Compiling the VM

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Compiling the VM

Mariano Martinez Peck
I had to install the following:

sudo apt-get install linux-libc-dev libecasound2.2-dev libasound2-dev libc6-dev gnulib libc6-dev libpulse-dev libxrender-dev uuid-dev

Cheers

Mariano

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Hilaire Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have some unmet dependency I can't resolve.

I can't find information about the required -dev packages to install.

Hilaire

-- Configuring squeak 3.11.13-2135 for i686-pc-linux-gnu
-- Using source directory ../unix/src
-- Setting CFLAGS to -O2
-- internalplugins: UUIDPlugin
-- externalplugins: ADPCMCodecPlugin AsynchFilePlugin B3DAcceleratorPlugin Squeak3D BMPReadWriterPlugin B2DPlugin BitBltPlugin CroquetPlugin DSAPrims ZipPlugin DropPlugin SqueakFFIPrims FFTPlugin FT2Plugin FileCopyPlugin FilePlugin FloatArrayPlugin FloatMathPlugin GeniePlugin HostWindowPlugin JPEGReadWriter2Plugin JPEGReaderPlugin JoystickTabletPlugin Klatt LargeIntegers LocalePlugin MIDIPlugin Matrix2x3Plugin MiscPrimitivePlugin Mpeg3Plugin QuicktimePlugin RePlugin SecurityPlugin SerialPlugin SocketPlugin SoundCodecPrims SoundGenerationPlugin SoundPlugin StarSqueakPlugin SurfacePlugin AioPlugin UnixOSProcessPlugin XDisplayControlPlugin
-- Using CFLAGS -O2
-- UUIDPlugin: /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h
-- UUIDPlugin: /usr/lib/libuuid.so
!! B3DAcceleratorPlugin disabled
-- Loaded CMakeASMInformation - ASM support is still experimental, please report issues
-- checking for module 'freetype2'
--   package 'freetype2' not found
!! FT2Plugin disabled
!! HostWindowPlugin disabled
-- Mpeg3Plugin: /usr/lib/libpthread.so
-- SocketPlugin: libsocket not found
-- SocketPlugin: /usr/lib/libnsl.so
-- UnixOSProcessPlugin: /usr/lib/libpthread.so
!! XDisplayControlPlugin disabled
-- vm-sound-ALSA: /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h
-- vm-sound-ALSA: /usr/lib/libasound.so
!! vm-display-Quartz disabled
!! vm-sound-MacOSX disabled
!! vm-display-X11 disabled
-- vm-display-fbdev: /usr/include/linux/fb.h
-- vm-sound-pulse: libpulse-simple not found
!! vm-sound-pulse disabled
-- vm-sound-NAS: audio/audio.h not found
-- vm-sound-NAS: libaudio not found
!! vm-sound-NAS disabled
-- vm-sound-OSS: /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h
-- vm-sound-OSS: /usr/lib/libasound.so
-- vm-sound-Sun: sys/audioio.h not found
-- vm-sound-Sun: sun/audioio.h not found
-- vm-sound-Sun: /usr/include/stropts.h
!! vm-sound-Sun disabled
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/hilaire/Travaux/pharo/Squeak-3.11.3.2135-pharo-src/build

Re: Compiling the VM

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Interesting!  The libpulse part, I mean, in connection with my dlopen() problems.  Running Pharo from a terminal (I still think it should log this stuff on its own) captures messages like

          Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 643: _dl_open:

      Assertion `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!

and feeding that into Google turns up mention of Skype, library dependcy hassles, and Debian bug 548983.  Just grabbing at straws here, but could the problem be caused by the sound library?

Bill

Re: Compiling the VM

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I have tied a couple of times to post my dlopen() example here, and it won't show up.  Please see the package named OutlookStrikesAgain in the Pharo inbox.  I *think* it is safe to load the package, but note that the class-side #getProcAddress:from: method and do-it chunk therein will very likely crash your vm.

Any help in confirming that there is a problem (on Linux) and better bet in fixing or working around it will be greatly appreciated.  I tried running the vm with vm-sound-null but it did not help.

Bill

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Compiling the VM

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I am fairly certain that there is a vm linking bug similar to the problem that affected skype.  See Debian bug 548983.

To work around this, I added functions named OpenLibrary(), FindSymbol() and CloseLibrary() to a .so of mine and directed my callout methods to it rather than dlopen() and friends in libdl.so.  All my functions do is return the value of the corresponding libdl function.  Compile and link, no crash.

Can someone please try to repeat the crash on Linux?

Bill