Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

stepharo
Hi guys

I will start to be picky about the mails to which I reply or even read.
We should be more disciplined. Pharo-dev should be about Pharo-dev this
is important
for our concentration.
I really like the other discussions but we should have them in Pharo-users.
I think that it makes sense.

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

SergeStinckwich
+1

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

NorbertHartl
Absolutely!

Norbert

> Am 15.01.2015 um 08:24 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi guys
>
> I will start to be picky about the mails to which I reply or even read.
> We should be more disciplined. Pharo-dev should be about Pharo-dev this is important
> for our concentration.
> I really like the other discussions but we should have them in Pharo-users.
> I think that it makes sense.
>
> Stef

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 15 Jan 2015, at 08:24, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi guys
>
> I will start to be picky about the mails to which I reply or even read.
> We should be more disciplined. Pharo-dev should be about Pharo-dev this is important
> for our concentration.
> I really like the other discussions but we should have them in Pharo-users.
> I think that it makes sense.
>
> Stef

YES !

We should also ourselves use the right mailing list when asking our own questions.

And we should point people using the wrong list to the right one.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 9:38 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 15 Jan 2015, at 08:24, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> I will start to be picky about the mails to which I reply or even read.
>> We should be more disciplined. Pharo-dev should be about Pharo-dev this is important
>> for our concentration.
>> I really like the other discussions but we should have them in Pharo-users.
>> I think that it makes sense.
>>
>> Stef
>
> YES !
>
> We should also ourselves use the right mailing list when asking our own questions.
>
> And we should point people using the wrong list to the right one.

+1

and point to Pharo StackOverflow questions/answers if necessary.

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

Stephan Eggermont-3
Serge wrote:
>and point to Pharo StackOverflow questions/answers if necessary.

That is a bad idea. Stackoverflow works pretty bad for us.
Questions get closed by clueless moderators.
The gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream technologies.

Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

Frank Shearar-3
On 15 January 2015 at 10:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Serge wrote:
>>and point to Pharo StackOverflow questions/answers if necessary.
>
> That is a bad idea. Stackoverflow works pretty bad for us.
> Questions get closed by clueless moderators.
> The gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream technologies.

I don't see how "[t]he gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream
technologies" can be true. F#, Clojure, Haskell are hardly mainstream
technologies, and SO works just great for them.

frank

> Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

Max Leske

> On 15 Jan 2015, at 11:26, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Serge wrote:
>> and point to Pharo StackOverflow questions/answers if necessary.
>
> That is a bad idea. Stackoverflow works pretty bad for us.
> Questions get closed by clueless moderators.
> The gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream technologies.

I don’t agree. I think it works great. Yes, not everything works perfectly but the pharo traffic has increased quite a bit on SO and people go there to ask questions.

There are also a couple of outstanding answers to problems in the Smalltalk world on SO that I doubt you would find on the mailing lists.

Cheers,
Max

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Serge wrote:
>>and point to Pharo StackOverflow questions/answers if necessary.
>
> That is a bad idea. Stackoverflow works pretty bad for us.
> Questions get closed by clueless moderators.
> The gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream technologies.

I was not aware of that. Do you have recent examples about this behaviour ?
Shall we move the discussion to pharo-users instead ?

Frank wrote:
>I don't see how "[t]he gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream
>technologies" can be true. F#, Clojure, Haskell are hardly mainstream
>technologies, and SO works just great for them.

It doesn't for smalltalk. Just take a look at top users for [smalltalk]
and compare. Then look at the questions and compare the homework
to other ones.

F# and Clojure are seen by mainstream users of respectively java and C#
as interesting technology to possibly switch to. The smallest of them already
has 7 times as many questions.

Max wrote:
>There are also a couple of outstanding answers to problems in the
>Smalltalk world on SO that I doubt you would find on the mailing lists.

100% of them are given by people who also answer those questions on the
mailing lists.

Stephan

Re: [Pharo-users] Could we keep Pharo-dev for Pharo-dev?

philippeback

Le 15 janv. 2015 12:20, "Stephan Eggermont" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Frank wrote:
> >I don't see how "[t]he gaming system doesn't work for non-mainstream
> >technologies" can be true. F#, Clojure, Haskell are hardly mainstream
> >technologies, and SO works just great for them.
>
> It doesn't for smalltalk. Just take a look at top users for [smalltalk]
> and compare. Then look at the questions and compare the homework
> to other ones.
>
> F# and Clojure are seen by mainstream users of respectively java and C#
> as interesting technology to possibly switch to. The smallest of them already
> has 7 times as many questions.
>
> Max wrote:
> >There are also a couple of outstanding answers to problems in the
> >Smalltalk world on SO that I doubt you would find on the mailing lists.
>
> 100% of them are given by people who also answer those questions on the
> mailing lists.
>
> Stephan

Traffic increases as a sign of traction/engagement and we want to silence things. Yeah sure.

Put a tag in the title and filter on that.

Phil