Context >> #tempNamed:(put:)

Christoph Thiede

Hi all, I know we are in feature freeze, but that won't stop me from having {fun with, new ideas for} Squeak :-)

So please have a look at the following mini-changeset. It implements #tempNamed: and #tempNamed:put: on Context, which I personally find quite useful when debugging and working with Context objects.

Print it:

thisContext sender tempNamed: #value put: 42

:-)

Feedback welcome as always!

Best,

Christoph

temputils.1.cs (2K) Download Attachment
Carpe Squeak!

Re: Context >> #tempNamed:(put:)

Christoph Thiede
Hi all,

please forgive me for pushing this proposal again after 13 months :-)

Three questions here for everyone to answer:

1. What do you think about the proposal in general? Is it worth merging it
into the Trunk? (Personally, I like to use it nearly every day ...)
2. If you have no objections, what keeps us from merging it? :-)
3. Naming battle: #tempNamed:[put:] vs #tempVarNamed:[put:]?

Side note: If we get this into Trunk, we can also use it in Compiler to
produce more comprehensible #DoItIn: methods, for instance, "(ThisContext
tempNamed: 'failBlock') value" instead of "(ThisContext namedTempAt: 2)
value" - provided that sources are available.

Best,
Christoph

-----
Carpe Squeak!

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Context >> #tempNamed:(put:)

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Christoph,

I have no objection.  I'd like it if Context>>tempNamed:[put:] were in *Tools-Debugger-accessing rather than accessing. But other than that it looks good to me.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 8:40 AM Christoph Thiede <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

please forgive me for pushing this proposal again after 13 months :-)

Three questions here for everyone to answer:

1. What do you think about the proposal in general? Is it worth merging it
into the Trunk? (Personally, I like to use it nearly every day ...)
2. If you have no objections, what keeps us from merging it? :-)
3. Naming battle: #tempNamed:[put:] vs #tempVarNamed:[put:]?

Side note: If we get this into Trunk, we can also use it in Compiler to
produce more comprehensible #DoItIn: methods, for instance, "(ThisContext
tempNamed: 'failBlock') value" instead of "(ThisContext namedTempAt: 2)
value" - provided that sources are available.

Best,
Christoph

-----
Carpe Squeak!