Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Chris Uppal-3
Hi all,

I'm looking for some kind soul willing to help me test some code on WinXP sp2
and (if anyone's using it) Win 2003.

I've been messing around with reading and writing Windows resources (in DLL
files, etc) and it mostly seems to work, and I can now add and remove icons,
etc.  However there is a problem in that deleting resources doesn't seem to
work properly on either my WinXP sp1 machine nor on my W2k machine.  I can't
find anything that I'm doing wrong, so I assume that it's Windows bug.  I've
created a workaround which seems OK too.

But...  There's a Windows KB article
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833659
which might be taken to suggest that the problem has been fixed in sp2 (as
usual the bug description gives no hint whether its a problem that might affect
one system in a million, or whether its a total screw-up with code that can
never have worked at all).  So I'd like to know whether sp2 does actually fix
the problem, and -- perhaps even more importantly -- whether it breaks my
workaround.

To test it, if anyone is willing to help, you'll need to download
    http://ephemera.metagnostic.org/code/RWT.zip
(23K zipped, two packages).  You'll also need to be running the Pro version of
Dolphin 5 for the test to work.

Feel free to rummage around as much as you wish, but the test I'd like to know
the result of is just to execute:
    WindowsResourceWriter bugCheck
and tell me what's written to the Transcript.  It should only take a second to
run (unless you choose to step through it, which is what /I/ would do -- too
paranoid....)

On my system it produces:
===========
System version:
    dwMajorVersion 5
    dwMinorVersion 1
    dwBuildNumber 2600
    dwPlatformId 2
    szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 1'
WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: The parameter is incorrect.
===========

Many thanks in advance.

    -- chris

Re: Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Ian Bartholomew-21
Chris,

> I'm looking for some kind soul willing to help me test some code on WinXP sp2
> and (if anyone's using it) Win 2003.

XP SP2 and Dolphin 5.1.4 gives...

System version:
        dwMajorVersion 5
        dwMinorVersion 1
        dwBuildNumber 2600
        dwPlatformId 2
        szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 2'

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

Re: Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Andreas Wacknitz
Chris Uppal wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for some kind soul willing to help me test some code on WinXP
> sp2 and (if anyone's using it) Win 2003.
>
> I've been messing around with reading and writing Windows resources (in
> DLL files, etc) and it mostly seems to work, and I can now add and remove
> icons,
> etc.  However there is a problem in that deleting resources doesn't seem
> work properly on either my WinXP sp1 machine nor on my W2k machine.  I
> can't
> find anything that I'm doing wrong, so I assume that it's Windows bug.
> I've created a workaround which seems OK too.
>
> But...  There's a Windows KB article
>     http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833659
> which might be taken to suggest that the problem has been fixed in sp2 (as
> usual the bug description gives no hint whether its a problem that might
> affect one system in a million, or whether its a total screw-up with code
> that can
> never have worked at all).  So I'd like to know whether sp2 does actually
> fix the problem, and -- perhaps even more importantly -- whether it breaks
> my workaround.
>
> To test it, if anyone is willing to help, you'll need to download
>     http://ephemera.metagnostic.org/code/RWT.zip
> (23K zipped, two packages).  You'll also need to be running the Pro
> version of Dolphin 5 for the test to work.
>
> Feel free to rummage around as much as you wish, but the test I'd like to
> know the result of is just to execute:
>     WindowsResourceWriter bugCheck
> and tell me what's written to the Transcript.  It should only take a
> second to run (unless you choose to step through it, which is what /I/
> would do -- too paranoid....)
>
> On my system it produces:
> ===========
> System version:
>     dwMajorVersion 5
>     dwMinorVersion 1
>     dwBuildNumber 2600
>     dwPlatformId 2
>     szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 1'
> WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
> WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: The parameter is incorrect.
> ===========
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
>     -- chris

German Windows XP SP2 gives:
"
System version:
        dwMajorVersion 5
        dwMinorVersion 1
        dwBuildNumber 2600
        dwPlatformId 2
        szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 2'
WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: Falscher Parameter.
"

Best regards,
Andreas

Re: Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Chris Uppal-3
Andreas, Ian,

> WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
> WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: Falscher Parameter.

Wow, you guys don't hang around do you ?  That was /fast/...

Thank you both very much (and anyone else who has or will try it).

The good news is that my workaround still works.  the bad news is that it's
still needed -- which suggests there may be a problem in the way I'm doing it
after all (though the same problem occurs with C code).  Oh well...

I'll re-work it a bit, and do some more testing, and then it'll appear on my
website if and when I update that.

Thanks again.

Chris Uppal wrote:

> Andreas, Ian,
>
>> WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
>> WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: Falscher Parameter.
>
> Wow, you guys don't hang around do you ?  That was /fast/...
>
> Thank you both very much (and anyone else who has or will try it).
>
> The good news is that my workaround still works.  the bad news is that
> it's still needed -- which suggests there may be a problem in the way I'm
> doing it
> after all (though the same problem occurs with C code).  Oh well...
>
> I'll re-work it a bit, and do some more testing, and then it'll appear on
> my website if and when I update that.
>
> Thanks again.
>
>     -- chris
I have also tested it on a german W2K3SP1 system:
"
System version:
        dwMajorVersion 5
        dwMinorVersion 2
        dwBuildNumber 3790
        dwPlatformId 2
        szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 1'
WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: Falscher Parameter.
"

But Dolphin hangs after this when touching the system transcript. I don't
know whether this is related to your package as I haven't used Dolphin on
W2K3 system before. (It is a fresh D5SP4 installation.)

Best regards,
Andreas

Re: Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

Chris Uppal-3
Andreas,

> I have also tested it on a german W2K3SP1 system:

Thank you once again.

> But Dolphin hangs after this when touching the system transcript. I don't
> know whether this is related to your package as I haven't used Dolphin on
> W2K3 system before. (It is a fresh D5SP4 installation.)

I suspect that it is related to my code.  When the error message is writen to
the Transcript, the system is about 3 levels deep in callbacks from Windows
(specifically the apparently buggy resource-handling code), which the VM will
then abruptly unwind (I think), so it's not too surprising that something goes
wrong.  I have no idea /what/ has gone wrong, but I'm not surprised that it has
;-)

Anyway, that settles it.  Clearly the "correct" way of removing resources is
broken, so I should merge my two classes together and only provide the hacky
method of doing it.  A pity, but it'll make things simpler for other people to
use if there aren't two versions of the same class.

    -- chris

Re: Could someone test something on XPsp2 please ?

ChanHong Kim
I'm using Korean Windows XP SP2.
My result is same with anothers.

N.B.: The meaning of last line is "Incorrect parameter"....

The output is:....

System version:
        dwMajorVersion 5
        dwMinorVersion 1
        dwBuildNumber 2600
        dwPlatformId 2
        szCSDVersion 'Service Pack 2'
WindowsResourceWriterAlt  -- deleting icon groups seems to work
WindowsResourceWriter -- Windows error: 매개 변수가 틀립니다.

ChanHong Kim wrote:

> I'm using Korean Windows XP SP2.
> My result is same with anothers.

Thank you.