CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

Jan Theodore Galkowski
I'm looking for a vanilla Container view for CompositePresenter.
By "vanilla" I mean something that has a parent-child relationship
with the views it contains and some kind of simple border (or
a slot where a border object can be put), but no automatic
resizing or anything of that kind.

The Toolbox off the View Composer gives two concrete container
classes, CardContainer and WizardCardContainer. It looks like
CompositePresenter.WizardCardContainer is a "more concrete"
version of AbstractCardContainer, and CardContainer is a
"card" having a specific look.

What's the recommended approach here for a ContainerView-like thing
that I can have in the Toolbox to use for this purpose?  Is it
a matter of using something like CardContainer as a template for
this plan old Container which is to descend from ContainerView,
and then adding that to the Toolbox list?  What are the minimum
requirements for ContainerViews that can work with the ViewComposer
in a CompositePresenter context?  Is this written up some place
in the Education Centre, or on the Dolphin Wiki?

Thanks,

   --jt

 Jan Theodore Galkowski                    [hidden email]
 The Smalltalk Idiom                             [hidden email]
             "Smalltalk?  Yes, it's really that slick."
Want to know more?  Check out
           http://www.dnsmith.com/SmallFAQ/
           http://www.object-arts.com/DolphinWhitePaper.htm
           http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/smalltalk/

Re: CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

Bill Schwab
Jan,

If I'm following you, CompositePresenter.Default view is going to be closer
than the card containers, which assume that you want one child visible at a
time and will either use tabs (card container) or forward/back buttons
(wizard card container) to navigate.  If you want a specialized form of the
simplest container view, then you can always create a new view resource and
save it in a package.  My Wizardry package contains a few examples aimed
primarily at wizard interfaces, as well as a few loose methods to help with
framing layouts.  It might give you some ideas for how to set up something
that works the way you want.

Does that help?

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

Andy Bower
Jan,

> I'm looking for a vanilla Container view for CompositePresenter.
> By "vanilla" I mean something that has a parent-child relationship
> with the views it contains and some kind of simple border (or
> a slot where a border object can be put), but no automatic
> resizing or anything of that kind.

I think what you want is CompositePresenter.Default view. If you use this
and don't specify a layout manager then you won't get any automatic resizing
of the child views. Also you can choose from a number of border styles using
the #hasBorder, #hasClientEdge, #hasStaticEdge aspects.

I do, however, notice that the CompositePresenter.Default view resource is
currently in the "Development System" package which I think is incorrect.
We'll fix this for a future release (logged as defect 313).

BTW, thanks for the link to the Dolphin White Paper which, even though it
was written six years ago, still seems relevant today (i.e. the same
predudices against Smalltalk still abound). Just shows how the current
"popular" OO languages have managed to stifle the industry over the last
half decade!

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com
---
Are you trying too hard?
http://www.object-arts.com/Relax.htm
---

Re: CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

Jan Theodore Galkowski
In article <9l4kgo$2sm$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

>Jan,
>
>If I'm following you, CompositePresenter.Default view is going to be closer
>than the card containers

[snip]

>.... If you want a specialized form of the
>simplest container view, then you can always create a new view resource and
>save it in a package.  My Wizardry package contains a few examples aimed
>primarily at wizard interfaces

[snip]

>Does that help?

Yes, Bill, it does, very much so.  Thanks.  I haven't had a look
at Wizardry, but I will, some time.

  --Jan

[snip]

 Jan Theodore Galkowski                    [hidden email]
 The Smalltalk Idiom                             [hidden email]
             "Smalltalk?  Yes, it's really that slick."
Want to know more?  Check out
           http://www.dnsmith.com/SmallFAQ/
           http://www.object-arts.com/DolphinWhitePaper.htm
           http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/johnson/smalltalk/

Re: CompositePresenter.Container --> CompositePresenter.CardContainer | CompositePresenter.WizardContainer

Jan Theodore Galkowski
In article <9l4kgo$2sm$[hidden email]>, [hidden email] says...

>Jan,
>
>If I'm following you, CompositePresenter.Default view is going to be closer
>than the card containers...

[snip]

My Wizardry package contains a few examples aimed
>primarily at wizard interfaces, as well as a few loose methods to help with
>framing layouts.  It might give you some ideas for how to set up something
>that works the way you want.

[snip]

>Does that help?

Yes, it does, very much so, thanks.  I haven't looked at Wizardry yet,
but I will.

[snip]