Conversion from code pages to unicode

GLASS mailing list

Is there any support for conversion string in a specific code page to unicode in Gemstone/S.

Is it right, that Gemstone/S assumed ISO8859-1 for single-byte strings ? But this will not cover W1252 based strings.

I know, that the low-level libraries Gemstone used support this feature, but it is not available in Smalltalk.

Any ideas ?

Re: Conversion from code pages to unicode

GLASS mailing list

Marten,

I think your best bet would be to look at GRCodec classes and implement your own encoder ... If you do take this route, it would make sense to publish your Codec in the Grease project for others to use.

Dale

On 04/26/2017 12:15 PM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Is there any support for conversion string in a specific code page to unicode in Gemstone/S.

Is it right, that Gemstone/S assumed ISO8859-1 for single-byte strings ? But this will not cover W1252 based strings.

I know, that the low-level libraries Gemstone used support this feature, but it is not available in Smalltalk.

Any ideas ?

Re: Conversion from code pages to unicode

GLASS mailing list

I would rather like to use the embedded ICU libraries of your product ....

Marten

Dale Henrichs via Glass <[hidden email]> hat am 27. April 2017 um 19:35 geschrieben:

Marten,

I think your best bet would be to look at GRCodec classes and implement your own encoder ... If you do take this route, it would make sense to publish your Codec in the Grease project for others to use.

Dale

On 04/26/2017 12:15 PM, Marten Feldtmann via Glass wrote:

Is there any support for conversion string in a specific code page to unicode in Gemstone/S.

Is it right, that Gemstone/S assumed ISO8859-1 for single-byte strings ? But this will not cover W1252 based strings.

I know, that the low-level libraries Gemstone used support this feature, but it is not available in Smalltalk.

Any ideas ?

How to get the installation directory of the Gemdstone/S from within Smalltalk

GLASS mailing list

Does anybody can answer this question ?

Re: How to get the installation directory of the Gemdstone/S from within Smalltalk

GLASS mailing list

Answer myself:

System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GEMSTONE'

Sorry ...

Re: How to get the installation directory of the Gemdstone/S from within Smalltalk

GLASS mailing list

$GEMSTONE should always point to the root of the product installation:

  System gemEnvironmentVariable: 'GEMSTONE'

should do the trick.

Dale