Connect to VPN automatically from VA Smalltalk

Connect to VPN automatically from VA Smalltalk

Juli Permana

I am looking for a way to do two things :
  1. Check to see if a client computer has a VPN connection to our server, and if not,
  2. Create one programmatically using VA Smalltalk.
Does anybody know how to do this ?
Thank you in advance.

Re: Connect to VPN automatically from VA Smalltalk

Marten Feldtmann-4

That's pretty interesting to know ....

Marten

Juli Permana <[hidden email]> hat am 7. September 2017 um 06:46 geschrieben:

I am looking for a way to do two things :
  1. Check to see if a client computer has a VPN connection to our server, and if not,
  2. Create one programmatically using VA Smalltalk.
Does anybody know how to do this ?
Thank you in advance.

Re: Connect to VPN automatically from VA Smalltalk

Seth Berman
I've just looked briefly (and I'm assuming we are talking about Windows), but there seems to be at least 2 possible options.

One option is to make calls to rasdial.exe from VAST making sure to capture things like stdout so you can parse the result.
Calling rasdial.exe without any arguments will give status info on current connections to stdout.
Something like rasdial.exe <VPN Name> <Username> <Password> would make a connection
And rasdial.exe <VPN Name> /D   would disconnect it.

Another option, though a bit more involved since you have to do Win API bindings, is to make use of the Remote Access Service API
which essentially performs the same operations at a more programmatic API level.  Naturally, there is a lot more you can do at this level
but, as I said, you need to create enough binding code so you can query the state of a connection, create and/or connect to an existing connection, and possibly disconnect.
If your interested in this kind of thing, I might start here

There may be other options, like the Get Connected Wizard API...but I think this provides more programmatic access to the Windows Connection Wizard dialog boxes...which may not be what you want.

-- Seth