialPC + N so it works with both 64-bit and 32-bit images.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

Christoph Thiede

Hi Fabio, thanks for the hint!

I can reproduce this neither on Win 2004/OSVM 202010232046 nor Ubuntu 18/OSVM 202008211759, each with the latest trunk update. Could you maybe share the entire stack trace/SqueakDebug.log with us? :)

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: CompiledCodeInspectorTest>>testValuePaneModifyLiteral crashes the VM

Christoph Thiede

Nevermind, I should have read all the new unread 198 mails in my squeak-dev inbox folder before answering any of them ... Thanks for fixing, Eliot! :-)

Best,

Christoph