Core font

Torsten Bergmann
The squeak trunk has a nice looking default font compared
to pharo core (without Freetype).

Wasnt that related to some Cuis changes that were also
integrated into Pharo already? Any chance we can get that
too? Just curious...

Thx
Torsten

--
DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Re: Core font

Adrian Lienhard
Yes, that is possible. We have the Cuis fonts integrated and can use
them in the core.  Like this we can also remove the (ugly) Accuny font.

Any taker?

Adrian

On Nov 11, 2009, at 13:43 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> The squeak trunk has a nice looking default font compared
> to pharo core (without Freetype).
>
> Wasnt that related to some Cuis changes that were also
> integrated into Pharo already? Any chance we can get that
> too? Just curious...
>
> Thx
> Torsten
>

> --
> DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
> 16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Re: Core font

Henrik Sperre Johansen
I worked on this at the Lille sprint, the reason the shift to DejaVu
StrikeFonts hasn't been pushed (by me) is the BitBlt bug that Juan
fixed recently, and which is not in published VMs yet.

Basically, due to overflows in the primitives when dealing with alpha
values, when you drag a window in Pharo the text turns partly
transparent, which is not very nice.
(Squeak doesn't cache the window being dragged in a Form, then bitblt
that instead of redrawing the entire window, so it doesn't experience
the same symptoms of the bug)

If you want to use it in Core, evaluate StrikeFont installDejaVu,
before new VMs with the fix included become generally available I
wouldn't recommend using it by default though.

Chers,
Henry

On Nov 11, 2009, at 2:03 22PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Yes, that is possible. We have the Cuis fonts integrated and can use
> them in the core.  Like this we can also remove the (ugly) Accuny
> font.
>
> Any taker?
>
> Adrian
>
> On Nov 11, 2009, at 13:43 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> The squeak trunk has a nice looking default font compared
>> to pharo core (without Freetype).
>>
>> Wasnt that related to some Cuis changes that were also
>> integrated into Pharo already? Any chance we can get that
>> too? Just curious...
>>
>> Thx
>> Torsten
>>

>> --
>> DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
>> 16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Re: Core font

Mariano Martinez Peck
Henrik do you know the state of this issue with the VMs ?

Maybe we can create an issue so that not to forget.

cheers

mariano

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Henrik Johansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I worked on this at the Lille sprint, the reason the shift to DejaVu
StrikeFonts hasn't been pushed (by me) is the BitBlt bug that Juan
fixed recently, and which is not in published VMs yet.

Basically, due to overflows in the primitives when dealing with alpha
values, when you drag a window in Pharo the text turns partly
transparent, which is not very nice.
(Squeak doesn't cache the window being dragged in a Form, then bitblt
that instead of redrawing the entire window, so it doesn't experience
the same symptoms of the bug)

If you want to use it in Core, evaluate StrikeFont installDejaVu,
before new VMs with the fix included become generally available I
wouldn't recommend using it by default though.

Chers,
Henry

On Nov 11, 2009, at 2:03 22PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Yes, that is possible. We have the Cuis fonts integrated and can use
> them in the core.  Like this we can also remove the (ugly) Accuny
> font.
>
> Any taker?
>
> Adrian
>
> On Nov 11, 2009, at 13:43 , Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> The squeak trunk has a nice looking default font compared
>> to pharo core (without Freetype).
>>
>> Wasnt that related to some Cuis changes that were also
>> integrated into Pharo already? Any chance we can get that
>> too? Just curious...
>>
>> Thx
>> Torsten
>>

>> --
>> DSL-Preisknaller: DSL Komplettpakete von GMX schon für
>> 16,99 Euro mtl.!* Hier klicken: http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Re: Core font

Henrik Sperre Johansen
The fix was submitted a few months ago by Juan, and has been in VMMaker since shortly since.
AFAIK, the only offical VM including it at the moment is John's beta 5.0 VM's for OSX.

I've built a version to use on Windows including it, but that's more of a private intermediate solution while waiting for an official release including all the fixes that have been made since 3.11.5 :)

Cheers,
Henry