ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

12

Re: ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

Juan-2
DAle

i'm revert changes to SIXX and now is working.
The dependency for GRPlatform  is for get the cr character! . ok now  simple things works
more complex, fail into low memory problem . i think is know problem of sixx.
any ideas?

best
mdc

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Juan,

The version of SIXX that works with GLASS.230-dkh.231 is already installed...before Metacello I was loading everything that was known to work together ...

Dale

Re: ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

Juan-2
Dale

fix  SIXX  changed:
 aStream nextPutAll: GRPlatform current newline.

for:
    aStream cr.

all test of SIXX green, without dependencies of  GRPlatform .
May be the newLine character need to be moved to another class.
best
mdc

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:51 PM, Juan <[hidden email]> wrote:
DAle

i'm revert changes to SIXX and now is working.
The dependency for GRPlatform  is for get the cr character! . ok now  simple things works
more complex, fail into low memory problem . i think is know problem of sixx.
any ideas?

best
mdc

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Juan,

The version of SIXX that works with GLASS.230-dkh.231 is already installed...before Metacello I was loading everything that was known to work together ...

Dale

| On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
| wrote:
|

| Okay ... apparently you loaded in a newer version of SIXX (that is
| incompatible)... Grease (where GRPlatform is coming from) wasn't
| part of GLASS.230-dkh.231...
|
| Ok
|

| This is the major reason that I invented Metacello ... there was too
| much magic involved in getting the right packages loaded with the
| right supporting versions of packages ...
|
| What version of SIXX work with GLASS.230-dkh.231 ?
| Or need some ConfigruationOfXXXX package?
| best
| mdc
|

| Dale

| |
| | Dale
| |
| |
| |
| | On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| | >
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| | Juan,
| |
| | What version of GLASS are you currently at?
| |
| |
| | I my old appliance
| | Name: GLASS.230-dkh.231
| | Author: dkh
| | Time: 05/12/09, 16:51:20
| | UUID: 1884ac6c-c087-4575-825f-ce89599a8667
| | Ancestors: GLASS.230-dkh.230
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | I assume that you are working with a version that came with the old
| | appliance (so the configuration won't help as GLASS would need to
| | be
| | upgraded first to use the configuration). The version of SIXX that
| | you are using is probably newer than works in that version of
| | GLASS.
| | It looks like you should be using at least GLASS.230-dkh.177[1].
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | You should be able to use the Update GLASS menu item to update to
| | GLASS.230-dkh.177 and the version of SIXX that is compatible with
| | that version of GLASS will be loaded. You should look at the post
| | for managing out of memory situations[2] that was written around
| | that time since SIXX was subject to stack overflow and
| | out-of-memory
| | conditions... Ken Treis has a has a good post[3] on SIXX going it
| | was written about 6 months after GLASS.230-dkh.177 was released ...
| | pay special attention to what he says about the SIXX script[4].
| |
| |
| | SIXX fail basic things.
| | 'hello' sixxString -->fail
| |
| | writeSixxTagOn: aStream id: idStr name: nameString indent: level
| | context: dictionary
| | | constants formatter |
| | level timesRepeat: [ aStream nextPut: Character tab ].
| | constants := SixxConstants current.
| | formatter := dictionary formatterResolver
| | formatterAt: self class
| | in: self sixxEnv.
| | SixxXmlUtil
| | writeTagNamed: constants objectTagName
| | attributesDo: [:wStr |
| | self writeSixxAttributeOn: wStr id: idStr.
| | self writeBasicSixxAttributesOn: wStr name: nameString.
| | self writeSixxAttributeOn: wStr formatter: formatter]
| | contentDo: [:wStr | formatter isNil
| | ifTrue: [self
| | sixxContentOn: wStr
| | indent: level
| | context: dictionary]
| | ifFalse: [formatter
| | format: self
| | on: wStr
| | indent: level
| | context: dictionary]]
| | on: aStream.
| | aStream nextPutAll: GRPlatform current newline *
| |
| | * GRPlatformis is nil .
| | may be need to loasd some package i don't now .
| | best
| | mdc
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Ken's post came in the GLASS.230-dkh.231 timeframe, so you might
| | need
| | to upgrade to GLASS.230-dkh.231 for Ken's code to work.
| |
| | Dale
| |
| | [1]
| | http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/glass-beta-update-a-perfect-storm-glass230-dkh177/
| | [2]
| | http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/gemstone-101-managing-out-of-memory-situations/
| | [3]
| | http://kentreis.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/deep-sixx-with-xml-pull-parser/
| | [4] http://kdt.s3.amazonaws.com/Blog/2009-05-29/sixx.gs
| |
| |

| |
| |
| |
| | | Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 11:48:29 AM
| | | Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project
| | | latestVersion load fail!!
| | |
| | | Hi all . Dale
| | |
| | |
| | | Dale i'm try with sixx export. my first attempts fail.
| | | I think some package is missing
| | | the error is in method: Object implement that.
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | sixxInstVarsOn: aStream indent: level context: dictionary
| | | | instVars ind |
| | | aStream nextPutAll: GRPlatform current newline.
| | | instVars := self class allInstVarNames.
| | | ind := 0.
| | | instVars
| | |
| | | GRPlatform class is nil, i think missing in my image, what
| | | packages
| | | i need to load?
| | |
| | | best
| | | mdc
| | |
| | | pd: sixx test has tons of fails..
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | |
| | |
| | | Juan,
| | |
| | | You have two routes to go to preserve your data:
| | |
| | | 1. Upgrade your appliance extent to 2.4.
| | | 2. Export/import your data.
| | |
| | | The upgrade route is the first route I would suggest. The upgrade
| | | process is documented in the 2.x Install Guide[1]. You already
| | | have
| | | 2.4.4.1 installed on Linux, so you can start the upgrade process
| | | by
| | | following the steps in Chapter 2. Be aware that there are special
| | | instructions if you are upgrading a Seaside extent ... At the end
| | | of
| | | the upgrade process you will running in pretty much the same
| | | environment that you started ... A number of things changed since
| | | the appliance was released bu most if not all of the changes
| | | should
| | | be covered by the upgrade process.
| | |
| | | When you have completed step 4 (the Seaside specific step). make
| | | backup copy of the extent (file-based copy after shutting down
| | | the
| | | stone or by using the GemTools backup menu item). Run your tests
| | | verify that your system is in working order ... if issues appear
| | | at
| | | this point in time (or during the upgrade) let me know.
| | |
| | | Once you've gotten to this point you can consider upgrading to
| | | the
| | | latest GLASS version and the latest Seaside28 version. This is
| | | the
| | | point where you want to use the Upgrade GLASS menu item to
| | | upgrade
| | | just the GLASS support code (not Seaside2.8) when the upgrade
| | | completes you will want to make a backup and run tests before
| | | proceeding with the Seaside28 upgrade ...
| | |
| | | Finally the most recent GemTools image can be used to connect to
| | | your
| | | old Appliance as well as the latest GLASS version. Not all of the
| | | menu items are functional, but all of the important tools do
| | | work.
| | |
| | | It's important that we do backups and tests at the end of each
| | | step
| | | so that we can make sure that we are not trying to solve a
| | | problem
| | | that was introduced in an earlier step.
| | |
| | | If you don't have a lot of data, or you feel that your data can
| | | be
| | | easily exported/imported (via SIXX or just dumping your data in a
| | | custom format), then you might consider bypassing the upgrade
| | | step
| | | and just export your data from the appliance and them import it
| | | into
| | | your fresh Seaside28 image. Don't forget that you'll have to dump
| | | out your application code (business model and custom Seaside
| | | components) from the appliance and load it into 2.4.4.1 (and run
| | | tests) before attempting to import your data.
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | | [1]
| | | http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/5308874/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf?version=1
| | |
| | |

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |

| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | metacelloVersion |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Re: ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

Dale Henrichs
very good ..

To manage the out of memory issues take a look at these posts:

[2] http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/gemstone-101-managing-out-of-memory-situations/
[3] http://kentreis.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/deep-sixx-with-xml-pull-parser/
[4] http://kdt.s3.amazonaws.com/Blog/2009-05-29/sixx.gs

Dale

| i'm revert changes to SIXX and now is working.
| The dependency for GRPlatform is for get the cr character! . ok now
| simple things works
| more complex, fail into low memory problem . i think is know problem
| of sixx.
| any ideas?
|
| best
| mdc
|

| On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email] >
| wrote:
|

| Juan,
|
| The version of SIXX that works with GLASS.230-dkh.231 is already
| installed...before Metacello I was loading everything that was known
| to work together ...
|

| Dale

| |
| | Dale
| |
| |
| | On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| | >
| | wrote:
| |
| |
| | Okay ... apparently you loaded in a newer version of SIXX (that is
| | incompatible)... Grease (where GRPlatform is coming from) wasn't
| | part of GLASS.230-dkh.231...
| |
| | Ok
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | This is the major reason that I invented Metacello ... there was
| | too
| | much magic involved in getting the right packages loaded with the
| | right supporting versions of packages ...
| |
| | What version of SIXX work with GLASS.230-dkh.231 ?
| | Or need some ConfigruationOfXXXX package?
| | best
| | mdc
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Dale
| |

| |
| |
| |
| | | Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 2:10:17 PM
| | | Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project
| | | latestVersion load fail!!
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | | >
| | | wrote:
| | |
| | |
| | | Juan,
| | |
| | | What version of GLASS are you currently at?
| | |
| | |
| | | I my old appliance
| | | Name: GLASS.230-dkh.231
| | | Author: dkh
| | | Time: 05/12/09, 16:51:20
| | | UUID: 1884ac6c-c087-4575-825f-ce89599a8667
| | | Ancestors: GLASS.230-dkh.230
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | I assume that you are working with a version that came with the
| | | old
| | | appliance (so the configuration won't help as GLASS would need to
| | | be
| | | upgraded first to use the configuration). The version of SIXX
| | | that
| | | you are using is probably newer than works in that version of
| | | GLASS.
| | | It looks like you should be using at least GLASS.230-dkh.177[1].
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | You should be able to use the Update GLASS menu item to update to
| | | GLASS.230-dkh.177 and the version of SIXX that is compatible with
| | | that version of GLASS will be loaded. You should look at the post
| | | for managing out of memory situations[2] that was written around
| | | that time since SIXX was subject to stack overflow and
| | | out-of-memory
| | | conditions... Ken Treis has a has a good post[3] on SIXX going it
| | | was written about 6 months after GLASS.230-dkh.177 was released
| | | pay special attention to what he says about the SIXX script[4].
| | |
| | |
| | | SIXX fail basic things.
| | | 'hello' sixxString -->fail
| | |
| | | writeSixxTagOn: aStream id: idStr name: nameString indent: level
| | | context: dictionary
| | | | constants formatter |
| | | level timesRepeat: [ aStream nextPut: Character tab ].
| | | constants := SixxConstants current.
| | | formatter := dictionary formatterResolver
| | | formatterAt: self class
| | | in: self sixxEnv.
| | | SixxXmlUtil
| | | writeTagNamed: constants objectTagName
| | | attributesDo: [:wStr |
| | | self writeSixxAttributeOn: wStr id: idStr.
| | | self writeBasicSixxAttributesOn: wStr name: nameString.
| | | self writeSixxAttributeOn: wStr formatter: formatter]
| | | contentDo: [:wStr | formatter isNil
| | | ifTrue: [self
| | | sixxContentOn: wStr
| | | indent: level
| | | context: dictionary]
| | | ifFalse: [formatter
| | | format: self
| | | on: wStr
| | | indent: level
| | | context: dictionary]]
| | | on: aStream.
| | | aStream nextPutAll: GRPlatform current newline *
| | |
| | | * GRPlatformis is nil .
| | | may be need to loasd some package i don't now .
| | | best
| | | mdc
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Ken's post came in the GLASS.230-dkh.231 timeframe, so you might
| | | need
| | | to upgrade to GLASS.230-dkh.231 for Ken's code to work.
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | | [1]
| | | http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/glass-beta-update-a-perfect-storm-glass230-dkh177/
| | | [2]
| | | http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2008/11/19/gemstone-101-managing-out-of-memory-situations/
| | | [3]
| | | http://kentreis.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/deep-sixx-with-xml-pull-parser/
| | | [4] http://kdt.s3.amazonaws.com/Blog/2009-05-29/sixx.gs
| | |
| | |

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |

| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |

| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |

| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |

| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | metacelloVersion |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Re: ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

Juan-2
Dale

 I'm try to "1. Upgrade your appliance extent to 2.4."
but gemtools say "Glass is up to day " , remember i'm into old appliance
there other way to update old appliance to 2.4 ?
best
mdc

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Juan,

You have two routes to go to preserve your data:

 1. Upgrade your appliance extent to 2.4.
 2. Export/import your data.

The upgrade route is the first route I would suggest. The upgrade process is documented in the 2.x Install Guide[1]. You already have 2.4.4.1 installed on Linux, so you can start the upgrade process by following the steps in Chapter 2. Be aware that there are special instructions if you are upgrading a Seaside extent ... At the end of the upgrade process you will running in pretty much the same environment that you started ... A number of things changed since the appliance was released bu most if not all of the changes should be covered by the upgrade process.

When you have completed step 4 (the Seaside specific step). make a backup copy of the extent (file-based copy after shutting down the stone or by using the GemTools backup menu item). Run your tests to verify that your system is in working order ... if issues appear at this point in time (or during the upgrade) let me know.

Once you've gotten to this point you can consider upgrading to the latest GLASS version and the latest Seaside28 version. This is the point where you want to use the Upgrade GLASS menu item to upgrade just the GLASS support code (not Seaside2.8) when the upgrade completes you will want to make a backup and run tests before proceeding with the Seaside28 upgrade ...

Finally the most recent GemTools image can be used to connect to your old Appliance as well as the latest GLASS version. Not all of the menu items are functional, but all of the important tools do work.

It's important that we do backups and tests at the end of each step so that we can make sure that we are not trying to solve a problem that was introduced in an earlier step.

If you don't have a lot of data, or you feel that your data can be easily exported/imported (via SIXX or just dumping your data in a custom format), then you might consider bypassing the upgrade step and just export your data from the appliance and them import it into your fresh Seaside28 image. Don't forget that you'll have to dump out your application code (business model and custom Seaside components) from the appliance and load it into 2.4.4.1 (and run tests) before attempting to import your data.

Dale

[1] http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/5308874/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf?version=1

| i have installed and running the first appliance (1.0 i guess) , in
| this appliance i have one application running,now i'm migrating to
| 2.4.4.4 gemstone/glass.
| Before i make backup on first appliance y restore on "new" (2.4.4.4)
| glass, but don't work
| restore process seems to be overrides some core classes i guess .
| that is the question how restore my backup on "new" glass.
| best
| mdc
|

| On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| What do you have in your "old appliance" that you need to restore?
|

| Dale

| |
| | Dale
| |
| | i do, and work ok thanks ,Now how do I restore of my old appliance
| | image ??
| | best
| | mdc
| |
| |
| |
| | On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | [hidden email]
| | > wrote:
| |
| |
| | Juan,
| |
| | If you start with the extent0.seaside.dbf, you should be able to
| | use
| | GemTools (which I assume has been updated to 1.0-beta.8.4 already)
| | to login and then the only thing that you need to do is:
| |
| | 1) Update GLASS to 1.0-beta.8.6 (using the Update GLASS menu item
| | in
| | GemTools)
| | 2) Load Seaside28 with the following:
| |
| | MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [
| | Gofer project load: 'Seaside28'.
| | ].
| |
| | and you shouldn't have to load anything manually...If you hit
| | issues
| | let me know and we'll see if we can work through them one at a
| | time...
| |
| |
| | Dale
| |

| |
| |
| |
| | | Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 11:26:21 AM
| | | Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project
| | | latestVersion load fail!!
| | |
| | | i did it, a lot of problems appeared, I had to load the classes
| | | manually.
| | | After i ' follow the jame's tutorials , and seaside work's ,but
| | | when
| | | i loaded my backup (come from old appliance)
| | | seaside stop working , i'm trying to fix that.
| | | best regards
| | | mdc
| | |
| | |
| | | On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | |
| | |
| | | Juan,
| | |
| | | The stack that you sent appears to me to be from an older version
| | | of
| | | GLASS than is shipped with 2.4.4.1, so I am assuming that for tht
| | | particular run, you were using the old extent ... try again
| | | starting
| | | with extent0.seaside.dbf and if you hit issues, please send me a
| | | stack and I'll see what I can figure out.
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | |
| | |

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | | | metacelloVersion |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |

Re: ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project latestVersion load fail!!

Dale Henrichs
Install GemStone 2.4 on the appliance[1] and follow the instructions for upgrading your repository (Chapter 2) in the install guide[2].

Dale

[1] http://seaside.gemstone.com/downloads.html
[2] http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/5308874/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf?version=1

| I'm try to "1. Upgrade your appliance extent to 2.4."
| but gemtools say "Glass is up to day " , remember i'm into old
| appliance
| there other way to update old appliance to 2.4 ?
| best
| mdc
|

| On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| Juan,
|
| You have two routes to go to preserve your data:
|
| 1. Upgrade your appliance extent to 2.4.
| 2. Export/import your data.
|
| The upgrade route is the first route I would suggest. The upgrade
| process is documented in the 2.x Install Guide[1]. You already have
| 2.4.4.1 installed on Linux, so you can start the upgrade process by
| following the steps in Chapter 2. Be aware that there are special
| instructions if you are upgrading a Seaside extent ... At the end of
| the upgrade process you will running in pretty much the same
| environment that you started ... A number of things changed since
| the appliance was released bu most if not all of the changes should
| be covered by the upgrade process.
|
| When you have completed step 4 (the Seaside specific step). make a
| backup copy of the extent (file-based copy after shutting down the
| stone or by using the GemTools backup menu item). Run your tests to
| verify that your system is in working order ... if issues appear at
| this point in time (or during the upgrade) let me know.
|
| Once you've gotten to this point you can consider upgrading to the
| latest GLASS version and the latest Seaside28 version. This is the
| point where you want to use the Upgrade GLASS menu item to upgrade
| just the GLASS support code (not Seaside2.8) when the upgrade
| completes you will want to make a backup and run tests before
| proceeding with the Seaside28 upgrade ...
|
| Finally the most recent GemTools image can be used to connect to your
| old Appliance as well as the latest GLASS version. Not all of the
| menu items are functional, but all of the important tools do work.
|
| It's important that we do backups and tests at the end of each step
| so that we can make sure that we are not trying to solve a problem
| that was introduced in an earlier step.
|
| If you don't have a lot of data, or you feel that your data can be
| easily exported/imported (via SIXX or just dumping your data in a
| custom format), then you might consider bypassing the upgrade step
| and just export your data from the appliance and them import it into
| your fresh Seaside28 image. Don't forget that you'll have to dump
| out your application code (business model and custom Seaside
| components) from the appliance and load it into 2.4.4.1 (and run
| tests) before attempting to import your data.
|
| Dale
|
| [1]
| http://community.gemstone.com/download/attachments/5308874/GS64-InstallGuide-Linux-2.4.pdf?version=1

| |
| | Dale
| |
| | i have installed and running the first appliance (1.0 i guess) , in
| | this appliance i have one application running,now i'm migrating to
| | 2.4.4.4 gemstone/glass.
| | Before i make backup on first appliance y restore on "new"
| | (2.4.4.4)
| | glass, but don't work
| | restore process seems to be overrides some core classes i guess .
| | that is the question how restore my backup on "new" glass.
| | best
| | mdc
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | [hidden email]
| | > wrote:
| |
| |
| | What do you have in your "old appliance" that you need to restore?
| |
| |
| | Dale
| |

| |
| |
| |
| | | Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 12:49:05 PM
| | | Subject: Re: [GS/SS Beta] ConfigurationOfSeaside28 project
| | | latestVersion load fail!!
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | | i do, and work ok thanks ,Now how do I restore of my old
| | | appliance
| | | image ??
| | | best
| | | mdc
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | |
| | |
| | | Juan,
| | |
| | | If you start with the extent0.seaside.dbf, you should be able to
| | | use
| | | GemTools (which I assume has been updated to 1.0-beta.8.4
| | | already)
| | | to login and then the only thing that you need to do is:
| | |
| | | 1) Update GLASS to 1.0-beta.8.6 (using the Update GLASS menu item
| | | in
| | | GemTools)
| | | 2) Load Seaside28 with the following:
| | |
| | | MCPlatformSupport commitOnAlmostOutOfMemoryDuring: [
| | | Gofer project load: 'Seaside28'.
| | | ].
| | |
| | | and you shouldn't have to load anything manually...If you hit
| | | issues
| | | let me know and we'll see if we can work through them one at a
| | | time...
| | |
| | |
| | | Dale