ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Frank Shearar-3
By "broken" I mean "it might work fine in Pharo but it doesn't in Squeak".

That's because PetitParser now uses Glamour, which pulls in a whole
host of things that probably don't work in Squeak. (I don't know, I
haven't tried, but these are all UI things, and the UI is where Pharo
and Squeak are least compatible.)

I'm being a bit rude in that I don't yet have a fix for the issue.
Ideally, a ConfigurationOf would have Pharo specific stuff and Squeak
specific stuff in separate sections, with only the shared things
(right now, not Glamour, nor its dependents) in the #'common' section.

However, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll submit a fix soon,
once Squeak 4.4 is out the door.

frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Camillo Bruni-3
just load the minimal group and you're fine. That's what we do in 2.0 as well...

On 2012-12-04, at 18:32, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By "broken" I mean "it might work fine in Pharo but it doesn't in Squeak".
>
> That's because PetitParser now uses Glamour, which pulls in a whole
> host of things that probably don't work in Squeak. (I don't know, I
> haven't tried, but these are all UI things, and the UI is where Pharo
> and Squeak are least compatible.)
>
> I'm being a bit rude in that I don't yet have a fix for the issue.
> Ideally, a ConfigurationOf would have Pharo specific stuff and Squeak
> specific stuff in separate sections, with only the shared things
> (right now, not Glamour, nor its dependents) in the #'common' section.
>
> However, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll submit a fix soon,
> once Squeak 4.4 is out the door.
>
> frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Nicolas Cellier
Oh, I see a minimal Petit... But isn't that going to be too small?
Alternatively why not a ConfigurationOfGrosParser ?

Nicolas

2012/12/4 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:

> just load the minimal group and you're fine. That's what we do in 2.0 as well...
>

> On 2012-12-04, at 18:32, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> By "broken" I mean "it might work fine in Pharo but it doesn't in Squeak".
>>
>> That's because PetitParser now uses Glamour, which pulls in a whole
>> host of things that probably don't work in Squeak. (I don't know, I
>> haven't tried, but these are all UI things, and the UI is where Pharo
>> and Squeak are least compatible.)
>>
>> I'm being a bit rude in that I don't yet have a fix for the issue.
>> Ideally, a ConfigurationOf would have Pharo specific stuff and Squeak
>> specific stuff in separate sections, with only the shared things
>> (right now, not Glamour, nor its dependents) in the #'common' section.
>>
>> However, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll submit a fix soon,
>> once Squeak 4.4 is out the door.
>>
>> frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Camillo Bruni-3
hard to guess if I don't know the project :P
for me it worked you have all the parsing capabilities minus the debug UIs

On 2012-12-04, at 18:51, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh, I see a minimal Petit... But isn't that going to be too small?
> Alternatively why not a ConfigurationOfGrosParser ?
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2012/12/4 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:
>> just load the minimal group and you're fine. That's what we do in 2.0 as well...
>>

>> On 2012-12-04, at 18:32, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> By "broken" I mean "it might work fine in Pharo but it doesn't in Squeak".
>>>
>>> That's because PetitParser now uses Glamour, which pulls in a whole
>>> host of things that probably don't work in Squeak. (I don't know, I
>>> haven't tried, but these are all UI things, and the UI is where Pharo
>>> and Squeak are least compatible.)
>>>
>>> I'm being a bit rude in that I don't yet have a fix for the issue.
>>> Ideally, a ConfigurationOf would have Pharo specific stuff and Squeak
>>> specific stuff in separate sections, with only the shared things
>>> (right now, not Glamour, nor its dependents) in the #'common' section.
>>>
>>> However, if someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll submit a fix soon,
>>> once Squeak 4.4 is out the door.
>>>
>>> frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Frank Shearar-3
Thanks Camillo, that's done the trick.

I've found _another_ problems with the configuration, but that I can
fix. (The configuration only works if you have a network connection.)
I'll hopefully post a fix in the very near future.

frank

On 4 December 2012 21:54, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hard to guess if I don't know the project :P
> for me it worked you have all the parsing capabilities minus the debug UIs
>
> On 2012-12-04, at 18:51, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Oh, I see a minimal Petit... But isn't that going to be too small?
>> Alternatively why not a ConfigurationOfGrosParser ?
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> 2012/12/4 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:
>>> just load the minimal group and you're fine. That's what we do in 2.0 as well...

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Frank Shearar-3
The attached bootstraps Metacello and Gofer if they're not already
present. (They're not, in Squeak.)

Offline loading - loading without a network connection - doesn't quite
work yet; I couldn't chase down the nil. But with a network connection
it works just fine.

frank

ConfigurationOfPetitParser-fbs.27.mcz (9K) Download Attachment

On 5 December 2012 22:33, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The attached bootstraps Metacello and Gofer if they're not already
> present. (They're not, in Squeak.)
>
> Offline loading - loading without a network connection - doesn't quite
> work yet; I couldn't chase down the nil. But with a network connection
> it works just fine.

Even though I haven't nailed the offline loading, given that this
configuration fixes the described issue and works when you _do_ have
an internet connection, who should I talk to about getting this merged
in?

frank

On 17 January 2013 09:53, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 December 2012 22:33, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> The attached bootstraps Metacello and Gofer if they're not already
>> present. (They're not, in Squeak.)
>>
>> Offline loading - loading without a network connection - doesn't quite
>> work yet; I couldn't chase down the nil. But with a network connection
>> it works just fine.
>
> Even though I haven't nailed the offline loading, given that this
> configuration fixes the described issue and works when you _do_ have
> an internet connection, who should I talk to about getting this merged
> in?

*ping* Who's responsible for the PetitParser repository? Does Lukas
still hang out here, or should I just mail him directly?

> frank
>
>> frank
>>
>> On 4 December 2012 22:19, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Camillo, that's done the trick.
>>>
>>> I've found _another_ problems with the configuration, but that I can
>>> fix. (The configuration only works if you have a network connection.)
>>> I'll hopefully post a fix in the very near future.
>>>
>>> frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Frank Shearar-3 wrote
Even though I haven't nailed the offline loading, given that this
configuration fixes the described issue and works when you _do_ have
an internet connection, who should I talk to about getting this merged
in?
This sounds like a more general Metacello issue, no? I remember Dale and I did some work on this last year... maybe mention the problem you're having on the Metacello list... may be fixed already, or be a valuable addition to MetaC...
Cheers,
Sean

On 9 February 2013 13:38, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>> Even though I haven't nailed the offline loading, given that this
>> configuration fixes the described issue and works when you _do_ have
>> an internet connection, who should I talk to about getting this merged
>> in?
>
> This sounds like a more general Metacello issue, no? I remember Dale and I
> did some work on this last year... maybe mention the problem you're having
> on the Metacello list... may be fixed already, or be a valuable addition to
> MetaC...

It is, in the sense that (last time I checked at least), Metacello
doesn't separate the defining of the structure of something and
locating that thing.

If I may use Maven or Leiningen as an example, a pom.xml or
project.clj file only defines the logical structure of something. You
don't ever say "and this is where you get this" except in profiles,
which are independent of the project specification.

But in the sense of "PetitParser's ConfigurationOf's #common stanza is
a bit broken", it's not a Metacello issue, but an absent owner issue.
When I've sent Lukas fixes before he's told me quite clearly that I
should be sending them to the Pharo list, but... who's going to
actually review/apply/reject this fix?

frank

Re: ConfigurationOfPetitParser has broken #'common' section

stephane ducasse

On Feb 9, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 February 2013 13:38, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Frank Shearar-3 wrote
>>> Even though I haven't nailed the offline loading, given that this
>>> configuration fixes the described issue and works when you _do_ have
>>> an internet connection, who should I talk to about getting this merged
>>> in?
>>
>> This sounds like a more general Metacello issue, no? I remember Dale and I
>> did some work on this last year... maybe mention the problem you're having
>> on the Metacello list... may be fixed already, or be a valuable addition to
>> MetaC...
>
> It is, in the sense that (last time I checked at least), Metacello
> doesn't separate the defining of the structure of something and
> locating that thing.
>
> If I may use Maven or Leiningen as an example, a pom.xml or
> project.clj file only defines the logical structure of something. You
> don't ever say "and this is where you get this" except in profiles,
> which are independent of the project specification.
>
> But in the sense of "PetitParser's ConfigurationOf's #common stanza is
> a bit broken", it's not a Metacello issue, but an absent owner issue.
> When I've sent Lukas fixes before he's told me quite clearly that I
> should be sending them to the Pharo list, but... who's going to
> actually review/apply/reject this fix?

The moose people
We are migrating Moose and the projects it depends on to smalltalkHub.