Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Esteban A. Maringolo
I'm sure we could do this with ease, because we already can see the bytecodes.

https://godbolt.org/

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

Pharo consortium engineer
Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

Re: Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Tudor Girba-2

This is already available since some time in the GTInspector. You can just inspect a compiled method. You will get both the bytecode and the AST (with source tracking, too). In fact, this was one of the original reasons why GTInspector exists: I wanted to figure out how the AST is structured so that I can write queries against it :).

Cheers,
Doru

On Oct 17, 2017, at 10:03 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm sure we could do this with ease, because we already can see the bytecodes.

https://godbolt.org/

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

compiled-method-bytecode.png (132K) Download Attachment
compiled-method-bytecode.png (132K) Download Attachment

Re: Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

This is already available since some time in the GTInspector. You can just inspect a compiled method. You will get both the bytecode and the AST (with source tracking, too). In fact, this was one of the original reasons why GTInspector exists: I wanted to figure out how the AST is structured so that I can write queries against it :).

Sure, we just miss machine code :)
But...AFAIR to get the machine code of a method it needs VMMaker to be loaded....

Cheers,
Doru

On Oct 17, 2017, at 10:03 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm sure we could do this with ease, because we already can see the bytecodes.

https://godbolt.org/

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Esteban A. Maringolo
Dolphin's debugger was what came to my mind, it had the "dissasembly" way of debugging VM bytecode.
It doesn't provide was native code ASM, and as I understand GTInspector neither.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

dissasembly.png (130K) Download Attachment

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

This is already available since some time in the GTInspector. You can just inspect a compiled method. You will get both the bytecode and the AST (with source tracking, too). In fact, this was one of the original reasons why GTInspector exists: I wanted to figure out how the AST is structured so that I can write queries against it :).

Sure, we just miss machine code :)

Yeah the machine code is what matters.

But...AFAIR to get the machine code of a method it needs VMMaker to be loaded....

I was thinking of changing that, adding a primitive which answers a CogMethod as a bytearray, but you still need to use external libs such as gdb/lldb to disassemble your binary (which is possible but not working out of the box everywhere and it does not make sense to include that as part of the VM), and you still need something extracted from VMMaker to make sense out of the CogMethod header and CogMethod map, which has a lot of dependencies, so likely the whole VMMaker itself. And I'm not talking about all the different CogMethod flavors.

With VMMaker loaded you can do it with in-image compilation but you will have the machine code with only unlinked sends. With linked send it's more difficult as you need to really simulate the whole runtime.

Overall there's no amazing solution. In the example shown it's easier as in C++ the code is not modified while it runs and you've already have gdb/lldb APIs to show what they show.

Pharo consortium engineer
Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

Re: Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Jan Vrany
Hi,

> I was thinking of changing that, adding a primitive which answers a
> CogMethod as a bytearray, but you still need to use external libs
> such as gdb/lldb to disassemble your binary

I use udis86 [1] for that purpose. Tiny, clean & dead easy to use.
x86 only, though.

HTH. Jan

[1]: http://udis86.sourceforge.net/

> (which is possible but not working out of the box everywhere and it
> does not make sense to include that as part of the VM), and you still
> need something extracted from VMMaker to make sense out of the
> CogMethod header and CogMethod map, which has a lot of dependencies,
> so likely the whole VMMaker itself. And I'm not talking about all the
> different CogMethod flavors.
>
> With VMMaker loaded you can do it with in-image compilation but you
> will have the machine code with only unlinked sends. With linked send
> it's more difficult as you need to really simulate the whole runtime.
>
> Overall there's no amazing solution. In the example shown it's easier
> as in C++ the code is not modified while it runs and you've already
> have gdb/lldb APIs to show what they show.
>

> > > Cheers,
> > > Doru

> > > --
> > > www.tudorgirba.com
> > > www.feenk.com
> > >
> > > "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."
> > >

> > --
> > Mariano
> > http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
> >

> --
> Clément Béra
> Pharo consortium engineer
> https://clementbera.wordpress.com/
> Bâtiment B 40, avenue Halley 59650 Villeneuve d'Ascq

Re: Compiler Explorer (for the Compiler guys) #offtopic

Clément Béra

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Jan Vrany <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

> I was thinking of changing that, adding a primitive which answers a
> CogMethod as a bytearray, but you still need to use external libs
> such as gdb/lldb to disassemble your binary

I use udis86 [1] for that purpose. Tiny, clean & dead easy to use.
x86 only, though.

HTH. Jan

[1]: http://udis86.sourceforge.net/

Tiny that's good.

I normally use the facilities provided by the processor simulators (but that's not tiny).

Not sure the production environment should have those features anyway