Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Configuring iceberg on Windows

Andrei Stebakov
I followed the tutorial and provided IceCredentialProvider with ssh settings, also put the same settings in Settings-Tools-Software Configuration Management. 
It seems not to have any effect since when I try to create a repo using SSH it gives the error "Failed to connect to github.com".
I need to get past that error since I get it even when I install Moose via Metacello.
Do I need to add ssh-agent as well? If yes, why do we need to provide public/private key paths with IceCredentialProvider?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Configuring iceberg on Windows

EstebanLM
Hi, 

I do not have an easy answer for you. 
No, you don’t need to install ssh-agent. 
But then, I do not understand why you can’t connect, since others have not reported this problem, I just can guess: is your key password protected? 
Has you provided it?

Also, password protected keys has had problems in the past, I would suggest to use one that does not have.

Esteban

On 6 Sep 2018, at 15:57, Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> wrote:

I followed the tutorial and provided IceCredentialProvider with ssh settings, also put the same settings in Settings-Tools-Software Configuration Management. 
It seems not to have any effect since when I try to create a repo using SSH it gives the error "Failed to connect to github.com".
I need to get past that error since I get it even when I install Moose via Metacello.
Do I need to add ssh-agent as well? If yes, why do we need to provide public/private key paths with IceCredentialProvider?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
In reply to this post by Andrei Stebakov
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 21:58, Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I followed the tutorial

Hi Andrei,  Could you be specific about which tutorial that was.  I'm not sure if I'm just getting by on old knowledge
or the much improved Iceberg UI and its good to refresh myself with such tutorials.

and provided IceCredentialProvider with ssh settings, also put the same settings in Settings-Tools-Software Configuration Management. 

In the past I had github+ssh working on Windows with "Use custom SSH keys" enabled"
but then a while ago it stopped for "no apparent reason"(TM).  Co-incidentally a few hours ago I solved my problem.

I went back to basics checking from command line per... https://help.github.com/articles/testing-your-ssh-connection/
and found  ```ssh -T [hidden email]``` erroring with...
"@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@         WARNING: UNPROTECTED PRIVATE KEY FILE!          @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Permissions for 'C:\\Users\\Ben/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open.
It is required that your private key files are NOT accessible by others.
This private key will be ignored.
Load key "C:\\Users\\Ben/.ssh/id_rsa": bad permissions
[hidden email]: Permission denied (publickey).

I right-clicked on my folder C:\Users\ben\.ssh
then Properties > Security > Advanced > Disable Inheritance
then removed SYSTEM, Administrator & Administrators leaving only BEN.

Then this worked...
C:>ssh -T [hidden email]
Hi bencoman! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

And now also worked from within Pharo (with "Use custom SSH keys" enabled")

HTH, cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Uhnak
>  I need to get past that error since I get it even when I install Moose via Metacello.

Note that Moose depends on projects that are on github, so if it is misconfigured, then it will fail.
Maybe you can provide both the ssh key and regular key/password? I use both and so far I had no problems on neither Windows nor Linux.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I followed the tutorial

Hi Andrei,  Could you be specific about which tutorial that was.  I'm not sure if I'm just getting by on old knowledge
or the much improved Iceberg UI and its good to refresh myself with such tutorials.

and provided IceCredentialProvider with ssh settings, also put the same settings in Settings-Tools-Software Configuration Management. 

In the past I had github+ssh working on Windows with "Use custom SSH keys" enabled"
but then a while ago it stopped for "no apparent reason"(TM).  Co-incidentally a few hours ago I solved my problem.

I went back to basics checking from command line per... https://help.github.com/articles/testing-your-ssh-connection/

Then this worked...
Hi bencoman! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

HTH, cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrei Stebakov
I was trying debug it a little to see if how iceberg uses the path to private and public keys. When I mangle the path to something non-existant I got no error saying that the path is wrong. What would be a way to verify that iceberg actually uses the keys?

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 16:35 Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I need to get past that error since I get it even when I install Moose via Metacello.

Note that Moose depends on projects that are on github, so if it is misconfigured, then it will fail.
Maybe you can provide both the ssh key and regular key/password? I use both and so far I had no problems on neither Windows nor Linux.

Peter

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 6:28 PM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
I followed the tutorial

Then this worked...

HTH, cheers -ben
Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman
On Fri, 7 Sep 2018 at 10:11, Andrei Stebakov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was trying debug it a little to see if how iceberg uses the path to private and public keys. When I mangle the path to something non-existent I got no error saying that the path is wrong. What would be a way to verify that iceberg actually uses the keys?

I don't know. 
Just wanted to suggest it would be useful to have a <Test> button under "Use custom SSH keys" 

cheers -ben