Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Bart Gauquie
Dear list,

while testing between Pharo and Gemstone I've noticed that Pharo allows following code, while Gemstone does not.

renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector.
    ^canvas textInput
        id: (self idForSelector: aSelector);
        value: (self inputValueForSelector: aSelector);
        script: (canvas jQuery new datepicker);
        yourself

The error is that in the message definition: renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector. there is a dot on the end.

This seems like an error in the Pharo compiler ? or not?

Kind Regards,

Bart

Re: Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Damien Pollet
2010/9/13 Bart Gauquie <[hidden email]>:
> The error is that in the message definition:
> renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector. there is a dot on the
> end.
>
> This seems like an error in the Pharo compiler ? or not?

Actually Johan Brichau just mentioned this during his talk this
morning. Gemstone's compiler is stricter than Pharo's.

It's not really a bug that the parser in Pharo is more persmissive,
but it's an inconvenience indeed.

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Yes but what is wrong on gemstone.

Stef

> Dear list,
>
> while testing between Pharo and Gemstone I've noticed that Pharo allows following code, while Gemstone does not.
>
> renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector.
>     ^canvas textInput
>         id: (self idForSelector: aSelector);
>         value: (self inputValueForSelector: aSelector);
>         script: (canvas jQuery new datepicker);
>         yourself
>
> The error is that in the message definition: renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector. there is a dot on the end.
>
> This seems like an error in the Pharo compiler ? or not?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Bart

Re: Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Johan Brichau-2
What's the dot doing after 'aSelector' ? :-)

it's an empty statement -> gs parser does not allow that

btw, I think this is a rule in code critic, so if you launch that, you will get all these problems before trying to load them into GS

On 13 Sep 2010, at 13:55, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Yes but what is wrong on gemstone.
>
> Stef
>

>> Dear list,
>>
>> while testing between Pharo and Gemstone I've noticed that Pharo allows following code, while Gemstone does not.
>>
>> renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector.
>>    ^canvas textInput
>>        id: (self idForSelector: aSelector);
>>        value: (self inputValueForSelector: aSelector);
>>        script: (canvas jQuery new datepicker);
>>        yourself
>>
>> The error is that in the message definition: renderSelectorAndReturnBrushForSelector: aSelector. there is a dot on the end.
>>
>> This seems like an error in the Pharo compiler ? or not?
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Bart

Re: Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

Lukas Renggli
> it's an empty statement -> gs parser does not allow that
>
> btw, I think this is a rule in code critic, so if you launch that, you will get all these problems before trying to load them into GS

Yes, Slime detects these kind of syntactic problems that impact portability.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Compiler throws error in Gemstone, not in Pharo

ah yes

an empty statement.
Ugly we cleaned a lot of
        ..
in the past I hope that Opal will fix that