Contribute

Vitor Medina Cruz
Hello,

So, I would like to contribute. I read objects and protocols and developper certificate and I am reading the blue book (well, it is going to take a while, since I am reading it with other things, sice it is not my priority... for now :) ), but I am kind lost of where it would be appropriate to start, what would you suggest?

[]s,
Vitor

Re: Contribute

James Ladd
Hi Vitor,

I think it is great news that you would like to contribute.

As I understand it you are a Windows user and when you get the latest codebase and run 'mvn clean install' there
is a failing test. This failing test only fails on Windows.

Therefore I suggest the most useful place to start is solving the problem with the test.
I think it may be related to paths and how ':' is ';' on windows or something simpler like the use of '/' rather than
'\'.

Fixing this would pave the way for other work which relies on the distribution compiling and testing correctly.

So how about you fix the failing test under windows?

- James.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 3:07 AM, Vitor Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

So, I would like to contribute. I read objects and protocols and developper certificate and I am reading the blue book (well, it is going to take a while, since I am reading it with other things, sice it is not my priority... for now :) ), but I am kind lost of where it would be appropriate to start, what would you suggest?

[]s,
Vitor

Re: Contribute

James Ladd
Ah - all places should use File.separator.
Does the test still fail under windows when using it?

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 18/09/2013, at 10:13 PM, Vitor Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Well, it solves the problem with shouldFindSourceInFile, but not with shouldFindSourceInJar, explanation can be found here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13846000/file-separators-of-path-name-of-zipentry

and here:

http://www.lingala.net/zip4j/forum/index.php?topic=79.0

I think the best is to use "/" instead of File.separator in both production and test code, it solves both problems.

[]s,
Vitor

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:19:44 PM UTC-3, Vitor Cruz wrote:
[...]

Please can you make the change, and then issue a pull request with your
Developer Agreement comment in the pull request?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Vitor Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Agreed - I think the constant should be used

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ok, so I will:

1- Create a constant representing the zip file separator and use it for jar;
2- Leave the File.separator for normal file and adjust the test.

There are other issues preventing the tests to pass that I already corrected. After all that, clean install still fails, but because of a problem with exec-maven-plugin that I didn't dig much deep yet. I will prepare a patch with what I've already done and leave that other problem for later. I don't know if I will have time to do that before weekend, but I will try.

[]s,
Vitor

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 19, 2013 9:28 AM, "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry Alfonso, but I could not find Jar.File.Separator, can you point me to where this constant is? Or did you suggested that I should create a constant for that purpose?

I'm sorry I was unclear, but yes, I meant it should be created.

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed - I think the constant should be used
>>
>> Sent from Hyperspace.
>>
>> On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I recommend using Jar.File.Separator instead of hard-coding the separator?

Re: Contribute

Vitor Medina Cruz
Forget to say it here (don't know if it is necessary), but I sent the pull request. :)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so I will:

1- Create a constant representing the zip file separator and use it for jar;
2- Leave the File.separator for normal file and adjust the test.

There are other issues preventing the tests to pass that I already corrected. After all that, clean install still fails, but because of a problem with exec-maven-plugin that I didn't dig much deep yet. I will prepare a patch with what I've already done and leave that other problem for later. I don't know if I will have time to do that before weekend, but I will try.

[]s,
Vitor

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 19, 2013 9:28 AM, "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry Alfonso, but I could not find Jar.File.Separator, can you point me to where this constant is? Or did you suggested that I should create a constant for that purpose?

I'm sorry I was unclear, but yes, I meant it should be created.

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed - I think the constant should be used
>>
>> Sent from Hyperspace.
>>
>> On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I recommend using Jar.File.Separator instead of hard-coding the separator?

Re: Contribute

James Ladd
Thank you - ill try to incorporate ASAP
At JavaOne right now making everyone aware of Redline

image.jpeg

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 25/09/2013, at 10:45 AM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forget to say it here (don't know if it is necessary), but I sent the pull request. :)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so I will:

1- Create a constant representing the zip file separator and use it for jar;
2- Leave the File.separator for normal file and adjust the test.

There are other issues preventing the tests to pass that I already corrected. After all that, clean install still fails, but because of a problem with exec-maven-plugin that I didn't dig much deep yet. I will prepare a patch with what I've already done and leave that other problem for later. I don't know if I will have time to do that before weekend, but I will try.

[]s,
Vitor

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 19, 2013 9:28 AM, "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry Alfonso, but I could not find Jar.File.Separator, can you point me to where this constant is? Or did you suggested that I should create a constant for that purpose?

I'm sorry I was unclear, but yes, I meant it should be created.

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed - I think the constant should be used
>>
>> Sent from Hyperspace.
>>
>> On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I recommend using Jar.File.Separator instead of hard-coding the separator?

Re: Contribute

Vitor Medina Cruz
Awsome! When you have time please send a note telling us how was at JavaOne :)

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you - ill try to incorporate ASAP
At JavaOne right now making everyone aware of Redline

image.jpeg

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 25/09/2013, at 10:45 AM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forget to say it here (don't know if it is necessary), but I sent the pull request. :)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so I will:

1- Create a constant representing the zip file separator and use it for jar;
2- Leave the File.separator for normal file and adjust the test.

There are other issues preventing the tests to pass that I already corrected. After all that, clean install still fails, but because of a problem with exec-maven-plugin that I didn't dig much deep yet. I will prepare a patch with what I've already done and leave that other problem for later. I don't know if I will have time to do that before weekend, but I will try.

[]s,
Vitor

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 19, 2013 9:28 AM, "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry Alfonso, but I could not find Jar.File.Separator, can you point me to where this constant is? Or did you suggested that I should create a constant for that purpose?

I'm sorry I was unclear, but yes, I meant it should be created.

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed - I think the constant should be used
>>
>> Sent from Hyperspace.
>>
>> On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I recommend using Jar.File.Separator instead of hard-coding the separator?

Re: Contribute

James Ladd
Will do - lots of polyglot talk and I'm working on David Rose and team to get some support for Redline - fingers crossed.

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 25/09/2013, at 11:10 AM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Awsome! When you have time please send a note telling us how was at JavaOne :)

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 3:04 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you - ill try to incorporate ASAP
At JavaOne right now making everyone aware of Redline

<image.jpeg>

Sent from Hyperspace.

On 25/09/2013, at 10:45 AM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forget to say it here (don't know if it is necessary), but I sent the pull request. :)

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Vitor Medina Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, so I will:

1- Create a constant representing the zip file separator and use it for jar;
2- Leave the File.separator for normal file and adjust the test.

There are other issues preventing the tests to pass that I already corrected. After all that, clean install still fails, but because of a problem with exec-maven-plugin that I didn't dig much deep yet. I will prepare a patch with what I've already done and leave that other problem for later. I don't know if I will have time to do that before weekend, but I will try.

[]s,
Vitor

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 19, 2013 9:28 AM, "Vitor Medina Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry Alfonso, but I could not find Jar.File.Separator, can you point me to where this constant is? Or did you suggested that I should create a constant for that purpose?

I'm sorry I was unclear, but yes, I meant it should be created.

> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed - I think the constant should be used
>>
>> Sent from Hyperspace.
>>
>> On 19/09/2013, at 11:41 AM, Alfonso Guerra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Might I recommend using Jar.File.Separator instead of hard-coding the separator?

Re: Contribute

Vitor Medina Cruz
"Merged #183."

So, what's next? :) I sow some tickets on github, but I am not sure of what would be better to do right now.