Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Karel Beyr
Hello list,
I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works 7.7.
When I start fresh visual.im , install parcel Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:

(GbsSessionParameters
    newWithGemStoneName: '!@192.168.0.227!seaside'
    username: 'SystemUser'
    password: 'swordfish'
    rememberPassword: true
    hostUsername: ''
    hostPassword: ''
    rememberHostPassword: true
    gemService: '!@192.168.0.227!gemnetobject'
    addToKnownParameters: true) login

I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository monitor., EOF from SocketRead"

On stack in  GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments are true (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page when I connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.

When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks image.
Any ideas how to get past this error?

Thanks!
Karel

Karel

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Stern, Richard
Hello!

It's just a guest from my side -  but are you running the appliance in "NAT"-mode? Because I think that this a pure network issue - I know such problems from our corporate network when our Gemstone servers were in a subnet somehow connected via NAT. (Please don't ask me any details - I'm really no expert on IP networking ...).

Anyway - when this happened, our first try always was to do not use the external IP when quoting the stone. If the hostname of your appliance is still the standard "glass", I'd try it with

    .. newWithGemStoneName: [hidden email]!seaside'
I don't kow if it can help in your case - but it's worth a try!

Kind regards

Richard

Thanks!
Karel

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Nick
Hi,

I think I suffered from a similar problem when I was installing my own Gemstone server. I solved the problem by editing my /etc/hosts file and giving the ip address a name, then using the name Gemstone connection object, rather than the IP address.

Nick

On 25 August 2010 12:32, Stern, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

It's just a guest from my side -  but are you running the appliance in "NAT"-mode? Because I think that this a pure network issue - I know such problems from our corporate network when our Gemstone servers were in a subnet somehow connected via NAT. (Please don't ask me any details - I'm really no expert on IP networking ...).

Anyway - when this happened, our first try always was to do not use the external IP when quoting the stone. If the hostname of your appliance is still the standard "glass", I'd try it with

    .. newWithGemStoneName: [hidden email]glass!seaside'
I don't kow if it can help in your case - but it's worth a try!

Kind regards

Richard

Karel

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Dale Henrichs
Karel,

The license settings in the appliance turn off traversal buffers which
are required by GBS. GBS is part of our commercial offering and we
haven't set up free (for any use:) licensing of GBS.

To get the best experience from the appliance you should use the
GemTools client, since there are tools available from GemTools that
aren't available through GBS.

If OmniBrowswer support were to be ported to VisualWorks, then you'd be
able to use VisualWorks as a GemTools client...

Dale

Karel Beyr wrote:

>   Hello list,
> I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works 7.7.
> When I start fresh visual.im <http://visual.im> , install parcel
> Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:
>
> (GbsSessionParameters
>     newWithGemStoneName: '!@192.168.0.227 <http://192.168.0.227>!seaside'
>     username: 'SystemUser'
>     password: 'swordfish'
>     rememberPassword: true
>     hostUsername: ''
>     hostPassword: ''
>     rememberHostPassword: true
>     gemService: '!@192.168.0.227 <http://192.168.0.227>!gemnetobject'
>     addToKnownParameters: true) login
>
> I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The GemStone
> session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository monitor., EOF
> from SocketRead"
>
> On stack in  GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments are true
> (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
> Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page when I
> connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.
>
> When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance
> (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks image.
> Any ideas how to get past this error?
>
> Thanks!
> Karel

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Conrad Taylor

When I start fresh visual.im <http://visual.im> , install parcel Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:

[...]

Dale, I have also wanted to use GBS with VW to connect to Gemstone/S but this would require 2 licenses (i.e. GS and VW) and several thousand dollars later for a proof-of-concept.  Thus, the idea was dropped because the powers that be wouldn't provide budget for it.  Anyway, is there a GemTools version that supports Gemstone/S 3.0 out of the box?

-Conrad

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Dale Henrichs
Conrad,

We don't have a one-click with the 3.0 gci library installed, but the "standard" GemTools works with GemStone 3.0 once you've replaced the gci library with the one that can be found in the $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory[1].

Does that help?

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Install_GCI_library_files

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Conrad,

We don't have a one-click with the 3.0 gci library installed, but the "standard" GemTools works with GemStone 3.0 once you've replaced the gci library with the one that can be found in the $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory[1].

Does that help?

Dale

Dale, is part of the system 32 bit and others 64 bit?  Anyway, I'll attempt to use the Gemstone/S 3.0 that was installed with Maglev.  Then I'll try to get the GemTools working from their based on Monty's instructions.  I have put this off because I didn't want to ruin my Maglev installation.  Next, I see the following within the  $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:

$ ls -al
total 1928
dr-xr-xr-x   5 conradwt  staff     170 Jun  7 13:12 .
drwxr-xr-x  21 conradwt  staff     714 Jun 13 00:30 ..
-r-xr-xr-x   1 conradwt  staff     170 Jun  7 13:12 ._libgcirpc64-301.dylib.VXfcaM
lrwxr-xr-x   1 conradwt  staff      21 Jun  7 15:59 libgcirpc.dylib -> libgcirpc64-301.dylib
-r-xr-xr-x@  1 conradwt  staff  977764 Jun  7 13:12 libgcirpc64-301.dylib

-Conrad

[1] http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Install_GCI_library_files

| On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| Karel,
|
| The license settings in the appliance turn off traversal buffers
| which are required by GBS. GBS is part of our commercial offering
| and we haven't set up free (for any use:) licensing of GBS.
|
| To get the best experience from the appliance you should use the
| GemTools client, since there are tools available from GemTools that
| aren't available through GBS.
|
| If OmniBrowswer support were to be ported to VisualWorks, then you'd
| be able to use VisualWorks as a GemTools client...
|
| Dale
|
| Karel Beyr wrote:
|

| Hello list,
| I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works
| 7.7.
| When I start fresh visual.im < http://visual.im > , install parcel
| Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:
|
| (GbsSessionParameters
| newWithGemStoneName: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| seaside'
|
| username: 'SystemUser'
| password: 'swordfish'
| rememberPassword: true
| hostUsername: ''
| hostPassword: ''
| rememberHostPassword: true
| gemService: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >! gemnetobject'
|
| addToKnownParameters: true) login
|
| I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The
| GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
| monitor., EOF from SocketRead"
|
| On stack in GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments are
| true (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
| Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page
| when I connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.
|
| When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance
| (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks
| image.
| Any ideas how to get past this error?
|
| Thanks!
| Karel
|

| Dale, I have also wanted to use GBS with VW to connect to Gemstone/S
| but this would require 2 licenses (i.e. GS and VW) and several
| thousand dollars later for a proof-of-concept. Thus, the idea was
| dropped because the powers that be wouldn't provide budget for it.
| Anyway, is there a GemTools version that supports Gemstone/S 3.0 out
| of the box?
|

| -Conrad

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Dale Henrichs
Conrad,

The 32 bit gci library is used to connect to 32 bit client Smalltalk vms, while the base product is 64 bit. We also have 64 bit gci libraries for the 64 bit vms, but in general the 64bit client smalltalk vms haven't been as stable as their 32bit counterparts ...

The GemTools that Monty ships with Maglev should work for you ...

Be aware that we don't have a whole lot of experience with running mixed systems of Ruby and Smalltalk. Ruby running on top of Smalltalk (the standard mechanism for Ruby in MagLev) is tested all of the time, but we have not spent a lot of time making sure that Smalltalk running in a Ruby extent will work.

Here's some of the skinny on what is going on in the ruby and seaside extents. The standard extent0.dbf includes:

  - SystemUser owns the base Smalltalk class library (globals found in the
    Globals symbolDictionary).

After exten0.dbf is built, we load code as DataCurator and create extent0.seaside.dbf:

  - DataCurator is loaded up with the GLASS support library (globals and method
    extensions found in UserGlobals). Classes include Monticello/Metacello support,
    Squeak/Pharo compatibility and GemTools support.
  - Note that loading Seaside is left up to the user.

To create extent0.ruby.dbf, we load in the GLASS support code (same as extent0.seaside.dbf) and some ruby-specific Smalltalk code to make the extent ruby and smalltalk friendly:

  - DataCurator owns all of the artifacts ...

To summarize:

  - extent0.dbf         - GemStone Smalltalk in Globals owned by SystemUser
  - extent0.seaside.dbf - extent0.dbf plus GLASS base code in DataCurator's UserGlobals
  - extent0.ruby.dbf    - extent0.seaside.dbf plus ruby support code in DataCurator's UserGlobals ...

Running smalltalk code in extent0.dbf has been extensively tested. Running Smalltalk, Seaside and Squeak/Pharo compat code has been extensively tested in extent0.seaside.dbf. Running Ruby code in extent0.ruby.dbf has been extensively tested.

We haven't done a lot of testing of Seaside running in extent0.ruby.dbf and there were a handful of issues a month or two ago that have not been addressed yet ...

MagLev is a superset of GemStone/S 3.0 so you should be able to run pretty much any combination that you want ...

Dale

| On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| Conrad,
|
| We don't have a one-click with the 3.0 gci library installed, but the
| "standard" GemTools works with GemStone 3.0 once you've replaced the
| gci library with the one that can be found in the $GEMSTONE/lib32
| directory[1].
|
| Does that help?
|
| Dale
|

| Dale, is part of the system 32 bit and others 64 bit? Anyway, I'll
| attempt to use the Gemstone/S 3.0 that was installed with Maglev.
| Then I'll try to get the GemTools working from their based on
| Monty's instructions. I have put this off because I didn't want to
| ruin my Maglev installation. Next, I see the following within the
| $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:
|

| $ ls -al
| total 1928
| dr-xr-xr-x 5 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12 .
| drwxr-xr-x 21 conradwt staff 714 Jun 13 00:30 ..
| -r-xr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12
| ._libgcirpc64-301.dylib.VXfcaM
| lrwxr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 21 Jun 7 15:59 libgcirpc.dylib ->
| libgcirpc64-301.dylib
| -r-xr-xr-x@ 1 conradwt staff 977764 Jun 7 13:12 libgcirpc64-301.dylib
|

| -Conrad
|

| [1]
| http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Install_GCI_library_files

| |
| | On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Dale Henrichs <
| | [hidden email]
| | > wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| | Karel,
| |
| | The license settings in the appliance turn off traversal buffers
| | which are required by GBS. GBS is part of our commercial offering
| | and we haven't set up free (for any use:) licensing of GBS.
| |
| | To get the best experience from the appliance you should use the
| | GemTools client, since there are tools available from GemTools that
| | aren't available through GBS.
| |
| | If OmniBrowswer support were to be ported to VisualWorks, then
| | you'd
| | be able to use VisualWorks as a GemTools client...
| |
| | Dale
| |
| | Karel Beyr wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| | Hello list,
| | I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works
| | 7.7.
| | When I start fresh visual.im < http://visual.im > , install parcel
| | Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:
| |
| | (GbsSessionParameters
| | newWithGemStoneName: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | seaside'
| |
| | username: 'SystemUser'
| | password: 'swordfish'
| | rememberPassword: true
| | hostUsername: ''
| | hostPassword: ''
| | rememberHostPassword: true
| | gemService: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | gemnetobject'
| |
| | addToKnownParameters: true) login
| |
| | I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The
| | GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
| | monitor., EOF from SocketRead"
| |
| | On stack in GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments are
| | true (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
| | Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page
| | when I connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.
| |
| | When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance
| | (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks
| | image.
| | Any ideas how to get past this error?
| |
| | Thanks!
| | Karel
| |
| |
| |
| | Dale, I have also wanted to use GBS with VW to connect to
| | Gemstone/S
| | but this would require 2 licenses (i.e. GS and VW) and several
| | thousand dollars later for a proof-of-concept. Thus, the idea was
| | dropped because the powers that be wouldn't provide budget for it.
| | Anyway, is there a GemTools version that supports Gemstone/S 3.0
| | out
| | of the box?
| |
| |
| | -Conrad
| |
| |

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale, I take it that GemTools work with the latest stable version of Pharo 1.2.1.  If this is the case, I'll proceed in this manner.

-Conrad

| On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| Conrad,
|
| We don't have a one-click with the 3.0 gci library installed, but the
| "standard" GemTools works with GemStone 3.0 once you've replaced the
| gci library with the one that can be found in the $GEMSTONE/lib32
| directory[1].
|
| Does that help?
|
| Dale
|

| Dale, is part of the system 32 bit and others 64 bit? Anyway, I'll
| attempt to use the Gemstone/S 3.0 that was installed with Maglev.
| Then I'll try to get the GemTools working from their based on
| Monty's instructions. I have put this off because I didn't want to
| ruin my Maglev installation. Next, I see the following within the
| $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:
|

| $ ls -al
| total 1928
| dr-xr-xr-x 5 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12 .
| drwxr-xr-x 21 conradwt staff 714 Jun 13 00:30 ..
| -r-xr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12
| ._libgcirpc64-301.dylib.VXfcaM
| lrwxr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 21 Jun 7 15:59 libgcirpc.dylib ->
| libgcirpc64-301.dylib
| -r-xr-xr-x@ 1 conradwt staff 977764 Jun 7 13:12 libgcirpc64-301.dylib
|

| -Conrad
|

| [1]
| http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Install_GCI_library_files

| |
| | On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Dale Henrichs <
| | [hidden email]
| | > wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| | Karel,
| |
| | The license settings in the appliance turn off traversal buffers
| | which are required by GBS. GBS is part of our commercial offering
| | and we haven't set up free (for any use:) licensing of GBS.
| |
| | To get the best experience from the appliance you should use the
| | GemTools client, since there are tools available from GemTools that
| | aren't available through GBS.
| |
| | If OmniBrowswer support were to be ported to VisualWorks, then
| | you'd
| | be able to use VisualWorks as a GemTools client...
| |
| | Dale
| |
| | Karel Beyr wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| | Hello list,
| | I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works
| | 7.7.
| | When I start fresh visual.im < http://visual.im > , install parcel
| | Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:
| |
| | (GbsSessionParameters
| | newWithGemStoneName: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | seaside'
| |
| | username: 'SystemUser'
| | password: 'swordfish'
| | rememberPassword: true
| | hostUsername: ''
| | hostPassword: ''
| | rememberHostPassword: true
| | gemService: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | gemnetobject'
| |
| | addToKnownParameters: true) login
| |
| | I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The
| | GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
| | monitor., EOF from SocketRead"
| |
| | On stack in GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments are
| | true (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
| | Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page
| | when I connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.
| |
| | When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance
| | (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks
| | image.
| | Any ideas how to get past this error?
| |
| | Thanks!
| | Karel
| |
| |
| |
| | Dale, I have also wanted to use GBS with VW to connect to
| | Gemstone/S
| | but this would require 2 licenses (i.e. GS and VW) and several
| | thousand dollars later for a proof-of-concept. Thus, the idea was
| | dropped because the powers that be wouldn't provide budget for it.
| | Anyway, is there a GemTools version that supports Gemstone/S 3.0
| | out
| | of the box?
| |
| |
| | -Conrad
| |
| |

Re: Connecting new GLASS appliance with VisualWorks

Dale Henrichs
Conrad,

I haven't tried GemTools with anything later than Pharo 1.1.1. If use an old VM then I asume that things should work fine ... if you run into trouble let me know and I'll see what I can figure out...

Dale

| On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Dale Henrichs < [hidden email]
| > wrote:
|

| Conrad,
|
| The 32 bit gci library is used to connect to 32 bit client Smalltalk
| vms, while the base product is 64 bit. We also have 64 bit gci
| libraries for the 64 bit vms, but in general the 64bit client
| smalltalk vms haven't been as stable as their 32bit counterparts ...
|
| The GemTools that Monty ships with Maglev should work for you ...
|
| Be aware that we don't have a whole lot of experience with running
| mixed systems of Ruby and Smalltalk. Ruby running on top of
| Smalltalk (the standard mechanism for Ruby in MagLev) is tested all
| of the time, but we have not spent a lot of time making sure that
| Smalltalk running in a Ruby extent will work.
|
| Here's some of the skinny on what is going on in the ruby and seaside
| extents. The standard extent0.dbf includes:
|
| - SystemUser owns the base Smalltalk class library (globals found in
| the
| Globals symbolDictionary).
|
| After exten0.dbf is built, we load code as DataCurator and create
| extent0.seaside.dbf:
|
| - DataCurator is loaded up with the GLASS support library (globals
| and method
| extensions found in UserGlobals). Classes include
| Monticello/Metacello support,
| Squeak/Pharo compatibility and GemTools support.
| - Note that loading Seaside is left up to the user.
|
| To create extent0.ruby.dbf, we load in the GLASS support code (same
| as extent0.seaside.dbf) and some ruby-specific Smalltalk code to
| make the extent ruby and smalltalk friendly:
|
| - DataCurator owns all of the artifacts ...
|
| To summarize:
|
| - extent0.dbf - GemStone Smalltalk in Globals owned by SystemUser
| - extent0.seaside.dbf - extent0.dbf plus GLASS base code in
| DataCurator's UserGlobals
| - extent0.ruby.dbf - extent0.seaside.dbf plus ruby support code in
| DataCurator's UserGlobals ...
|

| Running smalltalk code in extent0.dbf has been extensively tested.
| Running Smalltalk, Seaside and Squeak/Pharo compat code has been
| extensively tested in extent0.seaside.dbf. Running Ruby code in
| extent0.ruby.dbf has been extensively tested.
|
| We haven't done a lot of testing of Seaside running in
| extent0.ruby.dbf and there were a handful of issues a month or two
| ago that have not been addressed yet ...
|
| MagLev is a superset of GemStone/S 3.0 so you should be able to run
| pretty much any combination that you want ...
|
| Dale
|

| Dale, I take it that GemTools work with the latest stable version of
| Pharo 1.2.1. If this is the case, I'll proceed in this manner.
|

| -Conrad

| |
| | On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Dale Henrichs <
| | [hidden email]
| | > wrote:
| |
| |
| |
| | Conrad,
| |
| | We don't have a one-click with the 3.0 gci library installed, but
| | the
| | "standard" GemTools works with GemStone 3.0 once you've replaced
| | the
| | gci library with the one that can be found in the $GEMSTONE/lib32
| | directory[1].
| |
| | Does that help?
| |
| | Dale
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Dale, is part of the system 32 bit and others 64 bit? Anyway, I'll
| | attempt to use the Gemstone/S 3.0 that was installed with Maglev.
| | Then I'll try to get the GemTools working from their based on
| | Monty's instructions. I have put this off because I didn't want to
| | ruin my Maglev installation. Next, I see the following within the
| | $GEMSTONE/lib32 directory:
| |
| |
| |
| | $ ls -al
| | total 1928
| | dr-xr-xr-x 5 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12 .
| | drwxr-xr-x 21 conradwt staff 714 Jun 13 00:30 ..
| | -r-xr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 170 Jun 7 13:12
| | ._libgcirpc64-301.dylib.VXfcaM
| | lrwxr-xr-x 1 conradwt staff 21 Jun 7 15:59 libgcirpc.dylib ->
| | libgcirpc64-301.dylib
| | -r-xr-xr-x@ 1 conradwt staff 977764 Jun 7 13:12
| | libgcirpc64-301.dylib
| |
| |
| | -Conrad
| |
| |
| | [1]
| | http://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Install_GCI_library_files
| |
| |
| |
| |

| | |
| | | On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Dale Henrichs <
| | | [hidden email]
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Karel,
| | |
| | | The license settings in the appliance turn off traversal buffers
| | | which are required by GBS. GBS is part of our commercial offering
| | | and we haven't set up free (for any use:) licensing of GBS.
| | |
| | | To get the best experience from the appliance you should use the
| | | GemTools client, since there are tools available from GemTools
| | | that
| | | aren't available through GBS.
| | |
| | | If OmniBrowswer support were to be ported to VisualWorks, then
| | | you'd
| | | be able to use VisualWorks as a GemTools client...
| | |
| | | Dale
| | |
| | | Karel Beyr wrote:
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Hello list,
| | | I am experimenting with the new Glass appliance from Visual Works
| | | 7.7.
| | | When I start fresh visual.im < http://visual.im > , install
| | | parcel
| | | Gembuilder 7.3.1 then when I doIt this code from workspace:
| | |
| | | (GbsSessionParameters
| | | newWithGemStoneName: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | | seaside'
| | |
| | | username: 'SystemUser'
| | | password: 'swordfish'
| | | rememberPassword: true
| | | hostUsername: ''
| | | hostPassword: ''
| | | rememberHostPassword: true
| | | gemService: '!@ 192.168.0.227 < http://192.168.0.227 >!
| | | gemnetobject'
| | |
| | | addToKnownParameters: true) login
| | |
| | | I get an error "Unhandled exception: GbsGsErrStnNetLost - The
| | | GemStone session has lost its connection to the Stone Repository
| | | monitor., EOF from SocketRead"
| | |
| | | On stack in GbsSession>>method basicLoginLinked: all arguments
| | | are
| | | true (e.g. GbsError verify: t1 is: Boolean).
| | | Appliance is running, I get a beautiful "Welcome to Seaside" page
| | | when I connect to http://192.168.0.227 from Firefox.
| | |
| | | When I conducted similar experiments with previous Appliance
| | | (1.0beta11), I managed to connect to gemstone from VisualWorks
| | | image.
| | | Any ideas how to get past this error?
| | |
| | | Thanks!
| | | Karel
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Dale, I have also wanted to use GBS with VW to connect to
| | | Gemstone/S
| | | but this would require 2 licenses (i.e. GS and VW) and several
| | | thousand dollars later for a proof-of-concept. Thus, the idea was
| | | dropped because the powers that be wouldn't provide budget for
| | | it.
| | | Anyway, is there a GemTools version that supports Gemstone/S 3.0
| | | out
| | | of the box?
| | |
| | |