Compressing modules

Luca Bruno aka Lethalman
Hello,
what about creating modules for tar/zlib/bzip2 with a abstraction layer for all kind of compressions?
I'm new to GST, the latest version 2.2 has been released in 2005, i think GST should continue to live and become the best Smalltalk solution, also over Squeak.

Bye.

Re: Compressing modules

Paolo Bonzini
Lethalman aka Luca Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
> what about creating modules for tar/zlib/bzip2 with a abstraction layer for
> all kind of compressions?
It's already there -- it's called VFS and it uses shell scripts or
external programs as the "abstraction layer".  I don't know if it has
bitrotten, and for sure having instead a module that wraps zlib or bzip2
would be a good idea.

Paolo

Re: Compressing modules

Luca Bruno aka Lethalman

Paolo Bonzini wrote
Lethalman aka Luca Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
> what about creating modules for tar/zlib/bzip2 with a abstraction layer for
> all kind of compressions?
It's already there -- it's called VFS and it uses shell scripts or
external programs as the "abstraction layer".  I don't know if it has
bitrotten, and for sure having instead a module that wraps zlib or bzip2
would be a good idea.

Paolo

Yes, i've seen VFS (a superficial view of it), but maybe it'is better to have a module instead of dealing with console.

Re: Compressing modules

Paolo Bonzini

>> It's already there -- it's called VFS and it uses shell scripts or
>> external programs as the "abstraction layer".  I don't know if it has
>> bitrotten, and for sure having instead a module that wraps zlib or bzip2
>> would be a good idea.
> Yes, i've seen VFS (a superficial view of it), but maybe it'is better to
> have a module instead of dealing with console.

You can extend VFS with new classes that don't use the shell -- the
structure is there, what is needed is the modules, which as I said is a
good idea.  In fact, the Midnight Commander for example does not use
shell scripts for "tar" files.

Paolo

Re: Compressing modules

Luca Bruno aka Lethalman

Paolo Bonzini wrote
>> It's already there -- it's called VFS and it uses shell scripts or
>> external programs as the "abstraction layer".  I don't know if it has
>> bitrotten, and for sure having instead a module that wraps zlib or bzip2
>> would be a good idea.
> Yes, i've seen VFS (a superficial view of it), but maybe it'is better to
> have a module instead of dealing with console.

You can extend VFS with new classes that don't use the shell -- the
structure is there, what is needed is the modules, which as I said is a
good idea.  In fact, the Midnight Commander for example does not use
shell scripts for "tar" files.

Paolo

Ok, i'll take a look on it... thanks for the hint.