Confused about MagmaCollections

ZeBourk
Hi,

Diving into Magma, I have found some information that look, to me,
quite contradictory about MagmaCollections.

Here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2639 I understand that they are a
good choice for large collections of objects.

And here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2986 it is said that they
should not be used.

Well, I have a large collection of objects and MagmaCollections seemed
to meet my requirements in terms of accessing, but, according to the
wiki, not in terms of performances.

So my question is: are they usable or should I implement my own version ?

Regards,

Thierry

Re: Confused about MagmaCollections

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Thierry Lebourque <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Diving into Magma, I have found some information that look, to me,
> quite contradictory about MagmaCollections.
>
> Here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2639 I understand that they are a
> good choice for large collections of objects.

Indeed, they can be.  There is also MagmaArray and
MagmaPreallocatedDictionary and, in the latest Magma alpha code,
"MagmaHashTable" which provides a balance between speed and
key-access.

> And here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2986 it is said that they
> should not be used.

Please read it more closely, it does not say that..

> Well, I have a large collection of objects and MagmaCollections seemed
> to meet my requirements in terms of accessing, but, according to the
> wiki, not in terms of performances.
>
> So my question is: are they usable or should I implement my own version ?

There are many different kinds of Collections, you should choose the
ones that can minimally meet your requirements.  MagmaCollections were
designed to provide keyword-access to objects, but are often overkill
for other purposes..

  - Chris

> Regards,
>
> Thierry

Re: Confused about MagmaCollections

ZeBourk
Thank you. After a more careful reading and some investigations, I
think I understand now what is meant. Actually, I think I must forget
what I have learned in my (small) RDBMS experience :)