Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Rick Flower
Ok.. I've gotten past my initial hurdles with Boris' help but none of
my css files or images are getting pulled in due
to the deprecated API that I was using w/ Seaside 2.6 (besides the
move from Webtoolkit to Opentalk)..

Anyway, in perusing the old mail messages from the list, it appears
that WAExternalFileLibrary may be the solution
I'm looking for but I'm stuck with trying to get it to work.  I've
created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".

Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse
on the usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory lie
in the filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory
along with the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have one
directory w/ css and another with images how is that done?  Thanks!

-- Rick

Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Magnus Schwarz
Hi Rick,

although the files reside in the /files directory (i.e.
/files/myFile.jpg), the proper URL in Seaside is files/external/myFile.jpg.
(This may IMHO be a bit confusing...)

Regards,
Magnus

--
Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect * mailto:[hidden email]
phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Rick Flower
This is really odd to me.. I finally got it working.  In my case, I
used the name "include" in the dispatch editor for Seaside (where the
configuration of the WAExternalFileLibrary lives) and my links needed
to be named "include/external/foo.jpg" but the files live in
the VW image directory as "vw7.6/image/files/foo.jpg".. It also does
not appear to handle subdirectories from what I've seen.. I guess I'll
have to spend some time looking into Apache again since this isn't
doing what I was hoping.. Oh well..

-- Rick

On Jun 13, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Magnus Schwarz wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> although the files reside in the /files directory (i.e. /files/
> myFile.jpg), the proper URL in Seaside is files/external/myFile.jpg.
> (This may IMHO be a bit confusing...)
>
> Regards,
> Magnus
>
> [hidden email] schrieb:
>>
>>   1. Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...
>>      (Richard E. Flower)

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:02:12 -0700
>> From: "Richard E. Flower" <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: [Seaside] Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...
>> To: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Ok.. I've gotten past my initial hurdles with Boris' help but none
>> of  my css files or images are getting pulled in due
>> to the deprecated API that I was using w/ Seaside 2.6 (besides the
>> move from Webtoolkit to Opentalk)..
>>
>> Anyway, in perusing the old mail messages from the list, it
>> appears  that WAExternalFileLibrary may be the solution
>> I'm looking for but I'm stuck with trying to get it to work.  I've
>> created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".
>>
>> Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
>> files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse
>> on the usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory
>> lie  in the filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory
>> along with the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have
>> one  directory w/ css and another with images how is that done?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -- Rick
>>

> --
> Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect * mailto:[hidden email]
> phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20
> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Rick Flower
Ok.. In thinking about the big picture here and trying to
help perspective future users of this class.. I'm wondering IF
I were to alter the existing WAExternalFileLibrary to be more
flexible (add support for subdirectories + more obvious config
features), would that annoy other users of this class?  I'm not
sure how many people are actually using it for anything --
comments?  At a minimum I'll certainly document the current
behavior including where the 'files' directory lives within the
VW tree which was half the problem for me to guess.

-- Rick

On Sun, June 15, 2008 8:07 pm, Richard E. Flower wrote:

> This is really odd to me.. I finally got it working.  In my case, I
> used the name "include" in the dispatch editor for Seaside (where the
> configuration of the WAExternalFileLibrary lives) and my links needed
> to be named "include/external/foo.jpg" but the files live in
> the VW image directory as "vw7.6/image/files/foo.jpg".. It also does
> not appear to handle subdirectories from what I've seen.. I guess I'll
> have to spend some time looking into Apache again since this isn't
> doing what I was hoping.. Oh well..
>
> -- Rick
>

> On Jun 13, 2008, at 2:21 PM, Magnus Schwarz wrote:
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> although the files reside in the /files directory (i.e. /files/
>> myFile.jpg), the proper URL in Seaside is files/external/myFile.jpg.
>> (This may IMHO be a bit confusing...)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Magnus
>>
>> [hidden email] schrieb:
>>>
>>>   1. Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...
>>>      (Richard E. Flower)

>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:02:12 -0700
>>> From: "Richard E. Flower" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: [Seaside] Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...
>>> To: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Ok.. I've gotten past my initial hurdles with Boris' help but none
>>> of  my css files or images are getting pulled in due
>>> to the deprecated API that I was using w/ Seaside 2.6 (besides the
>>> move from Webtoolkit to Opentalk)..
>>>
>>> Anyway, in perusing the old mail messages from the list, it
>>> appears  that WAExternalFileLibrary may be the solution
>>> I'm looking for but I'm stuck with trying to get it to work.  I've
>>> created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".
>>>
>>> Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
>>> files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse
>>> on the usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory
>>> lie  in the filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory
>>> along with the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have
>>> one  directory w/ css and another with images how is that done?
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -- Rick
>>>

>> --
>> Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect *
>> mailto:[hidden email]
>> phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20
>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Sure, submit it as a patch for Cincom to review. I imagine subdirectories should be part of basic functionality for file serving.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

> [...]

>>> created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".
>>>
>>> Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
>>> files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse
>>> on the usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory
>>> lie  in the filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory
>>> along with the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have
>>> one  directory w/ css and another with images how is that done?
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -- Rick
>>>

>> --
>> Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect *
>> [hidden email]
>> phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20
>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Thanks Boris.. I guess I have to get my feet wet with modifying
something within Seaside at some point eh!?  This class looks
nice-n-small so it's a good candidate.. Of course I'll let you-all
that know more about ST than I do, review it..

-- Rick

Sent: Mon Jun 16 17:58:04 2008

To: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
Ok.. I've gotten past my initial hurdles with Boris' help but none of
 my css files or images are getting pulled in due
move from Webtoolkit to Opentalk)..
created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".
Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse on the
usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory lie  in the
filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory along with
the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have one  directory
w/ css and another with images how is that done? Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect *
mailto:[hidden email]

>>> phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20
>>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

That's actually something Cincom added I believe.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

Sent: Mon Jun 16 17:58:04 2008

To: Seaside - general discussion <[hidden email]>
Ok.. I've gotten past my initial hurdles with Boris' help but none of
 my css files or images are getting pulled in due
move from Webtoolkit to Opentalk)..
created a "Files" entry point as indicated and named it "include".
Now, I've changed one of my image references to point to /seaside/
files/image.jpg but its never found.. The docs are very terse on the
usage.. Am I missing something?  Where does the directory lie  in the
filesystem for VW? I've tried the top-level VW directory along with
the 'image' subdirectory...  Also, if I want to have one  directory
w/ css and another with images how is that done? Thanks!
>>> --
>>> Magnus Schwarz * certified Scrum Master / Smalltalk architect *
[hidden email]
>>> phone:+49 231 97599-0 * fax:+49 231 97599-20
>>> Georg Heeg eK Dortmund
>>> Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Dortmund  A 12812

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Lukas Renggli
> That's actually something Cincom added I believe.

In the development branch of Seaside 2.9 there is an official package
classed Seaside-FileSystem that serves external files. It has a
configuration interface like a normal Seaside applications, allows one
to enable/disable file-listing for directories and to specify the
base-path on your local harddisk. It severs also sub-directories of
the specified base-path.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Rick Flower
Cool.. One less thing for me to look into.. Thanks!

On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> That's actually something Cincom added I believe.
>
> In the development branch of Seaside 2.9 there is an official package
> classed Seaside-FileSystem that serves external files. It has a
> configuration interface like a normal Seaside applications, allows one
> to enable/disable file-listing for directories and to specify the
> base-path on your local harddisk. It severs also sub-directories of
> the specified base-path.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Randal L. Schwartz

Lukas> In the development branch of Seaside 2.9 there is an official package
Lukas> classed Seaside-FileSystem that serves external files. It has a
Lukas> configuration interface like a normal Seaside applications, allows one
Lukas> to enable/disable file-listing for directories and to specify the
Lukas> base-path on your local harddisk. It severs also sub-directories of
Lukas> the specified base-path.

Sorry for not looking, but between this and being able to set the
default path to /, does that that mean we could (inefficiently) have
Seaside serve the entire URL space now?  If so, that would be good
for very lightweight or demo sites, not needing to get Apache in place.

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Michael Lucas-Smith-3
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Lukas> In the development branch of Seaside 2.9 there is an official package
> Lukas> classed Seaside-FileSystem that serves external files. It has a
> Lukas> configuration interface like a normal Seaside applications, allows one
> Lukas> to enable/disable file-listing for directories and to specify the
> Lukas> base-path on your local harddisk. It severs also sub-directories of
> Lukas> the specified base-path.
>
> Sorry for not looking, but between this and being able to set the
> default path to /, does that that mean we could (inefficiently) have
> Seaside serve the entire URL space now?  If so, that would be good
> for very lightweight or demo sites, not needing to get Apache in place.

You could always set the default path to / in Seaside. We do that by
default in WebVelocity.

I'm really glad to see Seaside-FileSystem in Seaside 2.9.

Randal: Inefficient? That's a random stretch, if you're using
Opentalk-HTTP then it's not going to be particularly inefficient and
it's a wild call to assume that Komanche and Swazoo would be slow
without trying it out.

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Philippe Marschall
2008/6/17 Michael Lucas-Smith <[hidden email]>:

>> Lukas> In the development branch of Seaside 2.9 there is an official
>> package
>> Lukas> classed Seaside-FileSystem that serves external files. It has a
>> Lukas> configuration interface like a normal Seaside applications, allows
>> one
>> Lukas> to enable/disable file-listing for directories and to specify the
>> Lukas> base-path on your local harddisk. It severs also sub-directories of
>> Lukas> the specified base-path.
>>
>> Sorry for not looking, but between this and being able to set the
>> default path to /, does that that mean we could (inefficiently) have
>> Seaside serve the entire URL space now?  If so, that would be good
>> for very lightweight or demo sites, not needing to get Apache in place.
>>

> You could always set the default path to / in Seaside. We do that by default
> in WebVelocity.
>
> I'm really glad to see Seaside-FileSystem in Seaside 2.9.
>
> Randal: Inefficient? That's a random stretch, if you're using Opentalk-HTTP
> then it's not going to be particularly inefficient and it's a wild call to
> assume that Komanche and Swazoo would be slow without trying it out.

Oh they are, at least on Squeak. They max the CPU out a 1 MByte/s.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Janko Mivšek

Michael Lucas-Smith wrote:

> Randal: Inefficient? That's a random stretch, if you're using
> Opentalk-HTTP then it's not going to be particularly inefficient and
> it's a wild call to assume that Komanche and Swazoo would be slow
> without trying it out.

Swazoo is definitely not inefficient serving static content anymore, on
VW is now only 4x slower than Apache, achieving 36MBytes/s, which is
about 300Mbits/s, that is 3 times saturation of 100M ethernet:

        http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

How much is Opentalk-HTTP able to achieve?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Randal L. Schwartz

Randal> Sorry for not looking, but between this and being able to set the
Randal> default path to /, does that that mean we could (inefficiently) have
Randal> Seaside serve the entire URL space now?  If so, that would be good
Randal> for very lightweight or demo sites, not needing to get Apache in place.

Ahh.  But what I didn't ask is that I'm wondering if I can set / to be
"files", but "/seaside" and below to still dispatch to seaside as before.
*That* would rock.

In other words, can I have specific exceptions to a general path that maps to
a file handler?

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: [Seaside] Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Oh, now we are back to 'my gun is bigger than your gun' discussion again. It's great that one can achieve decent performance serving content with a built in server, let's have a group hug and move on ;)

Thanks, Lukas, it's nice to see that piece get addressed. It means I can mostly get rid of my own directory emulation library and just dump files from an image into a subdirectory marked with a version number on deployment.

Cheers!

-Boris (via BlackBerry)

> Randal: Inefficient? That's a random stretch, if you're using
> Opentalk-HTTP then it's not going to be particularly inefficient and
> it's a wild call to assume that Komanche and Swazoo would be slow
> without trying it out.

Swazoo is definitely not inefficient serving static content anymore, on
VW is now only 4x slower than Apache, achieving 36MBytes/s, which is
about 300Mbits/s, that is 3 times saturation of 100M ethernet:

        http://www.swazoo.org/benchmarks/swazoo-vs-apache.html

How much is Opentalk-HTTP able to achieve?

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Re: Confused over the use of WAExternalFileLibrary...

Lukas Renggli
> Ahh.  But what I didn't ask is that I'm wondering if I can set / to be
> "files", but "/seaside" and below to still dispatch to seaside as before.
> *That* would rock.

This is currently not done, but would certainly be doable.

>  Thanks, Lukas, it's nice to see that piece get addressed.

It got addressed and there was a running implementation the day the
issue was raised the first time in the list ;-)

> It means I can
> mostly get rid of my own directory emulation library and just dump files
> from an image into a subdirectory marked with a version number on
> deployment.

One thing I forgot the mention is that this implementation uses Sport
(LGPL) for the platform independent file-access. This could be a
problem for some people. I guess we have to write our own
compatibility layer at some point.

Cheers,
Lukas

--