ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi there,

I’d very much like to upgrade a version of ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer to make it loadable in Pharo 3

who maintains this?

any place to do a merge request or its equivalent?

I’m loading like this:

Gofer new
package: 'ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer';
load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer) project version: #stable) load.

And the complaint is about the use of the deprecated FileDirectory

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathNameDelimiter
ModDoc class>>initialize
MCMethodDefinition>>postloadOver:

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Sebastian,

Send me the mcz files, I will take a look and take care of it

thx
Johan

On 14 Feb 2014, at 15:05, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I’d very much like to upgrade a version of ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer to make it loadable in Pharo 3
>
> who maintains this?
>
> any place to do a merge request or its equivalent?
>

> I’m loading like this:
>
> Gofer new
> url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer';
> load.
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer) project version: #stable) load.
>

> And the complaint is about the use of the deprecated FileDirectory
>
> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathNameDelimiter
> ModDoc class>>initialize
> MCMethodDefinition>>postloadOver:

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
cool!

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Send me the mcz files, I will take a look and take care of it
>
> thx
> Johan
>
> On 14 Feb 2014, at 15:05, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I’d very much like to upgrade a version of ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer to make it loadable in Pharo 3
>>
>> who maintains this?
>>
>> any place to do a merge request or its equivalent?
>>

>> I’m loading like this:
>>
>> Gofer new
>> url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer';
>> load.
>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer) project version: #stable) load.
>>

>> And the complaint is about the use of the deprecated FileDirectory
>>
>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathNameDelimiter
>> ModDoc class>>initialize
>> MCMethodDefinition>>postloadOver:

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

Johan Brichau-2
Hi Sebastian,

I committed your changes. Thank you.

One thing I noticed is that you started from an older package version. I committed both your packages and a merge with the latest version.
Since I was using this latest version of Kom before switching to Zinc, I think it should work. But let me know if not.

I also added version 1.1.2 to the configuration.

Can you check if all is well?

thanks again

Johan

On 14 Feb 2014, at 16:27, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> cool!
>

> On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:33 PM, Johan Brichau <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sebastian,
>>
>> Send me the mcz files, I will take a look and take care of it
>>
>> thx
>> Johan
>>
>> On 14 Feb 2014, at 15:05, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I’d very much like to upgrade a version of ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer to make it loadable in Pharo 3
>>>
>>> who maintains this?
>>>
>>> any place to do a merge request or its equivalent?
>>>

>>> I’m loading like this:
>>>
>>> Gofer new
>>> url:'http://www.smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/MetacelloConfigurations/main';
>>> package: 'ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer';
>>> load.
>>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer) project version: #stable) load.
>>>

>>> And the complaint is about the use of the deprecated FileDirectory
>>>
>>> UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #pathNameDelimiter
>>> ModDoc class>>initialize
>>> MCMethodDefinition>>postloadOver:

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hi Johan,

Sure..

I’ve deleted the package-cache dir
Then loaded the stable version (it warns about BlockContext

then the lastVersion and it could not resolve about DinamicBindings

maybe the merge didn’t go well because of that dates you mention?

On 14 Feb 2014, at 23:07, Sebastian Sastre <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Then loaded the stable version (it warns about BlockContext

Hm, I did not define a #stable version for Pharo3.
Oh well, I guess it does not hurt in this case. I added it now.

> then the lastVersion and it could not resolve about DinamicBindings

ouch, leading space in copy/paste _and_ forgotten to copy to the repo...
I guess it's getting a bit too late to quickly do these things...

> maybe the merge didn’t go well because of that dates you mention?

hm... I tried loading the packages and did not get that.
Perhaps you were loading the previous ones given the troubles above?

Hope it works now!
Johan

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

hernanmd

Hi there,

I’d very much like to upgrade a version of ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer to make it loadable in Pharo 3

who maintains this?

any place to do a merge request or its equivalent?

KomHttpServer is loadable in Pharo 3 since weeks ago from the Configuration Browser.

On 16 Feb 2014, at 02:44, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

KomHttpServer is loadable in Pharo 3 since weeks ago from the Configuration Browser.

Is this the one in http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/KomHttpServer ?
So… we have that one and we have http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Seaside/KomHttpServer

Like with Grease a couple of months ago, this is not a good situation.
I believe this happened because of the squeaksource -> smalltalkhub move. But they should merge again.

When I take a look a the ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer that is now currently in the MetaRepoForPharo3, I don’t like that it dumped the versions for older Pharo. This is not the case with the configuration in the Seaside repository because we still support loading in Pharo1.4, for example.

Would you be willing to merge your changes into the Seaside repo?

Johan

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Agree with the merge, lets create convenience for maintainers!

After consensus formed, please announce where we can find the “official” source

Johan I’ve tested now in a fresh Pharo 3 and this:

Gofer new
package: 'ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer';
load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer) project version: #stable) load.
is loading alright

Thanks for the update!

If you want, here is another version that patches a couple of methods still using FileDirectory

cheers

KomHttpServer-sebastiansastre.71.mcz (114K) Download Attachment

[...]

I would be willing to merge my changes to a neutral repository.
Cheers,

Hernán

Johan

On 17 Feb 2014, at 07:26, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be willing to merge my changes to a neutral repository.

Oh... really?
Seaside team is 'hostile territory' ?

After forking Grease into your private repo, you did the same for Kom, messed up the metacello version history and removed all platforms but Pharo3 from the config.
And now this?
Sorry, but this is totally counterproductive. Congratulations.

Johan_______________________________________________
seaside mailing list

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

hernanmd

Hello Johan,

On 17 Feb 2014, at 07:26, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be willing to merge my changes to a neutral repository.

Oh... really?
Seaside team is 'hostile territory' ?

No, I don't think so. Nothing personal here or against Seaside.
It is just I am not part of the Seaside team. But see below.

After forking Grease into your private repo, you did the same for Kom, messed up the metacello version history and removed all platforms but Pharo3 from the config.

Kom was created as an independent project before Seaside, and it is used by Iliad too. For those reasons, I think that the right thing to do is to have it in its own separate repository and to maintain it there. Do you think is that a problem?

About Grease, I didn't knew it was forbidden to fork it in a private repository.
It is prohibited to fork Grease? What's the license of Grease?

The thing is, every time I have checked the Grease version from the Seaside repository, always had problems. That's why I have my own copy of Grease which worked for my projects for weeks before anyone noticed it existed. So as you can see it's not intended for public consumption. But as I said in a previous mail, if I find the Grease copy to work properly for me, then I will happily remove the fork. I will check later and let you know.

About the metacello config, always worked fine from the Configuration Browser, but I am willing to fix any issues so Kom is supported in more platforms.

Hernán

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

hernanmd

Hello Johan,

On 17 Feb 2014, at 07:26, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would be willing to merge my changes to a neutral repository.

Oh... really?
Seaside team is 'hostile territory' ?

No, I don't think so. Nothing personal here or against Seaside.
It is just I am not part of the Seaside team. But see below.

After forking Grease into your private repo, you did the same for Kom, messed up the metacello version history and removed all platforms but Pharo3 from the config.

Kom was created as an independent project before Seaside, and it is used by Iliad too. For those reasons, I think that the right thing to do is to have it in its own separate repository and to maintain it there. Do you think is that a problem?

About Grease, I didn't knew it was forbidden to fork it in a private repository.
It is prohibited to fork Grease? What's the license of Grease?

The thing is, every time I have checked the Grease version from the Seaside repository, always had problems. That's why I have my own copy of Grease which worked for my projects for weeks before anyone noticed it existed. So as you can see it's not intended for public consumption. But as I said in a previous mail, if I find the Grease copy to work properly for me, then I will happily remove the fork. I will check later and let you know.

I have checked yesterday and still didn't found a working Configuration for Grease in the Seaside repository for Pharo 3 (the current stable version is loading packages for Pharo 2.0). So, if license is MIT I will keep my copy until anyone can provide something better.

Cheers,

Hernán

On 22 Feb 2014, at 19:25, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have checked yesterday and still didn't found a working Configuration for Grease in the Seaside repository for Pharo 3

What is wrong with it?

> (the current stable version is loading packages for Pharo 2.0).

It's not because a package has 'Pharo20' in its name that it does not work in Pharo3.

> So, if license is MIT I will keep my copy until anyone can provide something better.

Nobody is stopping you.
Just stop promoting your version as the only one that works in Pharo 3

Johan

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

hernanmd

On 22 Feb 2014, at 19:25, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have checked yesterday and still didn't found a working Configuration for Grease in the Seaside repository for Pharo 3

What is wrong with it?

Do you actually check yourself configurations before writing to mailing list?
Because it doesn't seem so, and it only takes one minute.

In latest Pharo 3.0:

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'Grease11';
    configurationOf: 'Grease';
    loadStable.

Transcript output:

Fetched -> Grease-Core-pmm.72 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/
Fetched -> Grease-Pharo20-Core-pmm.1 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/ --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/
Loaded -> Grease-Core-pmm.72 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/ --- cache
GRPharoPlatform>>contentsOfFile:binary: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

GRPharoPlatform>>directoriesIn: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

GRPharoPlatform>>ensureExistenceOfFolder: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

GRPharoPlatform>>filesIn: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

GRPharoPlatform>>localNameOf: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

GRPharoPlatform>>write:toFile:inFolder: (FileDirectory is Undeclared)

Loaded -> Grease-Pharo20-Core-pmm.1 --- http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Seaside/Grease10/main/ --- cache
...finished 1.0.8

Same story with

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'Grease10';
    configurationOf: 'Grease';
    loadStable.

> (the current stable version is loading packages for Pharo 2.0).

It's not because a package has 'Pharo20' in its name that it does not work in Pharo3.

Again, check before posting because that's not relevant.

> So, if license is MIT I will keep my copy until anyone can provide something better.

Nobody is stopping you.
Just stop promoting your version as the only one that works in Pharo 3

If you feel like you own Grease, it would be cool that *you* can promote a working version, and not having an embarrasing situation where you complain about a fork months later after someone have patched "your" packages for you. Not only that, but I have offered my energy to merge changes together and you didn't even replied...

And BTW next time read again because I never promote my commits as "this is the only working version".

But if you think that having a bad attitude with people wanting to help, I *really* wish luck to the Seaside community, because this is not the way to go clearly.

Hernán

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

Johan Brichau-2
So, finally we know what the problem is.
Please use the following:

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';
    configurationOf: 'Grease';
    loadStable.

You could also just ask _where_ is the working configuration in the mailinglist.
You would also notice that the configuration you access has not changed in ages.

Why this repository 'MetacelloConfigurations' ?
Mostly historically, because we want a single ConfigurationOfGrease and a single ConfigurationOfSeaside3 while Grease10 and Grease11, like Seaside3.0.x and Seaside 3.1.x are hosted in separate repositories.

Johan

On 22 Feb 2014, at 20:37, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> And BTW next time read again because I never promote my commits as "this is the only working version".
>
> But if you think that having a bad attitude with people wanting to help, I *really* wish luck to the Seaside community, because this is not the way to go clearly.
>
> Hernán

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

hernanmd

So, finally we know what the problem is.
Please use the following:

Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'Seaside' project: 'MetacelloConfigurations';

Mmmh, this is an issue when searching for packages in STHub - doesn't search substrings.

Thanks. Finally I can test a stable configuration :)

Hernán

Re: ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer for Pharo 3

Johan Brichau-2
Coming back to the original question:

I (obviously) don't have a problem collaborating on a Kom project repository that is located outside of the Seaside team repository.
But I don't have the extra free cycles to try to merge the different versions right now.
I don't have an opinion on it either, except that it is necessary for any maintainer of a project referencing Kom that the original ConfigurationOfKomHttpServer versions in the metacello configuration.

Johan