Coral?

abergel
Hi!

After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.
I am just wondering.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Coral?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.

me tooo.

> I am just wondering.

Use coral it is working.
We should get more and more user.
I'm waiting for after next week to introduce a better way to handle file.st,  file.cor.....
When hazel will be working we will use it but this is orhtogonal to Coral.

We have documenting FS and we should improve it too.

Luc told me that he remove the icon to get the start up faster

> Alexandre

Re: Coral?

NorbertHartl
What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway. So where is coral located. Between positioning it as a shell replacement in the mailing list and the "just runs a shell script" is a huge space where it could be actually located. Any hints are appreciated.

Norbert

On 05.03.2011, at 08:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.
>
> me tooo.
>
>> I am just wondering.
>
> Use coral it is working.
> We should get more and more user.
> I'm waiting for after next week to introduce a better way to handle file.st,  file.cor.....
> When hazel will be working we will use it but this is orhtogonal to Coral.
>
> We have documenting FS and we should improve it too.
>
> Luc told me that he remove the icon to get the start up faster
> Stef
>

>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre
>> --
>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Coral?

NorbertHartl

On 05.03.2011, at 12:05, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway. So where is coral located. Between positioning it as a shell replacement in the mailing list and the "just runs a shell script" is a huge space where it could be actually located. Any hints are appreciated.

AbstractLauncher class>>readDocumentAtStartup:

Now trying pharo 1.2.

Norbert

> On 05.03.2011, at 08:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.
>>
>> me tooo.
>>
>>> I am just wondering.
>>
>> Use coral it is working.
>> We should get more and more user.
>> I'm waiting for after next week to introduce a better way to handle file.st,  file.cor.....
>> When hazel will be working we will use it but this is orhtogonal to Coral.
>>
>> We have documenting FS and we should improve it too.
>>
>> Luc told me that he remove the icon to get the start up faster
>> Stef
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Coral?

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 5, 2011, at 12:23 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 05.03.2011, at 12:05, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway. So where is coral located. Between positioning it as a shell replacement in the mailing list and the "just runs a shell script" is a huge space where it could be actually located. Any hints are appreciated.

> AbstractLauncher class>>readDocumentAtStartup:
>
> Now trying pharo 1.2.

The ConfigurationOfCoral loads the wrong FileSystem version, I think... the developer(s) should
fix that.
(Hudson does tell it every day, so I am sure they will not miss it...)

        https://pharo-ic.lille.inria.fr/hudson/job/Pharo%20Coral/

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Coral?

Marcus Denker-4

On Mar 5, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway.

Yes, but the syntax is not really nice with the !
The idea is to have a real syntax for method and class definition *and* provide good libraries to do things you want to do when scripting (reading command line options, Filesystem,
Input/Output....)

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: Coral?

> What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway. So where is coral located. Between positioning it as a shell replacement in the mailing list and the "just runs a shell script" is a huge space where it could be actually located. Any hints are appreciated.

We want a scripting syntax to be able to builds script with pharo so we have coral.
In coral you write

Point >> mydistance
        [
        ^ x * x
        ]

Point class>>myNewPointWithx: anInt withY: another
        [

        ]

With OSProcess we access os behavior and yes I should fix the configurationOf...

We have a more compact class creation syntax

[
Object <| MyPoint
        iv: 'myx'
"not sure that this is like that I'm watching a movie so not pharo "
]

Stef

> Norbert
>

> On 05.03.2011, at 08:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.
>>
>> me tooo.
>>
>>> I am just wondering.
>>
>> Use coral it is working.
>> We should get more and more user.
>> I'm waiting for after next week to introduce a better way to handle file.st,  file.cor.....
>> When hazel will be working we will use it but this is orhtogonal to Coral.
>>
>> We have documenting FS and we should improve it too.
>>
>> Luc told me that he remove the icon to get the start up faster
>> Stef
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Coral?

Ricardo Moran
I haven't really tried Coral yet, so please forgive my ignorance, but have you thought of using a modified block syntax to define methods?
I'm thinking of something like this:

[factorial |
"Answer the factorial of the receiver."

self = 0 ifTrue: [^ 1].
self > 0 ifTrue: [^ self * (self - 1) factorial].
self error: 'Not valid for negative integers'
]

[min: aMin max: aMax |

^ (self min: aMin) max: aMax
]

[+ aNumber |

"Refer to the comment in Number + "
aNumber isInteger ifTrue:
[self negative == aNumber negative
ifTrue: [^ (self digitAdd: aNumber) normalize]
ifFalse: [^ self digitSubtract: aNumber]].
^ aNumber adaptToInteger: self andSend: #+
]

Evaluating one of these expressions could return a compiled method without a class. And since we use the ">>" to retrieve a method, we could use the "<<" operator to add it to a class's method dict.

I think it would make a very simple and consistent syntax. And maybe we could even modify the entire system to support it. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of extra brackets and a vertical bar in the browser if the method's syntax is made more consistent.

Anyway, it's just an idea...

Best regards,
Richo

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is coral all about? There seems to be no documentation except a little tutorial. But the tutorial does not make much sense to me. It explains the installation of coral and the result is that you can run a script from the commandline. Well, that is possible anyway. So where is coral located. Between positioning it as a shell replacement in the mailing list and the "just runs a shell script" is a huge space where it could be actually located. Any hints are appreciated.

We want a scripting syntax to be able to builds script with pharo so we have coral.
In coral you write

Point >> mydistance
       [
       ^ x * x
       ]

Point class>>myNewPointWithx: anInt withY: another
       [

       ]

With OSProcess we access os behavior and yes I should fix the configurationOf...

We have a more compact class creation syntax

[
Object <| MyPoint
       iv: 'myx'
"not sure that this is like that I'm watching a movie so not pharo "
]

Stef

> Norbert
>

> On 05.03.2011, at 08:58, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> After I've tried Hazel, I was wondering what is the status of Coral. I would love to move away from Bash.
>>
>> me tooo.
>>
>>> I am just wondering.
>>
>> Use coral it is working.
>> We should get more and more user.
>> I'm waiting for after next week to introduce a better way to handle file.st,  file.cor.....
>> When hazel will be working we will use it but this is orhtogonal to Coral.
>>
>> We have documenting FS and we should improve it too.
>>
>> Luc told me that he remove the icon to get the start up faster
>> Stef
>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre
>>> --
>>> _,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:
>>> Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu
>>> ^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;._,.;:~^~:;.

Re: Coral?

Stéphane Ducasse
I haven't really tried Coral yet, so please forgive my ignorance, but have you thought of using a modified block syntax to define methods?

> I'm thinking of something like this:
>
> [factorial |
> "Answer the factorial of the receiver."
>
> self = 0 ifTrue: [^ 1].
> self > 0 ifTrue: [^ self * (self - 1) factorial].
> self error: 'Not valid for negative integers'
> ]
>
> [min: aMin max: aMax |
>
> ^ (self min: aMin) max: aMax
> ]
>
> Evaluating one of these expressions could return a compiled method without a class.

since we cannot add a nice scripting syntax without changing the parser we decided to go for a mapping as in the code browser.

hkjhjhjk
        [

                ]

Like that we can build tools and this follow java and other {} languages.

for the << this is fun.

> And since we use the ">>" to retrieve a method, we could use the "<<" operator to add it to a class's method dict.
>
> I think it would make a very simple and consistent syntax. And maybe we could even modify the entire system to support it. I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of extra brackets and a vertical bar in the browser if the method's syntax is made more consistent.

but it would look also different. So getting closer to mainstream is not a bad idea.

Gnu and pepsi did the same and probably resilient.

Stef