ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I noticed the versions vary between x.x.x and x.x-x and that some of the versions import baselines and others import other versions. I've never seen it done like that... what's the intention?

e.g.
"Baseline with dot imported by version with dash"
version145: spec
        <version: '1.4-5' imports: #('1.4.1-baseline')>

"version importing another version"
version143: spec
        <version: '1.4-3' imports: #('1.4-2')>

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

EstebanLM
PharoVM configuration names are following this rule:

pharoversion-buildversion

so, 2.0-1 is the first build made for pharo 2.0...

something like that. Yeah, I don't like the numbering, but I also don't like the M.m (Major.minor) standard, because we don't know what is major and what minor... so, right now is just 1.9 then 2.0 without actually having a major change.. and it is confusing, because it looks like important, but actually it does not means anything at all :)

Esteban

On Jul 7, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I noticed the versions vary between x.x.x and x.x-x and that some of the
> versions import baselines and others import other versions. I've never seen
> it done like that... what's the intention?
>
> e.g.
> "Baseline with dot imported by version with dash"
> version145: spec
> <version: '1.4-5' imports: #('1.4.1-baseline')>
>
> "version importing another version"
> version143: spec
> <version: '1.4-3' imports: #('1.4-2')>
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed the versions vary between x.x.x and x.x-x and that some of the
versions import baselines and others import other versions. I've never seen
it done like that... what's the intention?

Usually, a version imports a baseline. However, imagine that you have several packages/projects and between version X and Y only changed a few packages.
Instead of having to re-put all versions of all packages in Y, you make Y import X and you just change the ones you want.

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Mariano Martinez Peck
btw Sean, did you know that in Metacello internals baselines and versions are (were?) the same thing?  ;)

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
PharoVM configuration names are following this rule:

pharoversion-buildversion

so, 2.0-1 is the first build made for pharo 2.0...

something like that. Yeah, I don't like the numbering, but I also don't like the M.m (Major.minor) standard, because we don't know what is major and what minor... so, right now is just 1.9 then 2.0 without actually having a major change.. and it is confusing, because it looks like important, but actually it does not means anything at all :)

Esteban

On Jul 7, 2012, at 9:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I noticed the versions vary between x.x.x and x.x-x and that some of the
> versions import baselines and others import other versions. I've never seen
> it done like that... what's the intention?
>
> e.g.
> "Baseline with dot imported by version with dash"
> version145: spec
>       <version: '1.4-5' imports: #('1.4.1-baseline')>
>
> "version importing another version"
> version143: spec
>       <version: '1.4-3' imports: #('1.4-2')>
>
> Cheers,
> Sean

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Usually, a version imports a baseline. However... you make Y
import X and you just change the ones you want.
Oh, cool! I didn't know you could do that. Thanks :) That will simplify things...

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
btw Sean, did you know that in Metacello internals baselines and versions are (were?) the same thing?  ;)
I suspected, but wasn't sure.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Dale Henrichs
Keep in mind the fact that if you chain baselines or versions in this way, it is very difficult for humans to understand just what they are getting.

It also makes it harder for tools to do the right thing as well ...

So I recommend against chaining...

Dale

| On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <
| [hidden email] > wrote:
|

| I noticed the versions vary between x.x.x and x.x-x and that some of
| the
| versions import baselines and others import other versions. I've
| never seen
| it done like that... what's the intention?
|

| Usually, a version imports a baseline. However, imagine that you have
| several packages/projects and between version X and Y only changed a
| few packages.
| Instead of having to re-put all versions of all packages in Y, you
| make Y import X and you just change the ones you want.
|

| e.g.
| "Baseline with dot imported by version with dash"
| version145: spec
| <version: '1.4-5' imports: #('1.4.1-baseline')>
|
| "version importing another version"
| version143: spec
| <version: '1.4-3' imports: #('1.4-2')>
|
| Cheers,
| Sean
|
| --
|

| --
| Mariano
| http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
So I recommend against chaining...
Does chaining mean importing a version into another version, or the x.x-x thing?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: ConfigurationOfPharoVM

Dale Henrichs
Stef,

Good question.

An import of a baseline from a version is recommended. A baseline should have no imports.

So chaining involves importing a baseline from another baseline or a version fron another version.

I admit that I am guilty of chaining and there are probably examples of chaining in the early versions of Metacello, but I found over time that when I wanted to restructure a project that had been chained I spent a fair amount of time "collapsing the chain" ... it gets even more difficult when you try to "collapse the chain" in someone else's project:)

Dale