ConfigurationOfOSProcessCommandShell

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Installing it blows up over a WindowColorSpec.

Re: ConfigurationOfOSProcessCommandShell

Schwab,Wilhelm K
PipeableOSProcess is broken on Linux.  It appears to be because

  FileDirectory default fileExists:'/bin/sh'

is returning false in 1.1.  Any ideas?

Bill

Installing it blows up over a WindowColorSpec.

Re: ConfigurationOfOSProcessCommandShell

Schwab,Wilhelm K

To get going again, I hacked FileDirectory>>fileExists: to answer true when passed '/bin/sh' and suddenly I can pipe again, so there has been some kind of change in testing for files.

Installing it blows up over a WindowColorSpec.

Re: ConfigurationOfOSProcessCommandShell

Henrik Sperre Johansen
  On 23.06.2010 23:13, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> To get going again, I hacked FileDirectory>>fileExists: to answer true when passed '/bin/sh' and suddenly I can pipe again, so there has been some kind of change in testing for files.

Yes, it was changed to use the open file primitive instead of iterating
over the entire directory contents, and making assumptions about
filesystem case sensitivity which may or may not be correct.
There's something funky going on with the sh link in Ubuntu 10.04...
fileExists: '/bin/dash' (what sh links to) evaluates true
I tested first with links on the desktops, worked just fine.
Created another link to a file in /bin/, worked just fine.
Created another link in /bin/, to another executable in /bin/,
fileExists still returned true.
Checked the permissions, they were the same.
Deleted sh, created a new link to dash also called sh, that evaluated to
true as well...
I'm no expert on the Unix file system, really not sure what/if there is
a wrong assumption in the modified method is...

Reason it was changed in the first place, is documented at

Henry

  On 24.06.2010 02:41, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

>  On 23.06.2010 23:13, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>> To get going again, I hacked FileDirectory>>fileExists: to answer
>> true when passed '/bin/sh' and suddenly I can pipe again, so there
>> has been some kind of change in testing for files.

Difference between the links was sh was relative (sh -> dash), while my
replacement was absolute (sh -> /bin/dash).
FilePlugin primitiveFileOpen opens the latter, but returns nil with the
first, thus fileExists fails...
I wrote a small c program simply opening sh with fopen, and that worked
as expected, so there's probably an error in the wrapping plugin code
somewhere :/

Cheers,
Henry

On Jun 24, 2010, at 3:33 07AM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> On 24.06.2010 02:41, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
>> On 23.06.2010 23:13, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>> To get going again, I hacked FileDirectory>>fileExists: to answer true when passed '/bin/sh' and suddenly I can pipe again, so there has been some kind of change in testing for files.

After some investigation, and a report to the dev list, it turned out a fix was already present in Cog :)
If you need a VM working with 1.1 urgently, the modified file (for a 2202 build) is attached to the 4th post in http://forum.world.st/Unix-VM-alias-resolving-bug-td2267360.html#a2267360 .

Cheers,
Henry

Re: ConfigurationOfOSProcessCommandShell

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Henry,

Thanks for the quick response!  My shameless hack appears to be covering for it, so I will probably just hold there.  If only my torching Seaside app were as easily tamed :(  It is very likely just a stupid mistake on my part.  My one complaint about Seaside is that doing something stupid can lead to ugly meltdowns, I suspect due to continuations.

I will ponder in the open whether this might be due to my ConnectionQueue changes, but then it would have to explain why only one app goes down in flames while others work as expected.

Bill