Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

12

Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

I'd like to compile

    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/blob/master/nodejs/hello/Hello.st

I do

    amberc Hello.st

and I get

    [Error: File not found: /usr/support/boot.js]

How do I call amberc?

      amberc --help

gives a wealth of information and according to the info there I do not
see why it should not work.

Regards
Hannes

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Nicolas Petton
Hi!

Can you try after updating amber-cli?

npm uninstall -g amber
npm install -g amber-cli

Cheers,
Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you for the answer, Nico. It now compiles.

After

    npm uninstall -g amber
    npm install -g amber-cli

    amberc Hello.st

compiles fine to Hello.js

Now a next question: How do I execute Hello.js or how to I compile Hello.st that

   node Hello.js

executes fine? See error message below, 'define' not defined.

Regards
Hannes

node Hello.js

/home/hhzl/Documents/chronoA/B-Amber-Doc/Hello.js:1
(function (exports, require, module, __filename, __dirname) { define("amber_co
                                                              ^
ReferenceError: define is not defined
    at Object.<anonymous>
(/home/hhzl/Documents/chronoA/B-Amber-Doc/Hello.js:1:63)
    at Module._compile (module.js:456:26)
    at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:474:10)
    at Module.load (module.js:356:32)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:312:12)
    at Function.Module.runMain (module.js:497:10)
    at startup (node.js:119:16)
    at node.js:901:3

On 4/22/14, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Can you try after updating amber-cli?
>
> npm uninstall -g amber
> npm install -g amber-cli
>
> Cheers,
> Nico
>
> H. Hirzel writes:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'd like to compile
>>

>> https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber-examples/blob/master/nodejs/hello/Hello.st
>>
>> I do
>>
>>     amberc Hello.st
>>
>> and I get
>>
>>     [Error: File not found: /usr/support/boot.js]
>>
>> How do I call amberc?
>>
>>       amberc --help
>>
>> gives a wealth of information and according to the info there I do not
>> see why it should not work.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes
>

> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Answer from

    amberc --help

Compile with

    amberc -m Hello Hello.st myProg

Then execute

   node myProg.js

It works fine.

--Hannes

H. Hirzel writes:

> Answer from
>
>     amberc --help
>
> Compile with
>
>     amberc -m Hello Hello.st myProg
>
> Then execute
>
>    node myProg.js
>
> It works fine.

cool :)

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Hello again,

A variant of a Hello World program:

      write the hello message to a file.

File: WriteHello.st
Object subclass: #WriteHello
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        package: 'WriteHello'!

!WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'!

main
| fs |

console log: '...check file message.txt'.

fs := require value: 'fs'.

fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
   errFn: nil.

! !

Compile with

    amberc -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg

Execute with

    node myProg.js

Works fine. Writes a file message.txt

However instead of nil an error function should be given

Something like

fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
   errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].

I get

a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]

see http://www.nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfilesync_filename_options

How should the block look like?

Regards

Hannes

On 4/22/14, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel writes:
>
>> Answer from
>>
>>     amberc --help
>>
>> Compile with
>>
>>     amberc -m Hello Hello.st myProg
>>
>> Then execute
>>
>>    node myProg.js
>>
>> It works fine.
>
> cool :)
>
> Nico
> --
> Nicolas Petton
> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Nicolas Petton
This was fixed in master. Could you give it a try?

Nico

H. Hirzel writes:

> Hello again,
>
> A variant of a Hello World program:
>
>       write the hello message to a file.

> File: WriteHello.st
> Object subclass: #WriteHello
>         instanceVariableNames: ''
>         package: 'WriteHello'!
>
> !WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'!
>
> main
> | fs |
>
> console log: '...check file message.txt'.
>
> fs := require value: 'fs'.
>
> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>    errFn: nil.
>
> ! !
>
> Compile with
>
>     amberc -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg
>
> Execute with
>
>     node myProg.js
>

> Works fine. Writes a file message.txt
>

> However instead of nil an error function should be given
>
> Something like
>
> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>    errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>
> I get
>
> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>
> see http://www.nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfilesync_filename_options
>
> How should the block look like?
>
> Regards
>
> Hannes
>
> On 4/22/14, Nicolas Petton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> H. Hirzel writes:
>>
>>> Answer from
>>>
>>>     amberc --help
>>>
>>> Compile with
>>>
>>>     amberc -m Hello Hello.st myProg
>>>
>>> Then execute
>>>
>>>    node myProg.js
>>>
>>> It works fine.
>>
>> cool :)
>>
>> Nico
>> --
>> Nicolas Petton
>> http://nicolas-petton.fr
>>
>> --

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Herby Vojčík
global amberc uses amber from 0.12.4 tag. It is needed to use -d option to point it to different amber location to use the current version (like, -d ..\bower_components\amber or so).

Nicolas Petton wrote:

> This was fixed in master. Could you give it a try?
>
> Nico
>
> H. Hirzel writes:
>
>> Hello again,
>>
>> A variant of a Hello World program:
>>
>>        write the hello message to a file.

>> File: WriteHello.st
>> Object subclass: #WriteHello
>>          instanceVariableNames: ''
>>          package: 'WriteHello'!
>>
>> !WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'!
>>
>> main
>> | fs |
>>
>> console log: '...check file message.txt'.
>>
>> fs := require value: 'fs'.
>>
>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>     errFn: nil.
>>
>> ! !
>>
>> Co
mpile with

>>      amberc -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg
>>
>> Execute with
>>
>>      node myProg.js
>>

>> Works fine. Writes a file message.txt
>>

>> However instead of nil an error function should be given
>>
>> Something like
>>
>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>     errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>>
>> I get
>>
>> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>>
>> see http://www.nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfilesync_filename_options
>>
>> How should the block look like?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Hannes

>>> cool :)
>>>
>>> Nico
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Petton
>>> http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you but I need more clarification.

How do the steps look like?

1. Download/clone latestest amber
2. amberc call with -d option?

--Hannes

On 4/22/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> global amberc uses amber from 0.12.4 tag. It is needed to use -d option to
> point it to different amber location to use the current version (like, -d
> ..\bower_components\amber or so).
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> This was fixed in master. Could you give it a try?
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> H. Hirzel writes:
>>
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> A variant of a Hello World program:
>>>
>>>        write the hello message to a file.
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> File: WriteHello.st
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Object subclass: #WriteHello
>>>          instanceVariableNames: ''
>>>          package: 'WriteHello'!
>>>
>>> !WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'!
>>>
>>> main
>>> | fs |
>>>
>>> console log: '...check file message.txt'.
>>>
>>> fs := require value: 'fs'.
>>>
>>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>>     errFn: nil.
>>>
>>> ! !
>>>
>>> Co
> mpile with
>>>
>>>      amberc -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg
>>>
>>> Execute with
>>>
>>>      node myProg.js
>>>

>>> Works fine. Writes a file message.txt
>>>

>>> However instead of nil an error function should be given
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>>     errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>>>
>>> I get
>>>
>>> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>>>
>>> see
>>> http://www.nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfilesync_filename_options
>>>
>>> How should the block look like?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Hannes

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Herby Vojčík

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Thank you but I need more clarification.

How do the steps look like?

1. Download/clone latestest amber
2. amberc call with -d option?

The 2. is always there, of course. As for 1. you can do it as you wish - either point to some location (preferably external) where you keep latest ambet, or just use latest instead of tagged in project itself: do `bower uninstall amber --save` to remove stable amber, and then `bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master` to get the master (it changes your bower.json from "I am using latest stable amber in 0.12 line" to "I am using master branch from git directly").

--Hannes

On 4/22/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> global amberc uses amber from 0.12.4 tag. It is needed to use -d option to
> point it to different amber location to use the current version (like, -d
> ..\bower_components\amber or so).
>
> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> This was fixed in master. Could you give it a try?
>>
>> Nico
>>
>> H. Hirzel writes:
>>
>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> A variant of a Hello World program:
>>>
>>>        write the hello message to a file.
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> File: WriteHello.st
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Object subclass: #WriteHello
>>>          instanceVariableNames: ''
>>>          package: 'WriteHello'!
>>>
>>> !WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'!
>>>
>>> main
>>> | fs |
>>>
>>> console log: '...check file message.txt'.
>>>
>>> fs := require value: 'fs'.
>>>
>>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>>     errFn: nil.
>>>
>>> ! !
>>>
>>> Co
> mpile with
>>>
>>>      amberc -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg
>>>
>>> Execute with
>>>
>>>      node myProg.js
>>>

>>> Works fine. Writes a file message.txt
>>>

>>> However instead of nil an error function should be given
>>>
>>> Something like
>>>
>>> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>>>     errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>>>
>>> I get
>>>
>>> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>>>
>>> see
>>> http://www.nodejs.org/api/fs.html#fs_fs_readfilesync_filename_options
>>>
>>> How should the block look like?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Hannes

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
I loaded a recent client side amber with

    bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master --save

Then I use the -d option to get the client side Amber class library

    amberc  -d ./bower_components/amber/src -v -m WriteHello
WriteHello.st myProg

or without the src subdirectory

    amberc  -d ./bower_components/amber -v -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg

and

     ./bower_components/amber/bin/amberc  -d
./bower_components/amber/src -v -m WriteHello WriteHello.st myProg

In all cases I get the log I copy in below. It seems that the -d
option does not work..
Interesting to note that the files like smalltalk.js get loaded twice.

--Hannes

LOG

Resolving: WriteHello.st
Resolving: boot.js
Resolving: smalltalk.js
Resolving: globals.js
Resolving: nil.js
Resolving: _st.js
Resolving: Kernel-Objects.js
Resolving: Kernel-Classes.js
Resolving: Kernel-Methods.js
Resolving: Kernel-Collections.js
Resolving: Kernel-Infrastructure.js
Resolving: Kernel-Exceptions.js
Resolving: Kernel-Transcript.js
Resolving: Kernel-Announcements.js
Resolving: boot.js
Resolving: smalltalk.js
Resolving: globals.js
Resolving: nil.js
Resolving: _st.js
Resolving: Kernel-Objects.js
Resolving: Kernel-Classes.js
Resolving: Kernel-Methods.js
Resolving: Kernel-Collections.js
Resolving: Kernel-Infrastructure.js
Resolving: Kernel-Exceptions.js
Resolving: Kernel-Transcript.js
Resolving: Kernel-Announcements.js
Resolving: parser.js
Resolving: Kernel-ImportExport.js
Resolving: Compiler-Exceptions.js
Resolving: Compiler-Core.js
Resolving: Compiler-AST.js
Resolving: Compiler-Exceptions.js
Resolving: Compiler-IR.js
Resolving: Compiler-Inlining.js
Resolving: Compiler-Semantic.js
Compiler loaded
Reading: WriteHello.st
Compiling collected .st files
[Error: Compiler error in section:
WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'

while processing chunk:
main
| fs |

console log: '...check file message.txt'.

fs := require value: 'fs'.

fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
   errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].

a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]

On 4/22/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you but I need more clarification.
>
> How do the steps look like?
>
> 1. Download/clone latestest amber
> 2. amberc call with -d option?
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 4/22/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> global amberc uses amber from 0.12.4 tag. It is needed to use -d option
>> point it to different amber location to use the current version (like, -d
>> ..\bower_components\amber or so).
>>
>> Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>> This was fixed in master. Could you give it a try?
>>>
>>> Nico

>> mpile with

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Nicolas Petton
Thanks, I'll check that.

Nico

H. Hirzel writes:

> [...]
> [Error: Compiler error in section:
> WriteHello class methodsFor: 'main'
>
> while processing chunk:
> main
> | fs |
>
> console log: '...check file message.txt'.
>
> fs := require value: 'fs'.
>
> fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
>    errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>
> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>
> On 4/22/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thank you but I need more clarification.
>>
>> How do the steps look like?
>>
>> 1. Download/clone latestest amber
>> 2. amberc call with -d option?
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 4/22/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> global amberc uses amber from 0.12.4 tag. It is needed to use -d option
>>> point it to different amber location to use the current version (like, -d

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
H. Hirzel wrote
"theErr" should be ":theErr" ?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
H. Hirzel wrote
I loaded a recent client side amber with
    bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master --save
   errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].

a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
There are three problems:

1) a syntax error in your error block - "theErr" should be ":theErr"

2) a bug in the compiler that doesn't properly report the error - the easiest thing to do would be to patch the global amber-cli:
  cd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/amber-cli
  npm uninstall amber
  npm install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master
Now the error will be properly reported:
  Parse error on line 9 column 38 : Unexpected character ]]
instead of
  a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]

3) Using bower to install from master doesn't seem to do the right thing
  bower uninstall amber --save
Now if you:
  bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master --save
and then:
  vi bower_components/amber/src/Compiler-Exceptions.st
You'll see that the implementation of RethrowErrorHandler>>#handleError: is the out-dated (i.e. 0.12.4) version:
  handleError: anError
        super handleError: anError.
        self basicSignal: anError
But if you instead specify the last commit to #master:
  bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#ad803005739b17a6466df63382eaae29ceaf9695 --save
Then it will be the correct implementation (i.e. from #master):
  handleError: anError
        self basicSignal: anError

Given #3 above, maybe the problem is not that -d is not working, but that it points to a still out-of-date version of amber.

HTH
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

philippeback
Crystal clear :-)​

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Herby Vojčík

"Sean P. DeNigris" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

H. Hirzel wrote
[...]

This id strange thsy bower fails to install from master branch... another thing you can do is install from git without #mastet at the end, that shpuld be taking the head. Or there may be something with bower cache, which you can try to clean wittj bower cache clean.

Given #3 above, maybe the problem is not that -d is not working, but that it
points to a still out-of-date version of amber.

HTH

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Retesting ....

On 4/23/14, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> H. Hirzel wrote
>> I loaded a recent client side amber with
>>     bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master
>> --save
>>    errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"].
>>
>> a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]
>
> There are three problems:
>
> 1) a syntax error in your error block - "theErr" should be ":theErr"

When I change "theErr" to ":theErr" it compiles. But there still is a
run-time error. Even after having done point 2 below.

> 2) a bug in the compiler that doesn't properly report the error - the
> easiest thing to do would be to patch the global amber-cli:
>   cd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/amber-cli
>   npm uninstall amber
>   npm install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master

Worked fine. I had to use
   sudo npm install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master

on LInux Mint (based on Ubuntu 12.04)

> Now the error will be properly reported:
>   Parse error on line 9 column 38 : Unexpected character ]]
> instead of
>   a RethrowErrorHandler does not understand #handleError:]

Yes, a proper error message.

> 3) Using bower to install from master doesn't seem to do the right thing
>   bower uninstall amber --save
> Now if you:
>   bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#master --save
> and then:
>   vi bower_components/amber/src/Compiler-Exceptions.st
> You'll see that the implementation of RethrowErrorHandler>>#handleError: is
> the out-dated (i.e. 0.12.4) version:
>   handleError: anError
>         super handleError: anError.
>         self basicSignal: anError
> But if you instead specify the last commit to #master:
>   bower install
> git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#ad803005739b17a6466df63382eaae29ceaf9695
> --save
> Then it will be the correct implementation (i.e. from #master):
>   handleError: anError
>         self basicSignal: anError

I can confirm that
git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git#ad803005739b17a6466df63382eaae29ceaf9695
--save

installs a version with a different #handleError implementation.

> Given #3 above, maybe the problem is not that -d is not working, but that
> it
> points to a still out-of-date version of amber.
The -d option still does not seem to work.

And Herby's suggestion to go without #master

 bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git

does not bring the correct version.

--Hannes

> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Herby Vojčík

"H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:

Retesting ....

And Herby's suggestion to go without #master

 bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git

does not bring the correct version.

Did you uninstall it before?

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Redid a test

    mkdir test
    cd test
    bower cache clean
    bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git
    gedit  bower_components/amber/src/Compiler-Exceptions.st

find
    RethrowErrorHandler

handleError: anError
        super handleError: anError.
        self basicSignal: anError

Which is supposed to be still the 12.04 version as Sean wrote.

However at the moment this is not such much an issue anymore because
with the instructions Sean sent for the cli version I could update the
cli version and the error it reports if fine.

Later I will send a summary of the whole thread

- Test code
- Issues which are still open.

--Hannes

On 4/24/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>
> Retesting ....
>

> And Herby's suggestion to go without #master
>
>  bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git
>
> does not bring the correct version.
>
> Did you uninstall it before?

Re: Compiling Hello.st with amberc on the command line

Hannes Hirzel
Hello

this is a retest of a hello world program on the command line

RESULT: It compiles with an error

QUESTION: What is the cause of this?

     amber version

gives

     Welcome to Amber version 0.13.0-pre (NodeJS 0.10.25).

Smalltalk file: HelloFromAmber.st

Object subclass: #HelloFromAmber
        instanceVariableNames: ''
        package: 'Hello'!

!HelloFromAmber class methodsFor: 'main'!

main

| fs |

console log: '...write a file'.

fs := require value: 'fs'.

fs writeFileSync: 'message.txt' content: 'Hello from Amber'
   errFn: [ theErr | "process theErr"
                     console log: 'there was an error writing the file'].

It compiles with an error

hhzl@hhzl-Latitude-E6400 ~/Documents $ amberc -m HelloFromAmber
HelloFromAmber.st theCompiledProg
Reading: HelloFromAmber.st
[Error: Compiler error in section:
HelloFromAmber class methodsFor: 'main'

while processing chunk:
[object Object]

nil does not understand #isEmpty]

Regards

Hannes

On 4/24/14, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Redid a test
>
>     mkdir test
>     cd test
>     bower cache clean
>     bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git
>     gedit  bower_components/amber/src/Compiler-Exceptions.st
>
> find
>     RethrowErrorHandler
>

> handleError: anError
>         super handleError: anError.
>         self basicSignal: anError
>
> Which is supposed to be still the 12.04 version as Sean wrote.
>
> However at the moment this is not such much an issue anymore because
> with the instructions Sean sent for the cli version I could update the
> cli version and the error it reports if fine.
>
> Later I will send a summary of the whole thread
>
> - Test code
> - Issues which are still open.
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 4/24/14, Herby Vojčík <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> "H. Hirzel" <[hidden email]>napísal/a:
>>
>> Retesting ....
>>

>> And Herby's suggestion to go without #master
>>
>>  bower install git://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber.git
>>
>> does not bring the correct version.
>>
>> Did you uninstall it before?

12