Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi,

I am trying my first contribution / PR to pharo8.0

I started with a latest zeroconfig 8.0 image/vm and I deleted my old fork and made a new one.

But repairing the repository by fetching does not bring it to the detached state

I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395

Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?
What is the difference ?
What about the Remote ?
Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?

Is the documentation

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

really up to date ?

Sven

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

CyrilFerlicot
Le 29/01/2019 à 23:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I am trying my first contribution / PR to pharo8.0
>
> I started with a latest zeroconfig 8.0 image/vm and I deleted my old fork and made a new one.
>
> But repairing the repository by fetching does not bring it to the detached state

Hi,

There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>
> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?

Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
Github option.

The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
contribute the change.

> What is the difference ?
> What about the Remote ?
> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?

Yes!

What I am doing currently:

- Open an issue XX
- Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
it better that way)
- Download a Pharo 8 image
- Checkout the Pharo8.0 branch to get in a clean state because of the
hash eating bug I mentioned earlier
- Create a new branch from a github issue of the pharo remote
- Do the changes and commit. I add `Fixes #XX` in the commit message to
close automatically the issue when the PR is merged.
- Push to my remote
- Open a PR against Pharo8.0 through Iceberg > GitHub > Create new pull
request

> Is the documentation
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> really up to date ?

No

We should correct the hash eating bug before updating it I think.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

ducasse
Hi Sven

> Hi,
>
> I am trying my first contribution / PR to pharo8.0

Excellent

> I started with a latest zeroconfig 8.0 image/vm and I deleted my old fork and made a new one.
>
> But repairing the repository by fetching does not bring it to the detached state

Often I do repair and I create a default branch. I call it bottom*

> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>
> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?
> What is the difference ?

I think that when you do a icebveg github then you you will query the published issues.
with the other you just create a branch

> What about the Remote ?

you should point to the pharo remote and not your fork so that you do not get an invalid

> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?

No you can create a branch with your own name.

> Is the documentation
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>
> really up to date ?

probably not.

> Sven

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

ducasse

> There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
> Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
> we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

OOPs is there a bug entry?

>> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>>
>> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?
>
> Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
> Github option.
>
> The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
> opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
> contribute the change.
>
>> What is the difference ?
>> What about the Remote ?
>> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?
>>

> Yes!
>
> What I am doing currently:
>
> - Open an issue XX
> - Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
> can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
> it better that way)

how do you do it? Pull?

> - Download a Pharo 8 image
> - Checkout the Pharo8.0 branch to get in a clean state because of the
> hash eating bug I mentioned earlier
> - Create a new branch from a github issue of the pharo remote
> - Do the changes and commit. I add `Fixes #XX` in the commit message to
> close automatically the issue when the PR is merged.
> - Push to my remote
> - Open a PR against Pharo8.0 through Iceberg > GitHub > Create new pull
> request

and checkout the pharo 8 branch to fix the next one.

>> Is the documentation
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo
>>
>> really up to date ?
>>

> No
>
> We should correct the hash eating bug before updating it I think.
>
>> Sven
>>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Guillermo Polito
Hi,

there is an issue for this problem,

We have identified the cause, I'll propose a fix now

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 8:44 AM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
> Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
> we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

OOPs is there a bug entry?

>> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>>
>> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?
>
> Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
> Github option.
>
> The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
> opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
> contribute the change.
>
>> What is the difference ?
>> What about the Remote ?
>> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?
>>

> Yes!
>
> What I am doing currently:
>
> - Open an issue XX
> - Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
> can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
> it better that way)

how do you do it? Pull?

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Pavel Krivanek-3
It is working now again as expected.

The only difference is that you need to use "Github-Create new branch for issue..." instead of "Pharo-Create new branch for issue..." for the new issues reported on GitHub.

-- Pavel

st 30. 1. 2019 v 9:42 odesílatel Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> napsal:
Hi,

there is an issue for this problem,

We have identified the cause, I'll propose a fix now

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 8:44 AM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
> Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
> we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

OOPs is there a bug entry?

>> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>>
>> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?
>
> Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
> Github option.
>
> The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
> opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
> contribute the change.
>
>> What is the difference ?
>> What about the Remote ?
>> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?
>>

> Yes!
>
> What I am doing currently:
>
> - Open an issue XX
> - Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
> can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
> it better that way)

how do you do it? Pull?

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189

French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io

Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
I am still stuck.

I did

$ curl -L get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash

Repaired by specifying my local clone

Repaired by fetching

Not in detached state, cannot make branch from issue, screenshot:

What am I doing wrong ?

How do other people do it ?

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2379

We have identified the cause, I'll propose a fix now

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 8:44 AM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
> Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
> we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

OOPs is there a bug entry?

>> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>>
>> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?

> Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
> Github option.

> The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
> opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
> contribute the change.

>> What is the difference ?
>> What about the Remote ?
>> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?
>>

> Yes!

> What I am doing currently:

> - Open an issue XX
> - Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
> can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
> it better that way)

how do you do it? Pull?

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io
Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

EstebanLM
You need to select pharo-project remote (because issues are listed there).

Esteban

On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:04, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am still stuck.

I did

$ curl -L get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash

Repaired by specifying my local clone

Repaired by fetching

Not in detached state, cannot make branch from issue, screenshot:

<Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 16.01.17.png>

What am I doing wrong ?

How do other people do it ?

On 31 Jan 2019, at 08:18, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is working now again as expected.

The only difference is that you need to use "Github-Create new branch for issue..." instead of "Pharo-Create new branch for issue..." for the new issues reported on GitHub.

-- Pavel

st 30. 1. 2019 v 9:42 odesílatel Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> napsal:
Hi,

there is an issue for this problem,

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2379

We have identified the cause, I'll propose a fix now

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 8:44 AM ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is currently a bug eating one character of the commit hash. So
> Iceberg does not find the hash and thinks we need a fetch. So currently
> we need to checkout Pharo8.0 in order to be in a good state :(

OOPs is there a bug entry?

>> I also don't understand how to make an issue branch for
>>
>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2395
>>
>> Is it Iceberg > Pharo > Create new branch for issue or Iceberg > Github > Create new branch for issue ?

> Just create a branch and choose the option to create a branch from a
> Github option.

> The other one was for Manuscript and is now useless for Pharo 8. I
> opened an issue in Iceberg to remove it but I did not got the time to
> contribute the change.

>> What is the difference ?
>> What about the Remote ?
>> Can I work with only an issue on GitHub ?
>>

> Yes!

> What I am doing currently:

> - Open an issue XX
> - Sync my fork Pharo8.0 branch via command line (This is optional and
> can also be done in Pharo. I just do it via command line because I like
> it better that way)

how do you do it? Pull?

--

Guille Polito
Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189
French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr

Web: http://guillep.github.io
Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
OK, I think I did it ;-)

https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/2433

> On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:35, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You need to select pharo-project remote (because issues are listed there).
>
> Esteban
>
>> On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:04, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am still stuck.
>>
>> I did
>>
>> $ curl -L get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
>>
>> Repaired by specifying my local clone
>>
>> Repaired by fetching
>>
>> Not in detached state, cannot make branch from issue, screenshot:
>>
>> <Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 16.01.17.png>
>>
>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>
>> How do other people do it ?
>>
>>> On 31 Jan 2019, at 08:18, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It is working now again as expected.
>>>
>>> The only difference is that you need to use "Github-Create new branch for issue..." instead of "Pharo-Create new branch for issue..." for the new issues reported on GitHub.
>>>
>>> -- Pavel
>>>
>>> st 30. 1. 2019 v 9:42 odesílatel Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> napsal:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> there is an issue for this problem,
>>>
>>> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/issues/2379
>>>
>>> We have identified the cause, I'll propose a fix now

>>> OOPs is there a bug entry?

>>> how do you do it? Pull?

>>> and checkout the pharo 8 branch to fix the next one.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Guille Polito
>>> Research Engineer
>>>
>>> Centre de Recherche en Informatique, Signal et Automatique de Lille
>>> CRIStAL - UMR 9189
>>> French National Center for Scientific Research - http://www.cnrs.fr
>>>
>>> Web: http://guillep.github.io
>>> Phone: +33 06 52 70 66 13

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

ducasse
Cool!

> On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:54, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, I think I did it ;-)
>
> https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/pull/2433
>
>> On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:35, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> You need to select pharo-project remote (because issues are listed there).
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>>> On 1 Feb 2019, at 16:04, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am still stuck.
>>>
>>> I did
>>>
>>> $ curl -L get.pharo.org/64/80+vm | bash
>>>
>>> Repaired by specifying my local clone
>>>
>>> Repaired by fetching
>>>
>>> Not in detached state, cannot make branch from issue, screenshot:
>>>
>>> <Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 16.01.17.png>
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong ?
>>>
>>> How do other people do it ?

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

Ritesh Saini
Having the same issue. Can’t fix! Tried everything :(

Regards,
Ritesh

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

ducasse
Hello ritesh

Do you mean that you do not succeed to send a PR?
Can you describe what you did because with the latest image guille fixed the iceberg bug.

Stef

On 3 Feb 2019, at 12:25, Ritesh Saini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Having the same issue. Can’t fix! Tried everything :(

Regards,
Ritesh

Re: Contribute to pharo8.0 ?

malikshahzadcool