Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Charlie Valizado

How to consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk?

Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

jtuchel
Charlie,

I'm afraid you can't. VAST doesn't support wpf

Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

jtuchel
I mean there sure are ways to achieve what you want. It's just not supported out of the box

Re: Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Charlie Valizado

Hi Joachim,

Thank you very much for the reply.. Do you know if it is possible in Windows Form Control Library instead? Right now we're still having trouble integrating Windows Control Library in Smalltalk. I really appreaciate your insight..

Thank you very much!

Charlie

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 12:29:15 AM UTC-5, Joachim Tuchel wrote:
Charlie,

I'm afraid you can't. VAST doesn't support wpf

Re: Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Instantiations mailing list

On Monday, April 13, 2015 at 9:05:02 AM UTC-5, Charlie Valizado wrote:

How to consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk?

Hi Joachim.

I work with Charlie. When he says we're trying to consume the WPF Control Libray (or the Windows Control Library) in VAST, the full story is that he has created a DLL written in C# that performs the tasks and we're trying to reference said DLL in our VAST application.

You replied that VAST doesn't support WPF but followed up by saying that there are ways to achieve what we want but it's just not out of the box. Does wrapping the functionality of WPF in a DLL count as a way to achieve or is it more than that?

Our problem seems to be that we cannot seem to fully instantiate the OLE Object that wrappers the DLL. We get further in the process with the Windows Control Library DLL than we do with the WPF DLL but in neither case do we complete the initialization.

Am I making sense?

Thank you,
Joel Zecher

Re: Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Joel and Charlie,

I assume you want to access the C#-Dll directly. You will have to write a C-Wrapper-dll for this C#-Dll in order to be able to access your implementation from VASmalltalk

Just to be sure I am getting this right.
You implemented a WPF based ultra thinclient in C# and want to communicate via a dll interface between VASmalltalk and C#?

Cheers!
Sebastian

Am 14.04.2015 um 08:06 schrieb 'Joel Zecher' via VA Smalltalk:

[...]

Hi again,

I just fogot about the Ole comment.

If you are having trouble with the WPF-Ole-Control you might consider  consider making a WinForms usercontrol which wraps the ActiveX control you are trying to use.

Like this?
http://tech.pro/tutorial/799/wpf-tutorial-using-wpf-in-winforms

[...]

Hi Sebastian,

Yes you are right we've created the WPF(C#) Control Library that produces a dll output then we're trying to access it from VASmalltalk.

So your suggestion is to create a "C" wrapper..

Thanks,
Charlie

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 11:01:12 AM UTC-5, Sebastian Heidbrink wrote:
[...]

I already implemented the URL that you sent where the WPF dll being wrapped in Windows Form Control Library/User Control Library but we still have some problem in consumming the dll of the windows form. We also tried to eliminate the WPF in a picture and have the Smalltalk used directly the Windows form user control(dll) unfortunately we've still got no luck..

If we are going to go with your first suggestion where everything should be wrapped into "C" dll, I was thinking on the performance issue as there are multiple layer the calls will be passed in before certain action will be materialized.
1. C Wrapper dll
    1.1 C# Wrapper dll
         1.1.1 WPF dll

Regards,
Charlie

On Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 11:09:42 AM UTC-5, Sebastian Heidbrink wrote:
[...]

well, I have no idea what you try to accomplish, but the only DLL you can acces from VASmalltalk is a C-Dll. There is no DotNETConnect available as far as I know.

Have you already tried to bind a differect ActiveX control like an AdobePdf- or IE- Control into your application?
Just to make sure that your process is right?

I wonder how you want to implement the ui events/callbacks from your C#-WPF-ClientUI-Dll back to VASmalltalk.
Are you just presenting data or do you actually want to replace the UI?

Sebastian

<a moz-do-not-send="true" href="http://tech.pro/tutorial/799/wpf-tutorial-using-wpf-in-winforms" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Ftech.pro%2Ftutorial%2F799%2Fwpf-tutorial-using-wpf-in-winforms\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGvd-ylyhcC_Ne8mdvYOgOVSVmgpw';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Ftech.pro%2Ftutorial%2F799%2Fwpf-tutorial-using-wpf-in-winforms\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGvd-ylyhcC_Ne8mdvYOgOVSVmgpw';return true;">http://tech.pro/tutorial/799/wpf-tutorial-using-wpf-in-winforms

[...]

Marten Feldtmann-2
The only more or less suitable way could be to use it as an ActiveX control - if this does not work you either need a very good C#/Smalltalk expert to make it work somehow or you should look for another solution (either not Smalltalk or not WPF) and to get rid of WPF in your C# solution is perhaps also a good idea and stay with WinForms. Sometimes you may have luck with the WBPro OLE interface system, which sometimes even work better than the base VA OLE stuff. But the VA OLE stuff never reached the quality of the Dolphin GUI stuff.

Another idea is to get rid of the Smalltalk GUI and produce a client<->server system regaring your UI-interface.

I gave up all the ideas of DotNetWrapper or stuff like this. Too difficult and not worth the (very much) time spent. I concentrate now on interprocess communication and use the tools most suitable for the task.

Marten

Am Montag, 13. April 2015 16:05:02 UTC+2 schrieb Charlie Valizado:

How to consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk?

Re: Consume WPF Control Library or Windows Control Library in VA Smalltalk.

Instantiations mailing list
Thank you to all who have replied.

Let me try to give a little more background. We have a legacy Smalltalk application. Among its many features is the ability for users to view scanned images, make annotations on them and send them off as part of a workflow process. Currently this is implemented by having a window with an OLE control on it (specifically a subclass of AbtOleExtendedWidget) that wrappers an image viewer.ocx that is an active-x control written in VB6. Our current mission is to retire everything written in VB6. In this case we're trying to replace the ocx image viewer with a dll image viewer written in C#. We have had success with another dll written in C# that we have been able to access fully from VAST so we are confident that is supported. The only difference between that dll and our current one is that the working one is used more as a library of functions where the new one is an embedded ole widget.

We have a Smalltalk class now that has a set of methods that #invoke: the various features provided by the existing ocx control. We were hoping to get the new dll to support the same #invoke methods so that we would not have to rewrite a class worth of #invoke message calls.

I am responsible for making any changes to the VAST side of the project where Charlie is working on the C# dll. We have some minor leeway in choosing between WPF and another tool as long all required features (like thumbprints) are supported.