Correct usage of Comet

John Toohey
Hi,
I've download the latest Comet build and in less than an hour, had it
working with my Seaside 2.9 app. Excellent, as usual, but I have some
questions about the correct usage.

- How does the disconnect method work, and how and when should I call
it. If I am using Comet from numerous components, can it cause
problems with the browser, if I don't call disconect.

- What is the correct usage of the reconnect method?

Thanks.

--
-JT

Re: Correct usage of Comet

Lukas Renggli
> - How does the disconnect method work, and how and when should I call
> it. If I am using Comet from numerous components, can it cause
> problems with the browser, if I don't call disconect.

Web browsers usually limit the number of open connections per Window.
The exact number depends on the browser, but in all cases it is rather
low. As far as I remember the default setting in FireFox limits it to
two concurrent connections. So if you want to do AJAX calls aside, you
can only have one Comet connection per page. Thus in you case all
components probably want to share a single Comet connection.

> - What is the correct usage of the reconnect method?

Normally you don't need to call these methods manually, unless you
want limit the lifetime of a Comet connection. #disconnect is
automatically performed when you navigate to a new page, #reconnect is
automatically performed when you loose an open connection.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Correct usage of Comet

John Toohey-2
Hi Lukas,

Is it the network.http.max-connections-per-server key in Firefox that
controls this? The default in the latest Firefox is set to 15, for
this key. I also found
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server which is set to 18.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 02:31, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> - How does the disconnect method work, and how and when should I call
>> it. If I am using Comet from numerous components, can it cause
>> problems with the browser, if I don't call disconect.
>
> Web browsers usually limit the number of open connections per Window.
> The exact number depends on the browser, but in all cases it is rather
> low. As far as I remember the default setting in FireFox limits it to
> two concurrent connections. So if you want to do AJAX calls aside, you
> can only have one Comet connection per page. Thus in you case all
> components probably want to share a single Comet connection.
>
>> - What is the correct usage of the reconnect method?
>
> Normally you don't need to call these methods manually, unless you
> want limit the lifetime of a Comet connection. #disconnect is
> automatically performed when you navigate to a new page, #reconnect is
> automatically performed when you loose an open connection.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

-JT

Re: Correct usage of Comet

drush66
On 4/13/09, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Lukas,
>
>  Is it the network.http.max-connections-per-server key in Firefox that
>  controls this? The default in the latest Firefox is set to 15, for
>  this key. I also found
>  network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server which is set to 18.

Even if your browser has a larger value, unless you can control your
user browsers, most of your clients probably still have 2, since that
was recommended setting used as default by almost all browsers. So
mybe it is wiser to work with lower number.

Now if I can hijack part of you thread, I would like to know if anyone
has experience with more heavy Comet load, like tens or hundred of
listeners and several messages to each in a second? Could typical
intel server running Seaside handle something like that?

many thanks,

rush
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Correct usage of Comet

Lukas Renggli
> Is it the network.http.max-connections-per-server key in Firefox
> that controls this? The default in the latest Firefox is set to 15, for
> this key. I also found network.http.max-persistent-connections-
> per-server which is set to 18.

I don't remember which value this is. It certainly used to be much
lower a few years ago.

> Now if I can hijack part of you thread, I would like to know if anyone
> has experience with more heavy Comet load, like tens or hundred of
> listeners and several messages to each in a second? Could typical
> intel server running Seaside handle something like that?

I can't tell, because I don't know of anybody that used it in
production. The implementation is very lightweight though. On the
server an open socket and a few associated objects are consumed per
connection.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

RE: Correct usage of Comet

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Some might find this interesting,

http://tinyurl.com/d6gb9e

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This email is intended only for the persons named in the message header.
Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is private and
confidential. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
and delete the entire message including any attachments.

Thank you.