Confused about MagmaCollections

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Confused about MagmaCollections

ZeBourk
Hi,

Diving into Magma, I have found some information that look, to me,
quite contradictory about MagmaCollections.

Here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2639 I understand that they are a
good choice for large collections of objects.

And here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2986 it is said that they
should not be used.

Well, I have a large collection of objects and MagmaCollections seemed
to meet my requirements in terms of accessing, but, according to the
wiki, not in terms of performances.

So my question is: are they usable or should I implement my own version ?

Regards,

Thierry
_______________________________________________
Magma mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Confused about MagmaCollections

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Thierry Lebourque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diving into Magma, I have found some information that look, to me,
> quite contradictory about MagmaCollections.
>
> Here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2639 I understand that they are a
> good choice for large collections of objects.

Indeed, they can be.  There is also MagmaArray and
MagmaPreallocatedDictionary and, in the latest Magma alpha code,
"MagmaHashTable" which provides a balance between speed and
key-access.

> And here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2986 it is said that they
> should not be used.

Please read it more closely, it does not say that..

> Well, I have a large collection of objects and MagmaCollections seemed
> to meet my requirements in terms of accessing, but, according to the
> wiki, not in terms of performances.
>
> So my question is: are they usable or should I implement my own version ?

There are many different kinds of Collections, you should choose the
ones that can minimally meet your requirements.  MagmaCollections were
designed to provide keyword-access to objects, but are often overkill
for other purposes..

  - Chris




>
> Regards,
>
> Thierry
> _______________________________________________
> Magma mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
>
_______________________________________________
Magma mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Confused about MagmaCollections

ZeBourk
Thank you. After a more careful reading and some investigations, I
think I understand now what is meant. Actually, I think I must forget
what I have learned in my (small) RDBMS experience :)

2011/5/2 Chris Muller <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Thierry Lebourque <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Diving into Magma, I have found some information that look, to me,
>> quite contradictory about MagmaCollections.
>>
>> Here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2639 I understand that they are a
>> good choice for large collections of objects.
>
> Indeed, they can be.  There is also MagmaArray and
> MagmaPreallocatedDictionary and, in the latest Magma alpha code,
> "MagmaHashTable" which provides a balance between speed and
> key-access.
>
>> And here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2986 it is said that they
>> should not be used.
>
> Please read it more closely, it does not say that..
>
>> Well, I have a large collection of objects and MagmaCollections seemed
>> to meet my requirements in terms of accessing, but, according to the
>> wiki, not in terms of performances.
>>
>> So my question is: are they usable or should I implement my own version ?
>
> There are many different kinds of Collections, you should choose the
> ones that can minimally meet your requirements.  MagmaCollections were
> designed to provide keyword-access to objects, but are often overkill
> for other purposes..
>
>  - Chris
>
>
>
>
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Thierry
>> _______________________________________________
>> Magma mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
>>
>
_______________________________________________
Magma mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/magma
Loading...