Contributors on VisualWorks line

Janko Mivšek
Hello all,

I went through mails and public Store records year by year to get all
contributors, at least on VisualWorks line of development, and because
this is still the main line, I think we can safely conclude that those
are all contributors to VW line:

        2000 ken mivsek dfarber mas jbacaskas claus jdbell
        2001 ken mivsek jdbell swaring
        2002 ken swaring alexb mivsek mas
        2003 mivsek
        2004 mivsek
        2005 mivsek bbadger
        2006 mivsek bbadger
        2007 mivsek
        2008 mivsek

Contributors for years 2000, 2001 are from first Camp Smalltalk and
those found from mailing list posts. From 2002 on are from public Store
repository.

Counted are also contributors whose contributions were merged by others,
like swaring and jbell from Dolphin port.

Names for initials:

        ken         Ken Treis
        dfarber     David Farber
        mivsek      Janko Mivšek
        mas         Mark A.Schwenk
        jbacanskas  Joseph Bacanskas
        claus       Claus Gittinger
        jdbell      Jerry Bell
        swaring     Steve Waring
        alexb       Alexander Bandelj
        bbadger     Bruce Badger

Best regards
Janko Mivšek

Re: Contributors on VisualWorks line

Bruce Badger
2008/7/7 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:

> Hello all,
>
> I went through mails and public Store records year by year to get all
> contributors, at least on VisualWorks line of development, and because
> this is still the main line, I think we can safely conclude that those
> are all contributors to VW line:
>
>        2000 ken mivsek dfarber mas jbacaskas claus jdbell
>        2001 ken mivsek jdbell swaring
>        2002 ken swaring alexb mivsek mas
>        2003 mivsek
>        2004 mivsek
>        2005 mivsek bbadger
>        2006 mivsek bbadger
>        2007 mivsek
>        2008 mivsek

So by main line you mean the things you released without discussing
them with anyone, like when you release version "Swazoo 1.0" and
completely cut out all the work we at OpenSkills did on what is now
called the Hyper branch of the HTTP server?

Janko, to be a leader you need to be fair to all parties.  Singling me
and my colleagues out for this kind of treatment is quite unfair.  We
put a huge amount of work into Swazoo which you ignore or malign.

Please stop doing that.

http://www.openskills.org/

Bruce Badger wrote:

>> I went through mails and public Store records year by year to get all
>> contributors, at least on VisualWorks line of development, and because
>> this is still the main line, I think we can safely conclude that those
>> are all contributors to VW line:
>>
>>        2000 ken mivsek dfarber mas jbacaskas claus jdbell
>>        2001 ken mivsek jdbell swaring
>>        2002 ken swaring alexb mivsek mas
>>        2003 mivsek
>>        2004 mivsek
>>        2005 mivsek bbadger
>>        2006 mivsek bbadger
>>        2007 mivsek
>>        2008 mivsek

> So by main line you mean the things you released without discussing
> them with anyone, like when you release version "Swazoo 1.0" and
> completely cut out all the work we at OpenSkills did on what is now
> called the Hyper branch of the HTTP server?

This 1.0 discussion is closed for me (anyone interested can go reading
back in mailing list) while near all of your branch is merged in Swazoo
2.x, so it is quite unfair from you to say that. Please Bruce, better
stop now with such accusations. I won't answer to any of such debate in
the future. Hyper is a fork made explicitly by you and until we don't
agree differently (which I still hope) it will stay a fork.

> Janko, to be a leader you need to be fair to all parties.  Singling me
> and my colleagues out for this kind of treatment is quite unfair.  We
> put a huge amount of work into Swazoo which you ignore or malign.
>
> Please stop doing that.

Re: Contributors on VisualWorks line

Bruce Badger
2008/7/7 Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>:
> This 1.0 discussion is closed for me

Well, of course you would like it to be.

> (anyone interested can go reading
> back in mailing list)

They can, but perhaps you could provide a link to where you discussed
the release of 1.0 prior to making the version ... and only then
announcing it?  I don't think you can, because there was no such
discussion.

> while near all of your branch is merged in Swazoo
> 2.x,

Um, no.  Some examples:

You recently posted that Swazoo was not so good at handling POSTs, but
that anyway POSTs were not so common (http://tinyurl.com/6cg6yp).  The
Hyper branch handles POSTs fine, and has done since 2004.

We recently saw someone on this list post a bug with your branch of
the HTTP server ... but that bug does not exist in Hyper, nor has it
since you created Swazoo 1.0. (http://tinyurl.com/66fdec)

Also, the changes in the Hyper branch make it much easier to work with
any resource manager, be it the one in Swazoo or Seaside, for example.
 I don't think you have any of that work in your branch of Swazoo.

And anyway, there is a much easier way to get all of our code ... just
use Hyper.  It's what was released into Store before you released, and
somewhat later announced, Swazoo version 1.0, so why go at it
piecemeal and still have problems such as the above?

> Hyper is a fork made explicitly by you

No.  Hyper was named to distinguish it from the much (several years)
older http code you released in Swazoo 1.0.  The forking action was
yours, Janko, when you made Swazoo 1.0 with no discussion on this list
whatsoever.  Things would have been much better now if you had not
acted as you did, but pretending that you did not fork the project
won't help.

http://www.openskills.org/