ConfigurationOfPharo

Torsten Bergmann
Hi Mariano,

now he complains about "OmniBrowser-DamineCassou.462"
  (which comes from 1.0 of ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer
   which loads 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser
   which loads OmniBrowser-DamienCassou.462)

Looks like this conflicts with "OmniBrowser-lr.469"
which is noted in version 1.1.3 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser

Looks like a conflict:
You now use 1.1.3 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser, but the
ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer that you use in
ConfigurationOfPharo still points to 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser.

Lesson learned: take care when you edit configs since you may break other
peoples code.

So I would not call this a reproducable Pharo 1.0 Release ;)

Just try in a clean 1.0 core image:

--------------------------
Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetaSource';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMetaSource';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetaSource) project version: '1.0-alpha1') load

Re: ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

now he complains about "OmniBrowser-DamineCassou.462"
 (which comes from 1.0 of ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer
  which loads 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser
  which loads OmniBrowser-DamienCassou.462)

Looks like this conflicts with "OmniBrowser-lr.469"
which is noted in version 1.1.3 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser

Looks like a conflict:
You now use 1.1.3 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser, but the
ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer that you use in
ConfigurationOfPharo still points to 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser.

Yes, but it doesn't matter. In such situation (conflict), Metacello will load the latest version, in this case, 1.1.3.
I cannot mantain all configurations. If you think ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer should have 1.1.3 instead of 1.0, just do it.

Lesson learned: take care when you edit configs since you may break other
peoples code.

I do take care, but I cannot test all configurations. Even more, when they are not stable releases.
In addition, I didn't break anything:

OmniBrowser-DamienCassou.462

existed at the point I did the configuration. Now, if I browse the repository http://source.wiresong.ca/ob
I don't see it. So, maybe Colin removed that version and put Lukas ones and that's why it is failing.
Colin, do you know if this was what happened ?

So I would not call this a reproducable Pharo 1.0 Release ;)

I don't understand. Pharo 1.0 is completly reproducable. I take a PharoCore 1.0 I avaluate:

Gofer new
    squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
    package: 'ConfigurationOfPharo';
    load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharo) project version: '1.0-10517') perform: #silently: with: true; perform: #load.

And I have the PharoDev 1.0 stable release in perfect state and without any problem.

Cheers

Mariano

Just try in a clean 1.0 core image:

--------------------------
Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetaSource';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMetaSource';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetaSource) project version: '1.0-alpha1') load

Re: ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Torsten: I saw you changed version 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser to change the version of OmniBrowser package.
However, I don't think this is a good thing. When a version is released, it should be "modifieded". For any reason.

The good behavior, from my point of view, in this case is to put bless the 1.0 version as broken and create a new version 1.0.1 with such change/fix

What do you think ?

Cheers

Mariano

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You mean "it should not be modified". I know, but one should
also not delete *.mcz's from a repository ;)

I was just pragmatic due to lack of time and it should
be no problem since it works for now.

Bye
T.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Torsten: I saw you changed version 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser to
> change the version of OmniBrowser package.
> However, I don't think this is a good thing. When a version is released,
> it
> should be "modifieded". For any reason.
>
> The good behavior, from my point of view, in this case is to put bless the
> 1.0 version as broken and create a new version 1.0.1 with such change/fix
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: ConfigurationOfPharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
You mean "it should not be modified".

Yes, sorry. I meant should NOT.

I know, but one should
also not delete *.mcz's from a repository ;)

I know. But that's now your fault, neither mine.

I was just pragmatic due to lack of time and it should
be no problem since it works for now.

But just if it works, it doesn't mean it is correct. The idea is that when you release a version, it has to be reproducable. If it is not, then mark it as broken.
Now, people may get confused, as depending when they loaded 1.0 they have different versions of OB. This different versions may include or solve different bugs...and that's difficult to track.

If you agree, I can do what I offered: bless 1.0 as broken a create a 1.0.1 with the working versions.

Let me know,

Mariano

Bye
T.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Torsten: I saw you changed version 1.0 of ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser to
> change the version of OmniBrowser package.
> However, I don't think this is a good thing. When a version is released,
> it
> should be "modifieded". For any reason.
>
> The good behavior, from my point of view, in this case is to put bless the
> 1.0 version as broken and create a new version 1.0.1 with such change/fix
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano

Re: ConfigurationOfPharo

Torsten Bergmann
The best solution would be to bring back Damiens version
that was deleted so the repos is like it was before without any
compatibility problem (maybe someone has it in it's package cache).

We should also remind people not to delete mcz's.

Bye
T.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:44:01 +0200
> Von: Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck_gmail.com>
> An: Torsten Bergmann <astares_gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: [Pharo-project] ConfigurationOfPharo

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Torsten Bergmann <astares_gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > > Done. Check the repo. Can you change MetaSource to use 1.0.1 instead
> and
> > > let
> > > me know if it works?
> > >

> > If you look at ConfigurationOfMetaSource in squeaksource/MetaSource
> > you will see that I dont use it directly. It come in through transitive
> > dependencies:
> >
> >  - I use ConfigurationOfPharo (1.0-10517) which uses
> >  - ConfigurationOfAutomaticMethodCategorizer (version 1.1) which uses
> >    - 'OB-Standard' with: '1.1'.
> >
> > If I want to make it work again we have to do new version for all
> > of them!?
> >
> > Maybe you now know why I used the workaround ...
> >

> Uffff yes. Now I see. :(
> I don't see a clear solution here. Yours  is easy and work, but I don't
> like
> the idea of changing a released version. Anyway, maybe we should rollback
> your solution?
> I hate we don't have an easy and clear solution :(
> sorry for all the noise. I guess we are all trying to understand how to
> manage software with metacello agains different situations.
>
> cheers
>
> mariano
>

> > Bye
> > T.
> > --
> > GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
> > Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

Re: ConfigurationOfPharo

Dale
I found the missing mcz in one of my package-caches and I have copied the file to:

  http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/obsolete/OmniBrowser-DamienCassou.462.mcz

Which is probably the best home for it...

Dale