Contributing code

Evan Donahue
Hello,

I wanted to ask if there was a good resource I could use to learn how to find out about current bugs and submit patches/code/contributions to the core Pharo classes (or other major Pharo projects). I'd like to be able to fix the things I encounter, I've just never gotten around to learning how.

Ideally, it would be great if something could show me how to find and fix some minor tweak of a comment or something like that, just so I know the process. This seems like the kind of thing that is either obvious, or has been addressed somewhere, but for whatever reason, I've never been able to find it.

Thank you,
Evan

Re: Contributing code

Ben Coman

Bugs are tracked at pharo.fogbugz.com.  My screen is a little different to yours since Fogbugz keeps me logged on, but you should see information about signing up. Please let us know of any difficulties. In particular you might not get a confirmation email when you sign up and need to reset your password to gain access like @2:30...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFomI-7h4qQ

Of course its Pharo60/main and Pharo60Inbox/main now rather than Pharo3Inbox. You don't need to request commit rights. Its a public repo.  For your first few slices, do notify pharo-dev mail list  so we can give quick feedback.

btw, @4:45 when it shows committing the Slice to the Inbox, its better to already have an account on SmalltalkHub than sign up after starting the commit.

cheers -ben

P.S. In 60316 it looks like the <Grab> button has been removed from the Slice creator.  What was the reason for that?

The 1 second delay when leaving the issue number field is a little disconcerting.

On 9 Dec 2016 10:16 am, "Evan Donahue" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I wanted to ask if there was a good resource I could use to learn how to find out about current bugs and submit patches/code/contributions to the core Pharo classes (or other major Pharo projects). I'd like to be able to fix the things I encounter, I've just never gotten around to learning how.

Ideally, it would be great if something could show me how to find and fix some minor tweak of a comment or something like that, just so I know the process. This seems like the kind of thing that is either obvious, or has been addressed somewhere, but for whatever reason, I've never been able to find it.

Thank you,
Evan
ksi

Re: Contributing code

ksi
Hallo Evan,
you can also have a look at this good presentation done by Stephan Eggermont
https://vimeo.com/162493974

Hope this helps

Cheers
Kiril

Re: Contributing code

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 9 Dec 2016, at 07:21, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Bugs are tracked at pharo.fogbugz.com.  My screen is a little different to yours since Fogbugz keeps me logged on, but you should see information about signing up. Please let us know of any difficulties. In particular you might not get a confirmation email when you sign up and need to reset your password to gain access like @2:30...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFomI-7h4qQ
>
> Of course its Pharo60/main and Pharo60Inbox/main now rather than Pharo3Inbox. You don't need to request commit rights. Its a public repo.  For your first few slices, do notify pharo-dev mail list  so we can give quick feedback.
>
> btw, @4:45 when it shows committing the Slice to the Inbox, its better to already have an account on SmalltalkHub than sign up after starting the commit.
>
> cheers -ben
>
> P.S. In 60316 it looks like the <Grab> button has been removed from the Slice creator.  What was the reason for that?

A simplification ?

Now you just <enter> (save) the issue number in the first field and then it automagically gets the issue name/label.

> The 1 second delay when leaving the issue number field is a little disconcerting.
>

> On 9 Dec 2016 10:16 am, "Evan Donahue" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to ask if there was a good resource I could use to learn how to find out about current bugs and submit patches/code/contributions to the core Pharo classes (or other major Pharo projects). I'd like to be able to fix the things I encounter, I've just never gotten around to learning how.
>
> Ideally, it would be great if something could show me how to find and fix some minor tweak of a comment or something like that, just so I know the process. This seems like the kind of thing that is either obvious, or has been addressed somewhere, but for whatever reason, I've never been able to find it.
>
> Thank you,
> Evan

Re: Contributing code

stepharong
Hi evan

let us know if you need more guidance.
It is really nice that you want to help improving Pharo.
Tx a lot.