CouchDB 1.0.1

Dennis Schetinin
Hi all!

I've recently loaded CouchDB package, and patched it to work with v. 1.0.1 of the DB… well, at least all the tests are working now. Was easy enough. The only issue is the dependence of some tests on URL comparison, particularly, #stringRepresentationPartsMatch: in URLwithPath. It compares paths, using #=:

stringRepresentationPartsMatch: aURI

    ^self path = aURI path
        and: [self query = aURI query
            and: [self fragment = aURI fragment]]

The problems is the paths can be an OrderedCollection in one cases, and an Array in others. I was unable find why. So I've overriden the method:

stringRepresentationPartsMatch: aURI

    ^(self path isSameSequenceAs: aURI path)
        and: [self query = aURI query and: [self fragment = aURI fragment]]

I've created a specia CouchDB Prerequisites package. But IMO this override looks like a hack. I'd like to publish my modifications in Cincom Public Repository, but I'm not sure I should do it this way... Any suggestions?

--
Dennis Schetinin

Re: CouchDB 1.0.1

Michael Lucas-Smith-2

stringRepresentationPartsMatch: aURI

    ^(self path isSameSequenceAs: aURI path)
        and: [self query = aURI query and: [self fragment = aURI fragment]]

I've created a specia CouchDB Prerequisites package. But IMO this override looks like a hack. I'd like to publish my modifications in Cincom Public Repository, but I'm not sure I should do it this way... Any suggestions?

Publish away! :) That's the best way to learn and get involved is to just jump right in. In this case, this code is myself and James Robertson and we haven't touched it in a good while, so have at it.

Michael

Re: CouchDB 1.0.1

Rick Flower
On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:05:24 -0700, Michael Lucas-Smith

> Publish away! :) That's the best way to learn and get involved is to
just
> jump right in. In this case, this code is myself and James Robertson and
we
> haven't touched it in a good while, so have at it.

Without having access to the code (haven't yet been able
to get VW to access the repository from behind our
authenicating proxy) while at work, can this be used to
store objects in addition to groups of 'text' fields
(aka docs) and that sort of thing.. Seems like an
interesting framework after reading about it on the
Apache site..

Re: CouchDB 1.0.1

Michael Lucas-Smith-2
Well you'd have to figure out how you want to encode your objects, but sure.

On Aug 25, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Rick Flower wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:05:24 -0700, Michael Lucas-Smith
>
>> Publish away! :) That's the best way to learn and get involved is to
> just
>> jump right in. In this case, this code is myself and James Robertson and
> we
>> haven't touched it in a good while, so have at it.
>
> Without having access to the code (haven't yet been able
> to get VW to access the repository from behind our
> authenicating proxy) while at work, can this be used to
> store objects in addition to groups of 'text' fields
> (aka docs) and that sort of thing.. Seems like an
> interesting framework after reading about it on the
> Apache site..

Re: CouchDB 1.0.1

Runar Jordahl
I briefly looked at CouchDB myself and it looks interesting. I would
however also recommend looking at Cassandra (
http://cassandra.apache.org/ ). Cassandra has a basic interface in
Pharo, but none in VisualWorks, as far as I am aware of.

Both databases can be considered No-SQL, and share many properties.
>From my limited understanding, Cassandra would scale more easily (just
add boxes) and scale better than CouchDB. Read
http://spyced.blogspot.com/2008/12/couchdb-not-drinking-kool-aid.html
for details.

Note that I am not saying Cassandra is a better product than CouchDB.

Runar