ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2

Nick
Hi,

I'm trying to load the Pier 2 addons and I've noticed that some of the packages aren't being loaded into my image. I first noticed this with Gemstone, then verified the same behaviour in a fresh Pharo1.1 image.

In Pharo I load the configuration with:

(ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project lastestVersion) load

and in Gemstone with:

Gofer project load: 'PierAddOns2'.

Examining what packages I think ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 should load:
ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion packages select: [:packageSpec | packageSpec name beginsWith: 'Pier'] thenCollect: [:packageSpec | packageSpec name]

an OrderedCollection('Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-Design' 'Pier-Documents' 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Google' 'Pier-JQuery' 'Pier-LinkChecker' 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-TagCloud' 'Pier-Twitter'

Then looking at what packages have loaded:

PackageInfo allPackages select: [:packageInfo | packageInfo packageName beginsWith: 'Pier'] thenCollect: [:packageInfo | packageInfo packageName]

#('Pier-Pharo-Model' 'Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Pharo-Seaside' 'Pier-Google' 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-Model' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Seaside' 'Pier-LinkChecker' 'Pier-Security' 'Pier-Pharo-Persistency' 'Pier-Documents')

It looks as though the following haven't loaded:

'Pier-JQuery'
'Pier-TagCloud'
'Pier-Twitter'

Am I missing something?

Nick

Re: ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2

Dale Henrichs
Nick,

I changed the ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 to only load the minimal 'Core'
set of packages ... which turned out to be alot (getting Pier-Setup in
the Core group caused almost all of the packages to come in).

If you want to load everything use the following expression:

   (ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project lastestVersion) load: 'ALL'

Dale

Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to load the Pier 2 addons and I've noticed that some of the
> packages aren't being loaded into my image. I first noticed this with
> Gemstone, then verified the same behaviour in a fresh Pharo1.1 image.
>
> In Pharo I load the configuration with:
>
> (ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project lastestVersion) load
>
> and in Gemstone with:
>
> Gofer project load: 'PierAddOns2'.
>
> Examining what packages I think ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 should load:
> ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion packages select:
> [:packageSpec | packageSpec name beginsWith: 'Pier'] thenCollect:
> [:packageSpec | packageSpec name]
>
> an OrderedCollection('Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-Design'
> 'Pier-Documents' 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Google' 'Pier-JQuery'
> 'Pier-LinkChecker' 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-TagCloud' 'Pier-Twitter'
>

> Then looking at what packages have loaded:
>
> PackageInfo allPackages select: [:packageInfo | packageInfo packageName
> beginsWith: 'Pier'] thenCollect: [:packageInfo | packageInfo packageName]
>
> #('Pier-Pharo-Model' 'Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Pharo-Seaside' 'Pier-Google'
> 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-Model' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Seaside'
> 'Pier-LinkChecker' 'Pier-Security' 'Pier-Pharo-Persistency'
> 'Pier-Documents')
>
> It looks as though the following haven't loaded:
>
> 'Pier-JQuery'
> 'Pier-TagCloud'
> 'Pier-Twitter'
>

> Am I missing something?
>
> Nick

Re: ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2

Nick
Hi Dale,

I changed the ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 to only load the minimal 'Core' set of packages ... which turned out to be alot (getting Pier-Setup in the Core group caused almost all of the packages to come in).

is there an easy way to query a Metacello configuration and find out what groups are present and what packages those groups will load? I studied ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 but must have missed the grouping specification - at least to me it wasn't obvious.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
>     I changed the ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 to only load the minimal
>     'Core' set of packages ... which turned out to be alot (getting
>     Pier-Setup in the Core group caused almost all of the packages to
>     come in).
>

> is there an easy way to query a Metacello configuration and find out
> what groups are present and what packages those groups will load? I
> studied ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 but must have missed the grouping
> specification - at least to me it wasn't obvious.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nick

The following expression gives you a list of groups defined.

   ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion groups

If a group named 'default' exists then that will be loaded by default.
If no 'default' group exists then all pacakges/projects are loaded...

Dale

Re: ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2

Nick
Hi Dale,

I'm now loading the addons I require by listing them explicitly:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2) project latestVersion load: #('Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-Design' 'Pier-Documents' 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Google' 'Pier-JQuery' 'Pier-LinkChecker' 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-TagCloud').

The following expression gives you a list of groups defined.

 ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion groups

On my setup that gives:

anOrderedCollection( spec
name: 'default';
includes: #('Pier-Setup' ).)

Although it's no longer causing a problem for me, I'm still a little mystified as to why "ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project lastestVersion) load " doesn't bring in - 'Pier-JQuery', 'Pier-TagCloud', 'Pier-Twitter' - especially as there only appears to be one group defined.

Thanks again

Nick

Nick Ager wrote:
> Hi Dale,
>
> I'm now loading the addons I require by listing them explicitly:
>
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2) project latestVersion load:
> #('Pier-Blog' 'Pier-Book' 'Pier-Design' 'Pier-Documents'
> 'Pier-EditorEnh' 'Pier-Google' 'Pier-JQuery' 'Pier-LinkChecker'
> 'Pier-Setup' 'Pier-TagCloud').

For the addons, this is what I expect you to do ...list the addons that
you are interested and you'll get want you want plus what is required...

>     The following expression gives you a list of groups defined.
>
>      ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion groups
>

> On my setup that gives:
>
> anOrderedCollection( spec
> name: 'default';
> includes: #('Pier-Setup' ).)

That is correct. Pier-Setup is the only package that I thought should be
loaded by default ... it is very convenient to have ... Pier-Setup
requires just about every other addon except for the one's you mentioned
not being brought in:)

They don't come in because Pier-Setup doesn't have a dependency on them ...

Re: ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2

Nick
Hi Dale

    ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion groups

On my setup that gives:

anOrderedCollection( spec name: 'default';
includes: #('Pier-Setup' ).)

That is correct. Pier-Setup is the only package that I thought should be loaded by default ... it is very convenient to have ... Pier-Setup requires just about every other addon except for the one's you mentioned not being brought in:)

Finally I understand - thanks for patiently answering my dumb questions

Nick

Nick Ager wrote:

> Hi Dale
>

>             ConfigurationOfPierAddOns2 project latestVersion groups
>

>         On my setup that gives:
>
>         anOrderedCollection( spec name: 'default';
>         includes: #('Pier-Setup' ).)
>

>     That is correct. Pier-Setup is the only package that I thought
>     should be loaded by default ... it is very convenient to have ...
>     Pier-Setup requires just about every other addon except for the
>     one's you mentioned not being brought in:)
>

> Finally I understand - thanks for patiently answering my dumb questions
>
> Nick

No problem ... there are no dumb questions!

Dale