Core Dumps on 3.1.0.1

Ken Treis
I thought I might be clear of these, but they're still happening sporadically under Linux with 3.1.0.1. A couple of questions:

* Is there any way to disable the hang time where it waits for a connection from GDB? When one of the back-ends crashes, I'd like it to go down hard and fast so I can detect it and restart it.

* Since I don't have a repeatable scenario that triggers them, what information could I provide post-mortem that might help?

--
Ken Treis
Miriam Technologies, Inc.
(866) 652-2040 x221

Re: Core Dumps on 3.1.0.1

Dale Henrichs
Ken,

Here's how you adjust the core dump timeout:

  Default timeout for gdb to attach in a fast is 60 seconds .
  Example to reduce to 5 seconds
   export GS_CORE_TIME_OUT=5
  in the environment before startstone, topaz and before startnetldi

The stack trace dumped to the gem log is the starting point for debugging the core dumps  ... we can get a lot more information from a Linux box than a Mac. ON the Mac we might be able to get better information about the stack by giving you a slow executable (are you getting these core dumps in production)...

If we're still not sure (or we recognize a problem that we've already fixed) we may have you upgrade to 3.1.0.2 ...

Dale