ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
From post on Squeak-dev:

Tested in:
* Squeak 4.1-10145
* Pharo 1.1-11364

Squeak:
Installer ss
  project: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
  install: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser'.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load

Pharo:
Gofer new
  squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
  package: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser';
  load.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load

p.s. I didn't upload to SqS/MetacelloRepository because I don't have write access to SqS/ExternalWebBrowser, so right now, I've hijacked :) the project @ SqS/SPDProjectUpdates pending Alexander's response.

Should I upload to SqS/MetacelloRepository anyway?

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks sean!

What is an external web browser?
And how to we use the code in this package?
What are its goals?

Stef

On May 15, 2010, at 10:37 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> From post on Squeak-dev:
>
> Tested in:
> * Squeak 4.1-10145
> * Pharo 1.1-11364
>
> Squeak:
> Installer ss
>  project: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>  install: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser'.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load
>
> Pharo:
> Gofer new
>  squeaksource: 'SPDProjectUpdates';
>  package: 'ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser';
>  load.
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser) load
>
> p.s. I didn't upload to SqS/MetacelloRepository because I don't have write
> access to SqS/ExternalWebBrowser, so right now, I've hijacked :) the project
> @ SqS/SPDProjectUpdates pending Alexander's response.
>
> Should I upload to SqS/MetacelloRepository anyway?
>
> Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> What is an external web browser?
> What are its goals?
It's an alternative to Scamper.  It forwards urls to the underlying OS's browser e.g. on my mac, it opens the URL in a new Safari window.

And how to we use the code in this package?
"ExternalWebBrowser openOnUrl: 'www.squeak.org'"

I haven't played with it more than that.  I'm just porting projects that sound interesting, both for practice, and adventure.

Sean

Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Stéphane Ducasse
ok thanks for the explanation.

Stef

On May 15, 2010, at 11:02 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

>> What is an external web browser?
>> What are its goals?
> It's an alternative to Scamper.  It forwards urls to the underlying OS's
> browser e.g. on my mac, it opens the URL in a new Safari window.
>
> And how to we use the code in this package?
> "ExternalWebBrowser openOnUrl: 'www.squeak.org'"
>
> I haven't played with it more than that.  I'm just porting projects that
> sound interesting, both for practice, and adventure.
>
> Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hilaire Fernandes-6 wrote
Is it portable to different OS? Does it use a VM plugin?
Someone on squeak-dev said it worked on Windows for them.

Not sure about plugins - Applescript and FFI are dependencies.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

if this is based on applescript you get the answer :)

Stef

On May 16, 2010, at 2:48 PM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
>>> What is an external web browser?
>>> What are its goals?
>> It's an alternative to Scamper.  It forwards urls to the underlying OS's
>> browser e.g. on my mac, it opens the URL in a new Safari window.
>> And how to we use the code in this package?
>> "ExternalWebBrowser openOnUrl: 'www.squeak.org'"
>

> Is it portable to different OS? Does it use a VM plugin?
>
> Hilaire

Re: ConfigurationOfExternalWebBrowser working in Squeak and Pharo trunk

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
if this is based on applescript you get the answer :)
It looks like Applescript is only necessary for pre-unix (OS X?) Macs, so this could be removed?  Also, Andreas mentioned that even Applescript could be rewritten without its own plugin and use FFI (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1414.diff?id=17).

Sean
Cheers,
Sean