Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
Juan

what you note below is a very promising perspective.
Thank you very much indeed for the 4.1 release. It is very neat.

I like 4.1 very much.

--Hannes

See other notes below....

On 12/26/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> FYI...

[...]

> Hi Folks,
>
> Thanks for suggesting all this, Ron.
> (inline)
>
> Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
>>
>> I’m happy with the fragmentation. I wasn’t at the start of this
>> conversation but I think I’m starting to appreciate it. I agree that
>> the goals for each are a bit different and having separated achieving
>> those goals is easier. We are building some new stuff and it seems
>> that selecting the right fork for the right job “may” not have been
>> possible without the split. There are a number of new developments
>> coming, (in the VM, Spoon, Seaside, Cuis, EToys, …) and it’s possible
>> that one big monolithic Squeak may have made it more difficult for
>> all. It seems that we are closer to having split up the components
>> then we had thought.
>>

> I agree.
>
>> I know we cannot make everyone happy. It seems that the starting point
>> which seems to me to be COG, is the common link that binds everything
>> else. Let me know if you think that is wrong. If that is true then
>> building Squeak, or Pharo, or Cuis from a single point seems like
>> something that might help bring the communities back together. Will
>> Github or SmalltalkHub help to accomplish this? If this were a goal
>> would either do more than the other?
>>

> I believe that the option that allows for a minimal image that can grow
> is something close to the package support in Cuis, that is extremely
> compact, doesn't require Monticello and relies on Github (or similar)
> for version control. I like the idea of building each distribution from
> a single point. That single point could be not far from current Cuis. I
> believe that Cuis, removing Morphic, programming tools, and any other
> non-kernel image or Cuis specific stuff, could become that single point.
>
> If the people behind other Squeak distributions and Squeak derived
> projects want to go ahead with this, I volunteer for building that
> starting point by removing from Cuis any stuff that anybody doesn't want
> in there.
Yes, parts of Cuis in
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis

could be put into a packages (pck) directory and be loaded in with a
load script.
This would ease cooperative development of the parts in github (forking).

A first candidate could be to offload a major part of Morphic so that
only a minimal GUI like the one attached remains.

One Workspace (REPL equivalent) and the Transcript. (No movable
windows, just the screen split into two parts with the left part being
editable).

From there with an Installer script Morphic and other subsystem may be loaded.

BTW

https://github.com/search?q=cuis&p=1&ref=searchbar&type=Repositories&l=

gives as the second entry the
  https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
project

but marked as a C# project. I assume it is because of the *.cs
extensions in the CuisUpdates subdirectory.

Having *.cs.st as equally valuable file extension for *.cs could solve
the problem.
I assume there are other solutions for this as well.

The goal is that Cuis shows up on the
    https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
dash board to enhance the visibility.

However before Morphic other packages (like Sound) are probably easier
to unload as *.pck files.

A subdirectory build or 'configurations' would be needed as well where
people can put there scripts which build various Cuis distributions.
(e.g. for example one which has Regex, PetitParser and XML tools preloaded)

>Then, the Cuis distribution would be built by loading a set of
> packages on top of it. The same could be done for the projects that
> adhere to this idea. Some of those packages could be shared. For
> instance, for Cuis, I'd be more than happy to use the Compiler package
> that Eliot works on. But, most likely, I'd not use the same Morphic
> package as Squeak. This could reduce the effort due to code duplication.
>
>> I agree with the goal, we want to be able to load a package and have
>> it work and it would be nice if the dependencies were limited/managed
>> such so that it will load in any fork. Not all packages will load in
>> every fork so knowing which will work beforehand is preferable. VW is
>> different since nobody expects that with some work it will run on
>> Oinq, I mean Cog (my name for the vm didn’t stick).
>>

> Qwaq for the voice of the duck, and Oinq for the pig, right? :)
>
>> It seems to me that it doesn’t really matter. There seems to be some
>> movement behind Metacello and SmalltalkHub. Sometimes movement is
>> preferable to good ideas. If Metacello works for Squeak and will work
>> with SmalltalkHub should we not include it in Squeak to give it a
>> boost? If Squeak goes with GitHub will Pharo follow?
>>

> Cuis doesn't include Monticello. I believe that a more compact and
> simpler implementation of package support, together with Github for
> version control, repositories, etc. is better. We are already using this
> with Cuis, and the results are good. It would be quite improbable that I
> could be persuaded of pre-loading Monticello into Cuis.
>
>> Nobody likes change but if we would all benefit from adopting some
>> similar tools should we not consider doing that for the benefit of the
>> entire Smalltalk community.
>>

> Agreed. Especially if it helps making the system (Cuis in my case)
> simpler, easy to understand, and manage.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
>> All the best,
>>
>> *Ron Teitelbaum*
>>
>> /Head Of Engineering/
>>
>> *3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting*
>>
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>
>> Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum <https://twitter.com/RonTeitelbaum>
>>
>> www.3dicc.com <http://www.3dicc.com/>
>>
>> 3d ICC on G+
>> <https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/108936249366287171125/108936249366287171125/posts>

ProposalForMinimalMorphicGUIforCuis4.1.png (45K) Download Attachment

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

(inline)

H. Hirzel wrote:

> Juan
>
> what you note below is a very promising perspective.
> Thank you very much indeed for the 4.1 release. It is very neat.
>
> I like 4.1 very much.
>
> --Hannes

Thanks, Hannes. I'm glad you like it.

> See other notes below....
>

>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I believe that the option that allows for a minimal image that can grow
>> is something close to the package support in Cuis, that is extremely
>> compact, doesn't require Monticello and relies on Github (or similar)
>> for version control. I like the idea of building each distribution from
>> a single point. That single point could be not far from current Cuis. I
>> believe that Cuis, removing Morphic, programming tools, and any other
>> non-kernel image or Cuis specific stuff, could become that single point.
>>
>> If the people behind other Squeak distributions and Squeak derived
>> projects want to go ahead with this, I volunteer for building that
>> starting point by removing from Cuis any stuff that anybody doesn't want
>> in there.
>>

> Yes, parts of Cuis in
> https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>
> could be put into a packages (pck) directory and be loaded in with a
> load script.
> This would ease cooperative development of the parts in github (forking).
>
> A first candidate could be to offload a major part of Morphic so that
> only a minimal GUI like the one attached remains.

Yes, this would be nice. It is not currently my highest priority,
although that would change if Squeak or some Squeak fork(s) adopted the
idea. I that case, supporting such project would be top priority,
because of the community impact.

If it is just for Cuis, it is of course nice, but the benefits would be
limited to Cuis and its users. Unless someone else wants to work on
this. I'd fully support such initiative.

> One Workspace (REPL equivalent) and the Transcript. (No movable
> windows, just the screen split into two parts with the left part being
> editable).
>
> >From there with an Installer script Morphic and other subsystem may be loaded.

Yes. This is a great idea. And it is not really hard to do. Transcript
is already read-only and independent of Morphic. And for the REPL we
have Transcripter (a.k.a. Emergency Evaluator. See #emergencyEvaluator).
In any case, living in such a restricted world, we'd really miss the
Browser and Debugger!

> BTW
>
> https://github.com/search?q=cuis&p=1&ref=searchbar&type=Repositories&l=
>
> gives as the second entry the
>   https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
> project
>
> but marked as a C# project. I assume it is because of the *.cs
> extensions in the CuisUpdates subdirectory.
>
> Having *.cs.st as equally valuable file extension for *.cs could solve
> the problem.
> I assume there are other solutions for this as well.
>
> The goal is that Cuis shows up on the
>     https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk
> dash board to enhance the visibility.

Agreed. I'd really like to be able to tell GitHub this is smalltalk,
without changing the file extensions (asked for help on another thread).
But we can do it if there's no alternative.

> However before Morphic other packages (like Sound) are probably easier
> to unload as *.pck files.
>
> A subdirectory build or 'configurations' would be needed as well where
> people can put there scripts which build various Cuis distributions.
> (e.g. for example one which has Regex, PetitParser and XML tools preloaded)

This would be nice. But for this to work smoothly, I think we'd adopt
Angel's idea of having the packages in the same repo as Cuis, so, if you
just download some (tagged) commit from there, you already have package
versions that are compatible with the Cuis version. Right?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Juan for the answer. I have to think about it. In the
meantime I want to learn more how to use github, in particular how to
use branches. It might be that a central 'packages' directory in
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis together with individual forks and
branches could do the job....

And thank you for making 'Cuis' a 'Smalltalk' project on github. It show up as
'most starred this month' on https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

And on the Squeak side some efforts have (re-)started to create a
minimal Squeak (Pavel, Colin & Edgar) from which packages may be
loaded. We'll see how it goes.  Maybe some synergy is possible.

--Hannes

On 12/30/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> But we can do it if there's no alternative.
>
>> However before Morphic other packages (like Sound) are probably easier
>> to unload as *.pck files.
>>
>> A subdirectory build or 'configurations' would be needed as well where
>> people can put there scripts which build various Cuis distributions.
>> (e.g. for example one which has Regex, PetitParser and XML tools
>> preloaded)
>>

> This would be nice. But for this to work smoothly, I think we'd adopt
> Angel's idea of having the packages in the same repo as Cuis, so, if you
> just download some (tagged) commit from there, you already have package
> versions that are compatible with the Cuis version. Right?
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

And I think it is useful to have a look at the directory structure of
   https://github.com/bonzini/smalltalk (GNU Smalltalk)

--Hannes

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Thank you Juan for the answer. I have to think about it. In the
> meantime I want to learn more how to use github, in particular how to
> use branches. It might be that a central 'packages' directory in
> https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis together with individual forks and
> branches could do the job....

I'm not a github expert at all. Please keep us posted on what you learn...

> And thank you for making 'Cuis' a 'Smalltalk' project on github. It show up as
> 'most starred this month' on https://github.com/languages/Smalltalk

:)

> And on the Squeak side some efforts have (re-)started to create a
> minimal Squeak (Pavel, Colin & Edgar) from which packages may be
> loaded. We'll see how it goes.  Maybe some synergy is possible.

Yes. Let's hope the best.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

> [...]
>> But we can do it if there's no alternative.
>>

>>> However before Morphic other packages (like Sound) are probably easier
>>> to unload as *.pck files.
>>>
>>> A subdirectory build or 'configurations' would be needed as well where
>>> people can put there scripts which build various Cuis distributions.
>>> (e.g. for example one which has Regex, PetitParser and XML tools
>>> preloaded)
>>>

>> This would be nice. But for this to work smoothly, I think we'd adopt
>> Angel's idea of having the packages in the same repo as Cuis, so, if you
>> just download some (tagged) commit from there, you already have package
>> versions that are compatible with the Cuis version. Right?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Can you elaborate? You see here something I don't get.

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

Angel Java Lopez wrote:

> Interesting... see the combination of tags and branches
>
> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     And I think it is useful to have a look at the directory structure of
>        https://github.com/bonzini/smalltalk (GNU Smalltalk)
>
>     --Hannes

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
There are about 40 branches with names like 'Seaside', 'Omnibrowser',
'Filesystem' ....

and the tags are used for version numbers.

It seems that the integration/development of a subsystem is done in a branch.

I think we all have to read Chapter 3 of the git book

http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching

<citation>
Some people refer to the branching model in Git as its “killer
feature” , and it certainly sets Git apart in the VCS community. Why
is it so special? The way Git branches is incredibly lightweight,
making branching operations nearly instantaneous and switching back
and forth between branches generally just as fast. Unlike many other
VCSs, Git encourages a workflow that branches and merges often, even
multiple times in a day. Understanding and mastering this feature
gives you a powerful and unique tool and can literally change the way
that you develop.
</citation>

:-)

--Hannes

On 12/31/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you elaborate? You see here something I don't get.
>
> Thanks,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> Angel Java Lopez wrote:
>> Interesting... see the combination of tags and branches
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     And I think it is useful to have a look at the directory structure of
>>        https://github.com/bonzini/smalltalk (GNU Smalltalk)
>>
>>     --Hannes

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
and later

<citation>
Because a branch in Git is in actuality a simple file that contains
the 40 character SHA-1 checksum of the commit it points to, branches
are cheap to create and destroy. Creating a new branch is as quick and
simple as writing 41 bytes to a file (40 characters and a newline).

This is in sharp contrast to the way most VCS tools branch, which
involves copying all of the project’s files into a second directory.
This can take several seconds or even minutes, depending on the size
of the project, whereas in Git the process is always instantaneous.
Also, because we’re recording the parents when we commit, finding a
proper merge base for merging is automatically done for us and is
generally very easy to do. These features help encourage developers to
create and use branches often.
</citation>

Angel,

how do you think we should use branches?

Amber https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber (Smalltalk which compiles
to JavaScript and runs on node.js or in a browser) for example only
has 5.

--Hannes

On 12/31/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are about 40 branches with names like 'Seaside', 'Omnibrowser',
> 'Filesystem' ....
>
> and the tags are used for version numbers.
>
> It seems that the integration/development of a subsystem is done in a
> branch.
>
> I think we all have to read Chapter 3 of the git book
>
> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching
>
> <citation>
> Some people refer to the branching model in Git as its “killer
> feature” , and it certainly sets Git apart in the VCS community. Why
> is it so special? The way Git branches is incredibly lightweight,
> making branching operations nearly instantaneous and switching back
> and forth between branches generally just as fast. Unlike many other
> VCSs, Git encourages a workflow that branches and merges often, even
> multiple times in a day. Understanding and mastering this feature
> gives you a powerful and unique tool and can literally change the way
> that you develop.
> </citation>
>
> :-)
>
> --Hannes
>

> On 12/31/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can you elaborate? You see here something I don't get.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Juan Vuletich
>>
>> Angel Java Lopez wrote:
>>> Interesting... see the combination of tags and branches
>>>
>>> On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     And I think it is useful to have a look at the directory structure
>>> of
>>>        https://github.com/bonzini/smalltalk (GNU Smalltalk)
>>>
>>>     --Hannes

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
Sorry, the last two mails should have gone under the 'Learning git'
subject line.

As for building a Cuis distribution from *.pck files I think we need a
'packages' and a 'scripts' directory in the main repository

https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis

And as we are at adding directories...
   in addition a 'documentation' directory

--Hannes

On 12/31/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> and later
>
> <citation>
> Because a branch in Git is in actuality a simple file that contains
> the 40 character SHA-1 checksum of the commit it points to, branches
> are cheap to create and destroy. Creating a new branch is as quick and
> simple as writing 41 bytes to a file (40 characters and a newline).
>
> This is in sharp contrast to the way most VCS tools branch, which
> involves copying all of the project’s files into a second directory.
> This can take several seconds or even minutes, depending on the size
> of the project, whereas in Git the process is always instantaneous.
> Also, because we’re recording the parents when we commit, finding a
> proper merge base for merging is automatically done for us and is
> generally very easy to do. These features help encourage developers to
> create and use branches often.
> </citation>
>
> Angel,
>
> how do you think we should use branches?
>
> Amber https://github.com/NicolasPetton/amber (Smalltalk which compiles
> to JavaScript and runs on node.js or in a browser) for example only
> has 5.
>

> --Hannes
>
> On 12/31/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There are about 40 branches with names like 'Seaside', 'Omnibrowser',
>> 'Filesystem' ....
>>
>> and the tags are used for version numbers.
>>
>> It seems that the integration/development of a subsystem is done in a
>> branch.
>>
>> I think we all have to read Chapter 3 of the git book
>>
>> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Branching
>>
>> <citation>
>> Some people refer to the branching model in Git as its “killer
>> feature” , and it certainly sets Git apart in the VCS community. Why
>> is it so special? The way Git branches is incredibly lightweight,
>> making branching operations nearly instantaneous and switching back
>> and forth between branches generally just as fast. Unlike many other
>> VCSs, Git encourages a workflow that branches and merges often, even
>> multiple times in a day. Understanding and mastering this feature
>> gives you a powerful and unique tool and can literally change the way
>> that you develop.
>> </citation>
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> --Hannes
>>

>> On 12/31/12, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Can you elaborate? You see here something I don't get.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Juan Vuletich

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hannes Hirzel
I have now done a sample how a repository could look like, see
https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis

A copy of PetitParser is in a subdirectory 'packages'.

I did this following the instructions of Angel in the 'Learning github
...' thread. Thank you, Angel.

What is still missing is the proper use of branches. This should not
be done in a main branch but in a 'PetitParser' branch.

> [...]

>>> <citation>
>>> Some people refer to the branching model in Git as its “killer
>>> feature” , and it certainly sets Git apart in the VCS community. Why
>>> is it so special? The way Git branches is incredibly lightweight,
>>> making branching operations nearly instantaneous and switching back
>>> and forth between branches generally just as fast. Unlike many other
>>> VCSs, Git encourages a workflow that branches and merges often, even
>>> multiple times in a day. Understanding and mastering this feature
>>> gives you a powerful and unique tool and can literally change the way
>>> that you develop.
>>> </citation>
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hi people!

I don't know enough of Smalltalk (and its source code in file) to see the best o better way of using GitHub. But I see in other technologies, used in this way:

- Branch x is an experimental branch, on new or improved feature a. For example, x == stm and the feature is a == Software Transactional Memory. Eventually, the branch dissapears, or it is merged with the main one

- Branch x is for other platform. Some people uses branch in this way, or eventually it fork another project. But this way of use is rare, AFAIK

- Branch x is an experimental branch, but born from an external pull request. That is, some other author wrote a Software Transactional Memory implementation, and then, the main author(s) of the central repo, accept his/her contribution, but not in master yet, only to be testes and stressed by all.

In forked repos, branches are used by the external contributor in the following way. He/she has many ideas, fixes, issues it can resolved. Then, forks the original repo, and not start to work DIRECTLY on this new fork. Instead, he/she creates a branch FOR EACH idea, fix, bug solution, etc... The branches are used like the patches in other systems. Author makes a pull request to central repo, per branch. So, the central authors can accept or reject by branch.

Regarding Juan question, about "elaborate", the above was about branch. About tags, you can see in the Smalltalk GNU project the use of tags for versions. That is the "standard" way on most technologies.

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez
github:ajlopez

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:49 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> <citation>
>>> Some people refer to the branching model in Git as its “killer
>>> feature” , and it certainly sets Git apart in the VCS community. Why
>>> is it so special? The way Git branches is incredibly lightweight,
>>> making branching operations nearly instantaneous and switching back
>>> and forth between branches generally just as fast. Unlike many other
>>> VCSs, Git encourages a workflow that branches and merges often, even
>>> multiple times in a day. Understanding and mastering this feature
>>> gives you a powerful and unique tool and can literally change the way
>>> that you develop.
>>> </citation>
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> --Hannes

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Hello Angel

thank you for this concise summary. It helps me a lot.

So a workflow for me could look like this

1) I work in my fork https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
2) I create a branch for an  idea, fix, bug solution as concerns the
general Cuis development as well as branches for my own development.
3a) I issue pull requests to Juan for a particular branch if I think
it should go into Juan's repository.
3b) Juan accepts and merges the update or not.
3c) I re-synchronize with Juan's master branch from time to time by
     git pull upstream master  [1]
3d) I merge it into my master branch.
4) For the 'repositories' subdirectory: we have a branch for each
package group, i.e. one for PetitParser, one for RegularExpressions
etc.

From a Cuis point of view it seems that this is a good solution.

So far however people have been developing external packages for Cuis
in separate repositories
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ListOfCuisPackages.md.
In case of a package which should be loadable in different Squeak
(Smalltalk) distributions that seems to be better.

But as all packages on the list
https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ListOfCuisPackages.md
are Cuis specific they might as well just be maintained in individual
forks/branches of the main Cuis distribution as shown in
https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis  (no branches yet)

And in particular as it is about Smalltalk artifacts which are
compatible with the Cuis core.

What do you think?

--Hannes

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2257196/git-pull-from-other-branch

On 12/31/12, Angel Java Lopez <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> I don't know enough of Smalltalk (and its source code in file) to see the
> best o better way of using GitHub. But I see in other technologies, used in
> this way:
>
> - Branch x is an experimental branch, on new or improved feature a. For
> example, x == stm and the feature is a == Software Transactional Memory.
> Eventually, the branch dissapears, or it is merged with the main one
>
> - Branch x is for other platform. Some people uses branch in this way, or
> eventually it fork another project. But this way of use is rare, AFAIK
>
> - Branch x is an experimental branch, but born from an external pull
> request. That is, some other author wrote a Software Transactional Memory
> implementation, and then, the main author(s) of the central repo, accept
> his/her contribution, but not in master yet, only to be testes and stressed
> by all.
>
> In forked repos, branches are used by the external contributor in the
> following way. He/she has many ideas, fixes, issues it can resolved. Then,
> forks the original repo, and not start to work DIRECTLY on this new fork.
> Instead, he/she creates a branch FOR EACH idea, fix, bug solution, etc...
> The branches are used like the patches in other systems. Author makes a
> pull request to central repo, per branch. So, the central authors can
> accept or reject by branch.
>
> Regarding Juan question, about "elaborate", the above was about branch.
> About tags, you can see in the Smalltalk GNU project the use of tags for
> versions. That is the "standard" way on most technologies.
>
> Angel "Java" Lopez
> @ajlopez
> github:ajlopez
>

> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 5:49 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have now done a sample how a repository could look like, see
>> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis
>>
>> A copy of PetitParser is in a subdirectory 'packages'.
>>
>> I did this following the instructions of Angel in the 'Learning github
>> ...' thread. Thank you, Angel.
>>
>> What is still missing is the proper use of branches. This should not
>> be done in a main branch but in a 'PetitParser' branch.
>>
>> --Hannes
>>
>> On 12/31/12, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Sorry, the last two mails should have gone under the 'Learning git'
>> > subject line.
>> >
>> > As for building a Cuis distribution from *.pck files I think we need a
>> > 'packages' and a 'scripts' directory in the main repository
>> >
>> > https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis
>> >
>> > And as we are at adding directories...
>> >    in addition a 'documentation' directory
>> >
>> > --Hannes

>> structure

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Angel. Your insights will surely be very useful, even if we'll
take it slow.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

Angel Java Lopez wrote:

> [...]
>     >>>>>     And I think it is useful to have a look at the directory
>     structure
>     >>>>> of
>     >>>>>        https://github.com/bonzini/smalltalk (GNU Smalltalk)
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>>     --Hannes
>     >>>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>>
>     >>>> _______________________________________________
>     >>>> Cuis mailing list
>     >>>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >>>> http://jvuletich.org/mailman/listinfo/cuis_jvuletich.org
>     >>>>
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >

Re: Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

garduino
Sure, a great contribution of Angel with knowledge about Git.

Thanks.